theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

New boy first visit

New boy first visit

Author
Mintaka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
caterpillar said...
Legislation recently changed on the disclosure when purchasing commercial insurance.

Sorry, Caterpillar, but that is wrong. Commercial insurance remains unchanged and you are still required to disclose "all material facts" as before. An unspent conviction is considered a material fact, and must be disclosed whether asked for or not. The new legislation only applies to domestic insurance or rather, non business insurance.

Regardless of what Spiritus says, the new legislation is quite clear in how proposal forms for personal insurance need to be treated.

"The onus now sits squarely with the insurer to ask you the questions that they want to know information about. Instead of a duty to volunteer material facts"

Spent convictions do not have to be disclosed regardless of if they are asked for or not. Answering "No" to "Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence" cannot be considered to be fraud in any circumstances.

The best way to confirm if a conviction is spent or not is to use Unlock's Disclosure Calculator

Who said life was going to be easy?

Post Edited (Mintaka) : 05/07/2013 22:21:06 (GMT+1)

Well, who said life was going to be easy?

caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)

I meant "commercial" as in non-professional [business] related. Wrongly as you pointed out.
caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)

Legislation recently changed on the disclosure when purchasing commercial insurance. You only need to declare any convictions now if specifically asked. Also, you are only legally bound to declare non-spent convictions if asked. So assuming your sons convictions are spent on 22/04/14, he can answer in the negative to any convictions. There are insurers who won't ask the question in any case though, so technically he could get insurance legally now if wished without being penalised.
Anonymous
Anonymous

Remember the fraud act - Fraud by Omission, that's leaving out important facts and details.

Insurance companies will and can use every trick in the book not to pay out, and any loss adjuster worth his salt will dig deep to find out somebodies hidden past.

There are no mistakes in life, only lessons.

Frenchman96
Frenchman96
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (228 reputation)Supreme Being (228 reputation)Supreme Being (228 reputation)Supreme Being (228 reputation)Supreme Being (228 reputation)Supreme Being (228 reputation)Supreme Being (228 reputation)Supreme Being (228 reputation)Supreme Being (228 reputation)

Hi Guys

I joined today to get info for my son, so hope I am in right forum, I have replied to other posts.

My sons conviction .... details of offence removed........
File opened 22/4/09
Community order
9 months supervision (probation) order attached
Court Costs of £65

So on 22/4/14 I assume it will be spent, so to be very clear on subject, am I right in saying, he need not volunteer anything about it, and someone in another post said, if the insure asked are there any previous criminal convictions in the PAST 10 YEARS, he can say no without any problem.

Details of your son's offence have been removed in accordance with the rules of the forum. You may wish to familiarise yourself with the rules and guidelines which can be found at https://unlock.org.uk/staticpage.aspx?pid=145 and https://unlock.org.uk/staticpage.aspx?pid=286 Thank you

Post Edited By Moderator (Moderator) : 05/07/2013 08:22:54 (GMT+1)

GO