theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Let me introduce myself

Let me introduce myself

Author
bunkernut
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Everyone

Ive been out of work since 2015 when I got arrested, a year later it finaly went to court and I was given a years supervision order which ended a few months ago. 
In that time ive went to college and completed a year and now in my second year but cannot help feeling that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, I desperately want to work and ive disclosed my conviction as and when required but anybody I apply to doesn't want to know.
Since ive finished my order it feels like I was thrown out with no help from my supervision officer, its no wonder a lot of people re-offend, ive been in the mindset at times of ending my life but screwed the head at the last minute. I'm willing to take on board any advice and help anyone can afford to me.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)

bunkernut - 9 Oct 17 1:51 PM
Hi Everyone

Ive been out of work since 2015 when I got arrested, a year later it finaly went to court and I was given a years supervision order which ended a few months ago. 
In that time ive went to college and completed a year and now in my second year but cannot help feeling that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, I desperately want to work and ive disclosed my conviction as and when required but anybody I apply to doesn't want to know.
Since ive finished my order it feels like I was thrown out with no help from my supervision officer, its no wonder a lot of people re-offend, ive been in the mindset at times of ending my life but screwed the head at the last minute. I'm willing to take on board any advice and help anyone can afford to me.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. As you got one year's supervision, your conviction will be spent one year after the end of the order, and then you can stop disclosing it for jobs involving a basic criminal record check. After that it will only show up on standard and enhanced DBS checks for a while, depending on the offence. Unlock have information about that on their website here.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)

Welcome to theForum bunkernut.

Sure that the members will be able to provide you with some great information, advice and support.

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Wentworth2
Wentworth2
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)

Deb S - 11 Oct 17 8:00 AM

Sure that the members will be able to provide you with some great information, advice and support.

Debs 

Hi Debbie,

I have found out more about Non-recordable driving offences and am ready to produce my findings.

Please can you advice me were to send this information.

Also I thought I had posted an article on Prison and Punishment from the Daily telegraph two days ago, and now I can not find it?

Can you also advice on this too.

Thank you.

Wentworth.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)

Wentworth2 - 14 Nov 17 7:43 AM
Deb S - 11 Oct 17 8:00 AM

Debs 

Hi Debbie,

I have found out more about Non-recordable driving offences and am ready to produce my findings.

Please can you advice me were to send this information.

Also I thought I had posted an article on Prison and Punishment from the Daily telegraph two days ago, and now I can not find it?

Can you also advice on this too.

Thank you.

Wentworth.

Hi Wentworth, I expect Debbie would want you to send it to advice@unlock.org.uk which ought to get to her.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

bunkernut
bunkernut
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

Hi everyone sorry for disappearing after my post , does the conviction being spent one year after the end of my order apply to Scotland? I know my order has finished in June/July last year and it would’ve been nice to be informed I’m now off the register.

The law here is so unclear at times

bunkernut
bunkernut
Supreme Being

I forgot to add on my original post I was placed on supervision for a year and on the SO register for that year , the one stupid mistake is still screwing with my head so long after it
Square
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

bunkernut - 7 Jan 18 4:06 PM
I forgot to add on my original post I was placed on supervision for a year and on the SO register for that year , the one stupid mistake is still screwing with my head so long after it

bunkernut, without knowing what your conviction was for makes giving a full answer challenging. Your best bet is to get in touch with Disclosure Scotland and asking them. Due to the nature of your sentence (1 year supervision and 1 year Sex Offender Register) it doesn't make it clear.

For basic criminal record checks the period before it is spent may be 5 years from sentencing (but may be less) - so check.
For Standard and Enhanced checks your offence may be on the 'always disclose' list - check here (https://www.mygov.scot/convictions-higher-disclosures/) 
If you have been put on the 'barred lists' that will show up on an Enhanced check or PVG registration
If you apply for a job that requires a criminal record check and your offence shows up - you will be sent a copy of the certificate before the employer. If it is not relevant to the job you can challenge it's inclusion.

One stupid mistake.... I know how you feel. I can prove I wasn't where they claimed my offence took place - and I am paying for that (mentally and with employment)... try dealing with that!!!

bunkernut
bunkernut
Supreme Being

Hi all
I realised that i posted about 3 months ago its that the subject is very sensitive to me it shows the extent of the damage it has done, my conviction was due to indecent images under Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 - Section 52 (1) (A) and was for one video being on my computer , i could maintain my innocence till the day i die but I'm not looking for sympathy as it was my own stupidity that put me in this position and i feel the police took advantage of my subsequent breakdown to manipulate me into basically giving an early plea.

I was discharged from my 1 year Supervision Order with no support or advice about getting work, the police were no better `you could get work in a kitchen or as a labourer` was my advice and my case handler stated my conviction will become spent in a few years.

all i know is the conviction is on my record and I'm no longer on the sex offenders register. i think id have been better off in jail as id have been given more support.

please help me.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

bunkernut - 10 Apr 18 3:13 PM
Hi all
I realised that i posted about 3 months ago its that the subject is very sensitive to me it shows the extent of the damage it has done, my conviction was due to indecent images under Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 - Section 52 (1) (A) and was for one video being on my computer , i could maintain my innocence till the day i die but I'm not looking for sympathy as it was my own stupidity that put me in this position and i feel the police took advantage of my subsequent breakdown to manipulate me into basically giving an early plea.

I was discharged from my 1 year Supervision Order with no support or advice about getting work, the police were no better `you could get work in a kitchen or as a labourer` was my advice and my case handler stated my conviction will become spent in a few years.

all i know is the conviction is on my record and I'm no longer on the sex offenders register. i think id have been better off in jail as id have been given more support.

please help me.

I'd have to admit that I don't know much about the system in Scotland, but if you're not being supervised any more, that's encouraging in itself, especially as you're not on the register. If your conviction is spent, you don't have to disclose it to employers, which is another plus point. If your conviction is not spent yet, then you only have to disclose it if you're asked. If you aren't asked, don't disclose. So, it's not all bad news. If you're not sure whether your conviction is spent, then Disclosure Scotland are the people to ask. The past is the past, and you can't change it, so concentrate on the present and the future. If you don't have to disclose, then don't, which is a major step in the right direction.  

GO