theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

What can I do when I am asked for a CRB by a potential employer or agency?

What can I do when I am asked for a CRB by a potential employer or...

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Baz - it depends what types of jobs you're applying for.

You're no better or worse off than when the DBS was the CRB -they're essentially doing the same checks. If you went for a standard or enhanced CRB previously, this would have disclosed your spent convictions.

Sadly, many jobs do allow for a standard or enhanced check, but you should always keen asking yourself the question - are they eligible? Use the DBS guidance on eligibility. It make a big difference to you - if the job involves a basic check, your disclosure will be blank.

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)

Baz - not all employers are entitled to standard/enhanced. You'll see elsewhere on here where people have challenged their employer where they don't think they're eligible, and they've reverted to a basic check. Basics do exist - just not done by the DBS - they're done by Disclosure Scotland, but many employers in England do use them.

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being

James - that's the important point - it's only really important if your conviction is spent, as the alternative is a basic check (which would still disclose your conviction if it's unspent).

Yes, the DBS do have a process of 'challenging eligibility', and it seems to be getting better. It's not an easy thing to do to identify specifically why something is or isn't eligible, and where it's borderline, the DBS don't do much, but they've worked well for obvious cases, as shown elsewhere on here.

bilbobag
bilbobag
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)

There are only some jobs in finance which require a Standard / Enhanced CRB for most jobs it is not required and is illegal as James mentioned.

I wonder who is responsible for prosecuting these assholes and making an example of them ?

They are probably cr*p HR people who dont have a clue how to run HR and so apply blanket illegal policies.
bilbobag
bilbobag
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)Supreme Being (640 reputation)

I find this country amazing and the only country in the world that prevents its own citizens contribution to the economy properly if you have done anything wrong. If you were from France and had the same convictions - no one would ever know and you can carry on with your life. Labour not only got this country into debt but have done a huge disservice to the young people of this country eliminating people from what is now a global economy and any worthwhile jobs (to please the low IQ sun readers with rapid ill thought legislation to appease the masses) and lumbering them with debt. I just hope people use your next vote wisely, after all we are a democracy. And please stop buying the sun newspaper. I’m actually surprised Labour did not bring in public hanging during their time in power, this would have appeased the masses.

And funnily enough they have kept them trapped in their own UK prison - try emigrating to Australia or the US when the PNC hold 'criminal records' of you when you stole a rose back when you were 5 years old.
RG
RG
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)

Baz Warren,

Sadly this is why UK is going down the drain. Red tape, more red tape till they make sure you breathe your last. The moment they announced the new filtering rules I was skeptical. Any new change should be for the better not worse. So as expected it was from the frying pan to the fire.

Commonsense would mean once a crime is spent it should never be disclosed except where the jobs involve close interaction with kids and vulnerable. There are so many criminals on the loose without a record and those few whose records are ground over their heads for life.

You will never win the fight against employers. Even if you win legally, you will loose the chance to get the job and I know of instances where they stigmatize people by contacting agencies etc. Good luck. What ever step you take I wish you success.
RG
crabbypatties
crabbypatties
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)

Bang on the nail Spiritus!hop
Anonymous
Anonymous

crabbypatties said...
Bang on the nail Spiritus!hop

Thanks yeah

There are no mistakes in life, only lessons.

Anonymous
Anonymous

James said...
I think in relation to those getting jobs in excepted jobs (doctors, police etc) it really depends on the circumstances surrounding the offence.

Was it a one off?

Was it merely just accidental?

Wrongly prosecuted?

Also helps knowing the right people in whatever you're applying for lol

I think people should be given a second chance with a spent conviction and an excepted job, especially if the conviction is no threat (i.e drink driving and wanting to become a doctor! However, GBH and wanting to become a teacher... maybe not a great chance)

James.

Yes I totally agree, we ALL should be given a second chance, but as long as the powers that be, keep on running needless checks, this is never going to happen.

Sadly, in this day and age, for us mere mortals, the circumstances that surround our offences mean nothing.
Our rap sheets are printed in Black & White, there are no Grey areas.

My faith in the people that uphold the law (The Police) was losted, when under the DPA act, we found out that there are hundreds of serving officers with criminal records. I wonder if these convicted officers are on the DNA database ?.

My faith was further knocked back, when I also did a DPA check on my local Probation service.

I was being told that crime was REALLY wrong, by somebody who had broken the law themselves ?. 

Double standards ? You bet.  

We could all, very quickly, find ourselves before the courts by accident.

Catch somebody breaking into your house and end up hurting them, then your in the dock. 

The crux is, as soon as you get any type of criminal record you are branded by society.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Police Officers - Probation Officers - Doctors - Nurses - Firemen - The list goes on, but ALL of these professions, have people employed within them who have criminal records. nono

How do these people get away with it ?  shakehead

What a crazy world we live in, where somebody who has broken the law can judge us, and make the difference between us getting a job and earning a living or sitting indoors on income support.

If I was the UK government, I would worry more about the thousands of people from Europe and the World who enter our country, and start working without even the basic checks.

How can you do a criminal record check on somebody that is from a country that does not have a Police National Computer ?.

I imagine that 99.9% of all the people in the UK have broken some type of law.

The difference between them and us, is that we got caught.

This debate will roll on and on....as will the criminal record checks for no real reason.

Good-Luck Everyone tongue  

GO