theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

A job as a Pet Sitter - made me laugh

A job as a Pet Sitter - made me laugh

Author
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (19K reputation)Supreme Being (19K reputation)Supreme Being (19K reputation)Supreme Being (19K reputation)Supreme Being (19K reputation)Supreme Being (19K reputation)Supreme Being (19K reputation)Supreme Being (19K reputation)Supreme Being (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
last winter you needed one to be a volunteer snow warden where i live, another chance to do something for the community blocked
Ader1
Ader1
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)

Glad to hear that Unlock Helpline. Because, at the end of the day, owning a pet and then leaving it in the care of an employee from a pet siting agency is a private life-style choice. And it's right that people making those choices shouldn't be able to insist on any checks being made.

"Everyone is guilty of something or has something to conceal. All one has to do is look hard enough to find what it is." - Solzhenitsyn

"Everyone is guilty of something or has something to conceal. All one has to do is look hard enough to find what it is." - Solzhenitsyn
Ader1
Ader1
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)

I saw this post for a Pet Sitter being advertised and underneath you had the job description. And as I was reading it, this sentence leaped out at me.... "must .............. have own transport and will be CRB checked if not currently holding one." :-) Where does a Pet Sitter fit into the scheme of things regarding checks? Working with 'vulnerable people'? confused

Ader1
Ader1
Supreme Being

It did make me laugh. I'm sure though they wouldn't be able to insist on an enhanced check though......would they? freaked

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)

You could be asked to provide a basic disclosure from Disclosure Scotland which would show any unspent convictions but for this particular role, an employer would not be able to insist on a standard or enhanced check.

Anybody thinking of recruiting a pet sitter and giving them access to their home could rely on other recruitment procedures, i.e. interview questions and references from previous employers.   

Unlock Helpline

Call: 01634 247350 (Press 1)
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, 35a High Street, Snodland, Kent, ME6 5AG

Find out more about the Helpline at www.unlock.org.uk/staticpage.aspx?pid=97

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Anonymous
Anonymous

"owning a pet and then leaving it in the care of an employee from a pet siting agency is a private life-style choice. And it's right that people making those choices shouldn't be able to insist on any checks being made"

Don't really understand that statement Ader1 - If I am going to make a private life-style choice, I SHOULD be able to insist on ANYTHING I want ?

"Anybody thinking of recruiting a pet sitter and giving them access to their home could rely on other recruitment procedures, i.e. interview questions and references from previous employers"

Don't really understand this statement either Unlock Helpline - Can you imagine asking somebody a few questions at interview ?
Q : Have you a got a criminal record ? (Pet owner unable to check anyway)
A : No of course not ! (Pet Sitter lies about criminal past) 
Q : Can I contact a previous employer ?
A : Yes of course, let me give you some details (Pet sitter, gives false details, and pet owner contacts pet sitters mate).
With respect UH, this is NOT really the best advice to give is it ? 

" last winter you needed one to be a volunteer snow warden where I live, another chance to do something for the community blocked"

I Imagine this is in regards to disclosure FC ? - As crazy as it sounds, whilst serving my 120hrs of community service in a charity shop, I worked with several volunteers, none of which were CRB - DRB checked. These people actually stole goods from the shop to sell at Bootfairs and on e-bay.
I bet the shop wished that they had checked them out !

Anonymous
Anonymous

Would you (or anybody else on here) insist on finding out as much as you could about the person you was going to entrust with your beloved pet, house keys and belongings with ?.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Yes, that sounds absolutely mental...until you consider a few key and important facts smilewinkgrin

You are going to give a complete stranger the front door keys to your house, and allow him or her uninterrupted access to all your personal information and expensive belongings.

After a few months, the newly copied set of keys and your bank details are put to work = Empty House + Empty Bank Account. 

I would not only want a full and enhanced CRB check but also a copy of their DNA, and some photographs (Front on, and just looking up to the left) before they got given the chance to look after our Hamster !! 

Good-Luck

Happy Job Hunting yeah  

Hobbit
Hobbit
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)

I sincerely hope dbs rejected running a check for that job position....
GO