theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

CIS Insurance

CIS Insurance

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Chris,

Thanks for this.

The things that might be the reason for this (I'm assuming) is that it was insurance for a van, and so commercial insurance?

If that's the case, that might be why. This is obviously still a change (given you said about 'reinsuring'). But, in thinking about reviewing our information, the list of motor insurers that we have is for personal insurance only, so I'm wondering whether there is a difference?

Glad that you've ultimately found insurance. If you could let us know about the type of insurance, that would be helpful, as we always want to make sure that our information is accurate.

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Thanks Chris.

Yes, a very useful post. I was just keen to establish whether it impacted on their approach to personal motor insurance, which it doesn't seem like it does.

And yes, the 2012 law doesn't change commercial insurance. But, it certainly helps people looking for personal insurance, particularly for motor insurance with non-motoring convictions. It makes the situation a lot clearer in my opinion.

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

CIS know about my conviction and have renewed my ordinary car insurance
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

RP said...
fc: do they charge more money if you got criminal convictions or anything flagging via the PNC ?

Not as far as I know, they were only bothered about certain convictions before but this will probably vary in each case under the changes that came in in April. They've been ok with me, i'm sure you could ask them how much it would be without conviction and they'd tell you
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being

Q3 said...
My stepson, received a short custodial sentence. After his release, he stayed with us for 6 months, and was on an electronic tag.
My common law wife, went to renew the house contents insurance, and was asked if anybody in the house had a record.
She replied honestly that there was.
Although his crime did not cover that you would expect might be flagged up by an insurance company : IE Theft, Fraud, Arson Etc, she was refused a new policy.
This was by a major high street bank, one she had been with since she left school.
A simple example of Black & White thinking.

Afraid that's the real world and why Unlock has the insurers list. Still it's better to tell the truth and be insured no matter the cost rather than lie and risk they find out about it if you have to make a claim and they reject it
Chris_H
Chris_H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)

Hi Christopher,

It was indeed for commercial van insurance. However, there maybe others in this position with CIS who will be expecting to renew their commercial insurance, which is why I posted. Also it appears the The Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representation) Act 2012 is not relevant for commercial insurance, although in practise I don't think this new act makes any difference at all.
Chris_H
Chris_H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)Supreme Being (428 reputation)

My son (who has a  conviction) has been insured on his van through CIS Insurance (Co-op) since 2011. However, they now tell him that they have changed underwriters and are no longer able to ignore criminal convictions as they did before. Based on this they refused to re-insure my son. I think their inclusion on your list of insurers for the convicted should be reviewed.

My son eventually got insurance through Lionheart Insurance who we read about on this forum. They are not too expensive and allow monthly premiums.

Post Edited By Moderator (Moderator) : 09/07/2013 10:13:55 (GMT+1)

Anonymous
Anonymous

forever changes said...
Q3 said...
My stepson, received a short custodial sentence. After his release, he stayed with us for 6 months, and was on an electronic tag.
My common law wife, went to renew the house contents insurance, and was asked if anybody in the house had a record.
Although his crime did not cover that you would expect might be flagged up by an insurance company : IE Theft, Fraud, Arson Etc, she was refused a new policy.
This was by a major high street bank, one she had been with since she left school.

Afraid that's the real world and why Unlock has the insurers list. Still it's better to tell the truth and be insured no matter the cost rather than lie and risk they find out about it if you have to make a claim and they reject it

Oh yes, I totally agree FC !.

Sadly my partner, had no knowledge of Unlocks insurers list or no need to research it as she is record free.

However, this could also be a cautionary tale to all those who may wish to help a friend or a member of their family.

If a friend comes out of big house, after serving 6 months for street fighting, and wants to stay in your little house, till he or she gets sorted, should you get straight on the dog and bone and notify your insurance company ?, after all, surely this means your insurance is invalid ?.

Your Son or Daughter get's convicted of theft of a Mars Bar, now you have a " High Risk" person living in your semi, do you ring up and tell the person in the call centre in Bangalore and inform them straight away ?.

I can see the point from an insurers point a view, and yes, if you like setting fires and committing serious fraud you are a high risk
but come on, lets have some common sense surely.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Hobbit
Hobbit
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8.4K reputation)Supreme Being (8.4K reputation)Supreme Being (8.4K reputation)Supreme Being (8.4K reputation)Supreme Being (8.4K reputation)Supreme Being (8.4K reputation)Supreme Being (8.4K reputation)Supreme Being (8.4K reputation)Supreme Being (8.4K reputation)

fc: do they charge more money if you got criminal convictions or anything flagging via the PNC ?
GO