theForum

Let me introduce myself

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic24786.aspx

By bunkernut - 9 Oct 17 1:51 PM

Hi Everyone

Ive been out of work since 2015 when I got arrested, a year later it finaly went to court and I was given a years supervision order which ended a few months ago. 
In that time ive went to college and completed a year and now in my second year but cannot help feeling that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, I desperately want to work and ive disclosed my conviction as and when required but anybody I apply to doesn't want to know.
Since ive finished my order it feels like I was thrown out with no help from my supervision officer, its no wonder a lot of people re-offend, ive been in the mindset at times of ending my life but screwed the head at the last minute. I'm willing to take on board any advice and help anyone can afford to me.

By AB2014 - 7 Jun 18 11:12 AM

K-NW - 4 Jun 18 5:14 PM
K-NW - 4 Jun 18 5:06 PM
bunkernut - 9 Oct 17 1:51 PM
Hi Everyone

Ive been out of work since 2015 when I got arrested, a year later it finaly went to court and I was given a years supervision order which ended a few months ago. 
In that time ive went to college and completed a year and now in my second year but cannot help feeling that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, I desperately want to work and ive disclosed my conviction as and when required but anybody I apply to doesn't want to know.
Since ive finished my order it feels like I was thrown out with no help from my supervision officer, its no wonder a lot of people re-offend, ive been in the mindset at times of ending my life but screwed the head at the last minute. I'm willing to take on board any advice and help anyone can afford to me.

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're struggling.

It's not easy, I have been in prison and completely agree that our system does not help or support employment for people after conviction, which you are right potentially push people to crime just to keep going. The system is sadly very short sighted.

Our employment market in the UK is flooded with very dubious recruitment agents that post jobs that don't exist to fish for CV's and who fail to reply when people apply, so its very demoralising, but also just hard to get at any real jobs.

Having a conviction is another blocker and issue in that already difficult system. My advice would be don't disclose until you are at the point of being offered a role. You should NOT lie, but telling random people at recruiters or in HR Dept upfront, I believe, is not helpful and could lead to potential discrimination. 

Firstly try to apply to organisations that you know are more open to people with convictions, you can find a list of friendly employers here https://cleansheet.org.uk/ the team there are lovely and once you have registered you can access a list of employers that the team at Clean Sheet have spoken to first. They will also help support you with applications too.

If you are asked about details of a conviction try saying that you are happy to discuss this after interview but would rather not disclose in advance. My experience with this process has not been easy, but you just have to keep going and keep strong. You have the ability to achieve remarkable things if you can be strong, get good support and value yourself and your skills. Don't let your conviction define you, even if it feels that others are doing that for you. 

A quick addition please note that TIMPSONS and VIRGIN won't employ people who are on the sex offenders register. It's wrong and unfair and I have argued this with them, but they simply, at this time, are not moving. They do work with people with other convictions though so there are positives there.

K-NW - 4 Jun 18 5:14 PM
K-NW - 4 Jun 18 5:06 PM
bunkernut - 9 Oct 17 1:51 PM
Hi Everyone

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're struggling.

It's not easy, I have been in prison and completely agree that our system does not help or support employment for people after conviction, which you are right potentially push people to crime just to keep going. The system is sadly very short sighted.

Our employment market in the UK is flooded with very dubious recruitment agents that post jobs that don't exist to fish for CV's and who fail to reply when people apply, so its very demoralising, but also just hard to get at any real jobs.

Having a conviction is another blocker and issue in that already difficult system. My advice would be don't disclose until you are at the point of being offered a role. You should NOT lie, but telling random people at recruiters or in HR Dept upfront, I believe, is not helpful and could lead to potential discrimination. 

Firstly try to apply to organisations that you know are more open to people with convictions, you can find a list of friendly employers here https://cleansheet.org.uk/ the team there are lovely and once you have registered you can access a list of employers that the team at Clean Sheet have spoken to first. They will also help support you with applications too.

If you are asked about details of a conviction try saying that you are happy to discuss this after interview but would rather not disclose in advance. My experience with this process has not been easy, but you just have to keep going and keep strong. You have the ability to achieve remarkable things if you can be strong, get good support and value yourself and your skills. Don't let your conviction define you, even if it feels that others are doing that for you. 

A quick addition please note that TIMPSONS and VIRGIN won't employ people who are on the sex offenders register. It's wrong and unfair and I have argued this with them, but they simply, at this time, are not moving. They do work with people with other convictions though so there are positives there.

It will be interesting to see if anything comes from the MoJ's new Education and Employment Strategy. I'm sure nothing will happen in a hurry, but if/when they do something about it, that might make a difference. Meanwhile, we're stuck with things as they are.