theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

DBS certificate query

DBS certificate query

Author
Neo Matrix
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
AB2014 - 21 Aug 18 9:06 AM
GaryTS - 16 Aug 18 4:31 PM
Worry over!

I have just gone through and entered all of them even the ones listed below just to be on the safe side and it still says they will be spent In October this year.

I was really starting to worry there i thought that if they are all classed as a separate conviction that it would mess up the spent date.

I would still like to clarify if they each amount to a conviction or if the offences listed below are tic's or something else.

I guess its bad of me not to check this out before hand i never really questioned it as i was upfront and honest with my employer at the time and they gave me a second chance and a job.

But now i am looking to progress and try to get into a profession its kind of good to know where i stand and understand fully what everything means on the DBS check.

bare in mind the attachment i added was when they used the old CRB checks.

I hope fingers crossed that they will remain spent but i have been informing employers i only have 2 convictions as per my CRB it states the same so i have not been lying i was purely just uneducated.on the matter.

thanks

Gary

Don't get hung up on what you might have done differently before! They will be counted as three convictions, but that makes no difference to when they become spent, and once they are spent they will remain spent. You will need to make sure that you have paid the compensation to the court, though, as they will not become spent while you have an outstanding compensation order. It is worth checking with the DBS to make sure that they have the compensation recorded as being paid in full. If they haven't, then you can contact the court to ask for written confirmation that you have paid, which you can then forward to the DBS.

Regarding telling an employer about how many convictions you have, as it isn't exactly obvious what is going on, you can just say that it looks like they are listed as two convictions, so that is what you told them.

Just to confirm aswell I have paid all of the compensation off which was owed.

I did not know about checking witht he DBS so i will double check that because that is the last thing i want coming back to me.

Thanks again

Neo
Neo Matrix
Neo Matrix
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)

AB2014 - 21 Aug 18 9:06 AM
Worry over!

I have just gone through and entered all of them even the ones listed below just to be on the safe side and it still says they will be spent In October this year.

I was really starting to worry there i thought that if they are all classed as a separate conviction that it would mess up the spent date.

I would still like to clarify if they each amount to a conviction or if the offences listed below are tic's or something else.

I guess its bad of me not to check this out before hand i never really questioned it as i was upfront and honest with my employer at the time and they gave me a second chance and a job.

But now i am looking to progress and try to get into a profession its kind of good to know where i stand and understand fully what everything means on the DBS check.

I hope fingers crossed that they will remain spent but i have been informing employers i only have 2 convictions as per my CRB it states the same so i have not been lying i was purely just uneducated.on the matter.

thanks

Gary

Don't get hung up on what you might have done differently before! They will be counted as three convictions, but that makes no difference to when they become spent, and once they are spent they will remain spent. You will need to make sure that you have paid the compensation to the court, though, as they will not become spent while you have an outstanding compensation order. It is worth checking with the DBS to make sure that they have the compensation recorded as being paid in full. If they haven't, then you can contact the court to ask for written confirmation that you have paid, which you can then forward to the DBS.

Regarding telling an employer about how many convictions you have, as it isn't exactly obvious what is going on, you can just say that it looks like they are listed as two convictions, so that is what you told them.

Hi

Thanks for clarifying that with us.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)

Worry over!

thanks

Gary

=========================================================
Grrr! Aaargh!

Neo Matrix
Neo Matrix
Supreme Being

Worry over!

thanks

Gary
Neo Matrix
Neo Matrix
Supreme Being

So basically.

you can see:

Conviction
1. Theft
    Offence
1. theft
2.theft
3.theft

Convction 
2. attempt theft
  offence

So where it says offence do they all count as single convictions and if that is the case would that affect my spent dates as i only put in the convictions that are numbered 1 and 2. and their dates and disposals.

I did not include the offences below because i thought they were included in the conviction and not separate convictions if you see what i mean

thanks
Neo Matrix
Neo Matrix
Supreme Being

Look at this attachment so you can see what i mean.

thanks
Attachments
CRB editited.png (1.1K views, 553.00 KB)
Neo Matrix
Neo Matrix
Supreme Being

Ill post an example of what i mean so i know whether this will affect my spent date.
Neo Matrix
Neo Matrix
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 16 Aug 18 3:32 PM
GaryTS - 16 Aug 18 3:23 PM
Yankee - 16 Aug 18 10:02 AM
GaryTS - 16 Aug 18 8:26 AM
Hi All.

I hope you are all well.

Just a quick question really.

As my convictions are almost spent!! (thank god) its been a long time coming! I have recently been getting ready to make moves into bettering myself and a potential change of career. I have just looked at my DBS certificate again and noticed that I have 2 convictions which were heard on two separate occasions, i.e 2 different court dates.

I was arrested at the same time for both convictions but somehow i have just realised that they have managed to separate the offences into two separate convictions even though the offending was part of the same spate of offending.

My convictions were for theft and attempt theft of meter.

Now i think about it i was on police bail for around 6 months whilst they investigated the attempt theft conviction, however they have separated the convictions so it looks to employers like i have two even though both convictions were related to the same offending period.

Do i have grounds to question this?

many thanks

G

If you were charged with separate offences at different times (which I assume you were as you mention going to 2 separate courts?), they will be treated as 2 separate convictions.  Usually you are asked when charged with one offence whether there are other offences you want taken into consideration (and the court hears them at the same time, takes into account when sentencing..).

Even if you are charged with 2 or more counts arising from the same incident (e.g driving with no insurance and drink-driving) and they are dealt with in the same court process, they will be recorded as separate convictions - each is a different offence and each has its own sentence.

Yankee

Thanks for clarifying this matter.

I was charged with a few counts but i only have two convictions.

So on the DBS it says

1. Theft
theft
theft
make off without payment

2. Attempt Theft
make off without payment
theft

So it shows two convictions 1 and 2 but the offences under the conviction are they offences taken into consideration? because they have not each been counted as a conviction just listed under the main conviction?

it just confuses me sorry to be a pain.

thanks 

You can be charged with more than one count of the same offence at the same time. For example, if someone stole a packet of biscuits and a loaf of bread, that could lead to two separate charges which are then treated as two convictions. That is not the same as being charged with, say, theft and criminal damage, which are clearly different offences. It makes no difference to when they become spent, which depends entirely on the sentence/disposal, so a basic DBS check would not be affected. However, it would make a difference on a standard or enhanced DBS check, as once you have more than one conviction/count on your record, they aren't filtered under the current law. Let's hope the Supreme Court rules against the Government's appeal when they announce their judgement.

Thanks for your comments.

So in relation to my last post.
It says

Conviction
1 attempt theft

2. theft

So it states i have 2 convictions but under the main one there are a few counts under each conviction but these are not numbered they simply are just placed under the conviction so are they all separate convictions or are they part of the same conviction because if they are all separate convictions then this will effect my spent date.

I am quite confused.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)

GaryTS - 16 Aug 18 3:23 PM
Hi All.

I hope you are all well.

As my convictions are almost spent!! (thank god) its been a long time coming! I have recently been getting ready to make moves into bettering myself and a potential change of career. I have just looked at my DBS certificate again and noticed that I have 2 convictions which were heard on two separate occasions, i.e 2 different court dates.

I was arrested at the same time for both convictions but somehow i have just realised that they have managed to separate the offences into two separate convictions even though the offending was part of the same spate of offending.

Now i think about it i was on police bail for around 6 months whilst they investigated the attempt theft conviction, however they have separated the convictions so it looks to employers like i have two even though both convictions were related to the same offending period.

many thanks

G

If you were charged with separate offences at different times (which I assume you were as you mention going to 2 separate courts?), they will be treated as 2 separate convictions.  Usually you are asked when charged with one offence whether there are other offences you want taken into consideration (and the court hears them at the same time, takes into account when sentencing..).

Even if you are charged with 2 or more counts arising from the same incident (e.g driving with no insurance and drink-driving) and they are dealt with in the same court process, they will be recorded as separate convictions - each is a different offence and each has its own sentence.

Yankee

So on the DBS it says

1. Theft
theft
theft
make off without payment

2. Attempt Theft
make off without payment
theft

So it shows two convictions 1 and 2 but the offences under the conviction are they offences taken into consideration? because they have not each been counted as a conviction just listed under the main conviction?

thanks 

You can be charged with more than one count of the same offence at the same time. For example, if someone stole a packet of biscuits and a loaf of bread, that could lead to two separate charges which are then treated as two convictions. That is not the same as being charged with, say, theft and criminal damage, which are clearly different offences. It makes no difference to when they become spent, which depends entirely on the sentence/disposal, so a basic DBS check would not be affected. However, it would make a difference on a standard or enhanced DBS check, as once you have more than one conviction/count on your record, they aren't filtered under the current law. Let's hope the Supreme Court rules against the Government's appeal when they announce their judgement.

=========================================================
Grrr! Aaargh!

Neo Matrix
Neo Matrix
Supreme Being

Hi All.

I hope you are all well.

many thanks

G

Yankee

So on the DBS it says

1. Theft
theft
theft
make off without payment

2. Attempt Theft
make off without payment
theft

thanks 
GO