theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Enhanced DBS

Enhanced DBS

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Sue - 27 Nov 17 1:29 PM
Hi Debbie,Thank you so much for your quick reply it is very much appreciated.I have got copies of everything I sent into them 3 1/2 years ago which includes a separate letter which states what happened in more details. When I first started the position they advised they would do a DBS check however I never received a certificate in the post, Which to be honest I was not worried about and never ever brought it to their attention. What I am going to do is take the certificate in and give it to them in an envelope I don't think I'm going to say anything as I'm so nervous about this, I think I am going to wait for them to come to me and then I can advise. If it does come to the point where I will lose my job I think I have a fair chance of taking them to a tribunal as I have all the copies of which I sent into them which I can prove that I sent them as they are all dated and signed, however could they advise that they never ever receive them in which case they may advise that I never sent them in the first place, however I also put in the same envelope my bank details which they have received as I've had no problem with wages. Do you think it's better for me to go in and give them the certificate and say something or just leave it with them in the envelope? Thank you so much as well for all your information hope to hear from you soon as I am back at work tomorrow, and feel very sick. Kindest regardsSue

Hi Sue

Great to hear that you've kept copies of everything - it's always something that we advise but often gets forgotten. 

I'd just hand the certificate over. As far as you're concerned they know about the conviction and there's nothing else for you to say. 

Hope everything goes well. Try not to worry too much. Let us know how you get on.

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Sue
Sue
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)

Hi Debbie,

Thank you so much for your quick reply it is very much appreciated.

I have got copies of everything I sent into them 3 1/2 years ago which includes a separate letter which states what happened in more details. When I first started the position they advised they would do a DBS check however I never received a certificate in the post, Which to be honest I was not worried about and never ever brought it to their attention.

What I am going to do is take the certificate in and give it to them in an envelope I don't think I'm going to say anything as I'm so nervous about this, I think I am going to wait for them to come to me and then I can advise. If it does come to the point where I will lose my job I think I have a fair chance of taking them to a tribunal as I have all the copies of which I sent into them which I can prove that I sent them as they are all dated and signed, however could they advise that they never ever receive them in which case they may advise that I never sent them in the first place, however I also put in the same envelope my bank details which they have received as I've had no problem with wages.

Do you think it's better for me to go in and give them the certificate and say something or just leave it with them in the envelope?

Thank you so much as well for all your information hope to hear from you soon as I am back at work tomorrow, and feel very sick.

Kindest regards

Sue
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)Supreme Being (84K reputation)

Sue - 24 Nov 17 10:23 AM
Hi,I have been on here a few times, but now I need the advise again, I'll start from the beginning .... I have been in my job for 3 1/2 years, when I started I filled in the application form and I added a letter in a private envelope with the application form advising of any convictions so they would know from the start.I was so happy when I was offered the job, and I started without any problems, but earlier this year they advised that we will all need to do our enhance checks again, which I was worried about but I felt that I have been very honest anyway and there would not be a problem. I filled out the application online as requested by HR and on the form it advised have you got any underspent convictions, and I put no, as my convictions were in 2005 even though I've got more than one conviction they are still spent, which I contacted your lovely selves and you advised I completed the form correctly. The form was sent into HR and that was back in August, I have now woken up this morning and found my enhanced DBS check and the conviction showing, which I always knew they would but what do I do now?The problem I have is that I don't think HR are are aware of any of my convictions, I know I sent the form and the letter in with my application form but I really do not think they know, what the hell do I do now? I have been in my current job for 3 1/2 years happy with no problems and I'm good at my job I don't cause any problems can I get the sack for this, my convictions were nearly over 12 years ago and I was in a different place to when I am now, I know that's an old story but it's true. My convictions were all related to driving I was in a car and over the limit not driving which I got points and a fine, when I was arrested one of the police officers was quite brutal which I am not a aggressive person but they advised I scratched them and I've got a fine for assault, as I was sitting in a car that was not mine I was not insured which I got another conviction and fine. I really do not know what to do. Shall I just go to HR and hand it in thinking they already know and wait for them to come to me, or do I go in and ask to speak to someone privately, I knew this would happen and I've been waiting for the last six months but now I'm so worried I'm gonna lose my job over this.Thanking to everyone who can help me.

Hi Sue

From what you've said, I can't see that you've done anything wrong. You initially disclosed your conviction when you first applied for the job (it would be great if you'd kept a copy of this but more often that not, people don't). Did the company do any formal criminal record checks at that time?

With regard to the latest criminal record check, if all you were asked to provide was details of any unspent convictions and your convictions are now spent then you'd have nothing to disclose. In any event, this question would probably lead you to believe that the company would only be doing a basic criminal record check.  Out of interest, what job is it? Are you sure that they should be doing an enhanced check? 

If I were you, I'd assume that the company are aware of the convictions. At the end of the day, they are pretty minor and happened a very long time ago. I would just hand over the certificate to the HR Manager. If you don't think that she's aware of the conviction you may want to say something like 'I'm not sure whether you know about this, I did disclose it at the time of my appointment but if you want to ask me anything about it, I'd be happy to answer any questions'.  

Having been in post for over 3 years, you've already proved that you're a great asset to the company and that your convictions are not relevant to your job. I think it's very unlikely that you'd lose your job. 

If the worst happens, you're in a fortunate position in having some employment rights but I'm sure you won't need to go down this route.

Let us know how you get on and if you have any other questions, feel free to give our helpline a call. 

Best wishes

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Sue
Sue
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)

Hi,
I have been on here a few times, but now I need the advise again, I'll start from the beginning ....

I have been in my job for 3 1/2 years, when I started I filled in the application form and I added a letter in a private envelope with the application form advising of any convictions so they would know from the start.
I was so happy when I was offered the job, and I started without any problems, but earlier this year they advised that we will all need to do our enhance checks again, which I was worried about but I felt that I have been very honest anyway and there would not be a problem.
I filled out the application online as requested by HR and on the form it advised have you got any underspent convictions, and I put no, as my convictions were in 2005 even though I've got more than one conviction they are still spent, which I contacted your lovely selves and you advised I completed the form correctly. The form was sent into HR and that was back in August, I have now woken up this morning and found my enhanced DBS check and the conviction showing, which I always knew they would but what do I do now?
The problem I have is that I don't think HR are are aware of any of my convictions, I know I sent the form and the letter in with my application form but I really do not think they know, what the hell do I do now?
I have been in my current job for 3 1/2 years happy with no problems and I'm good at my job I don't cause any problems can I get the sack for this, my convictions were nearly over 12 years ago and I was in a different place to when I am now, I know that's an old story but it's true. My convictions were all related to driving I was in a car and over the limit not driving which I got points and a fine, when I was arrested one of the police officers was quite brutal which I am not a aggressive person but they advised I scratched them and I've got a fine for assault, as I was sitting in a car that was not mine I was not insured which I got another conviction and fine. I really do not know what to do. Shall I just go to HR and hand it in thinking they already know and wait for them to come to me, or do I go in and ask to speak to someone privately, I knew this would happen and I've been waiting for the last six months but now I'm so worried I'm gonna lose my job over this.
Thanking to everyone who can help me.

GO