theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

New company owners want CRB checks

New company owners want CRB checks

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
robf said...
I'm a coach driver. My employer is aware of my convictions (no prison but banned from working with children for life) and have always been happy with my work - they give me stuff that means I don't have sole access to kids (I don't do school runs for example).

The company has been taken over and the new owners insist all drivers have approval from the local council - which involves a CRB check - which I obviously won't be granted and now they're saying they'll have to let me go.

Seems a bit unfair. My day to day job has nothing to do with kids so can they force me to have a CRB?

ta

Rob - if the position you have isn't eligible for a DBS check, you should check out our detailed guide on the DBS (see front-page of main site). If the company already knows about your conviction, you should be able to openly question them about their eligibility, and if they still don't budge, consent to the check and then raise a query directly with the DBS (all this is explained in the guide we've just done!)

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Anonymous
Anonymous

Councils and local authorities are very strict on giving out contracts to coach and taxi companies without having full  DBS checks' done.

Sadly RP, when faced with the choice of getting a contract with a LEA or Council, most, if not all, transport companies will insist on DBS checking.

I have friends that are driving instructors, that profession is now checked.

I have friends that are taxi drivers, they have to pass a DBS.

I have a friend that works as a 3rd party for a local council as a photographer, he is checked.

If you had several school run drivers off sick, and you were left with the one that couldn't transport the kids, what would you as an employer do ?

We are in a recession, there are hundreds of thousands of people trying to support their families, with businesses going down the pan everyday, the rules are changing.

Change your profession, become a van driver or a lorry driver, and move on.

Anonymous
Anonymous

I suggest that you maybe start training for a new career or take a HGV course.

Councils and local authorities are very strict on giving out contracts to coach and taxi companies without having full  DBS checks' done.

Hobbit
Hobbit
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)

Sadly the employer has all the power in the world to say yes or no ultimately on hiring you even though your situation shows discrimination and being treated unfairly, on the other hand it is also correct to say a company can only ask for a dbs check if it is required for the position being applied for. Ie they can only apply for it if the job deems it as such.

Many companies sadly you will find get approval to get the dbs check regardless, there have been many cases ie Morrison the supermarket gets a DBS check done just to make sure its not a criminal stacking your apples and oranges on a shelf or the RSPCA running non stop checks for no apparent reasons.... these 2 places hit the headlines recently and are clearly breaking the law but somehow get away with it.

Check the policy here:

https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview
and
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-sample-policy-on-the-recruitment-of-ex-offenders

It maybe advised to email or call Unlock helpline just to get full confirmation of your legal rights also, they can advise best. You may wish to also contact DBS offices, here is the contact details:

https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/contact-disclosure-and-barring-service

At least this way you get a 100% clear answer on your rights.

You have to remember the employer can ask for a CRB/DBS check, but you do not by law need to fill or sign that dbs form. I have heard in some cases some have told their employee my job does not fall within the grounds of a CRB/DBS check, and refuse to fill or sign it. If your employer is following the law I would assume they can then contact dbs offices and clarify this and you can also speak to them, or your employer would require to show proof your job duties require a check at least, sadly if they are treating you unfairly they could just dismiss you for not agreeing to the dbs check.

I say call unlock and contact dbs offices for further advice and keep us updated, good luck
Hobbit
Hobbit
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)

Good you got some skills, yeah why not if you like the job its worth the effort to keep it. Sounds like your new bosses are not aware they can be breaking the law asking for an unlawful dbs check on you, and it does feel your being treated unfairly especially if your job role and duties have not changed. If you had new duties or task which involved sole direct access to children or elderly then they may have grounds for the dbs check.

These are always the issues with new management or new bosses, just when things are going good they always seem to enjoy throwing a giant spanner in the works, shame they can't make do with a new name badge that says "Manager" on it Wink
Hobbit
Hobbit
Supreme Being

robf said...
ive looked and cant find that guide chris?

https://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=45c161a5b068f45e640606f58&id=69a13c0f2a

If you goto main page also here:

https://www.unlock.org.uk/main.aspx

and then look for "01/10/2013 - New guide published by Unlock - Unlocking Criminal Record Checks"

Let us know how you got on with regards to the job, and good luck. Its always nice to hear back what happen !
robf
robf
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)

ive looked and cant find that guide chris?
robf
robf
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)

I'm a coach driver. My employer is aware of my convictions (no prison but banned from working with children for life) and have always been happy with my work - they give me stuff that means I don't have sole access to kids (I don't do school runs for example).

The company has been taken over and the new owners insist all drivers have approval from the local council - which involves a CRB check - which I obviously won't be granted and now they're saying they'll have to let me go.

Seems a bit unfair. My day to day job has nothing to do with kids so can they force me to have a CRB?

ta
robf
robf
Supreme Being

Thanks RP - I think I'm going to go down the route of not completing the application and see where we go Wink I've emailed the MD to try and get some clarification.

I've already got my Class 1 and do some HGV work but enjoy coaching much more!
GO