theForum

Some theoretical Questions

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic25105.aspx

By Square - 8 Apr 18 4:25 PM

1. I have had several US visas in the past. I have changed my name *if* I was to travel to the US, would my new passport in some way link to my old name?
2. I know many have traveled on an ETSA - if you have succeeded in this, what was the media coverage of your conviction?

My conviction is convoluted (and very inaccurate) and involves something that was SOR notifiable - but that restriction ended a few years ago.

I have spent many happy years living and working in the US and would love to go back some day (post Trump). I know that if I were to apply for a Visa my details would be shared with many other countries - which will result in many issues. Equally I do understand that if I get turned away at the border that is the door shut for good.
By BenS - 11 Apr 18 8:23 AM

Square - 10 Apr 18 9:34 PM
My prints and images were taken upon entry when I had my visa. I wondered if they do carry out a search of the whole database (I would imagine that would be unlikely), or just 'known' individuals.

Like you say, I was law abiding (other than being pulled over once for speeding on a pedal bike!), paid taxes and was a model citizen. 

The Etsa question is interesting:
  1. Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?
The facts as they are is a genuine 'no' to that question - although I do know they would not be happy with what is on my criminal record! Id doese, however, also ask for alaises Sad

The US has no access to the UK PNC and can only access your details on it by way of a specific request with the UK authorities, and to get permission, it must have a justifiable suspicion that you are going to commit a crime in the US: It might be the world's superpower but even so, it can't just randomly access other countries' criminal records systems. To vouch for this, you can look on various online forums to see loads of people with fairly significant convictions who have got into the US no problem by saying "no" on the ESTA.

I am in the same situation as you: I can truthfully say my crime did not result in serious damage to property, another person or a government authority, but they would still never let me in if they knew what my conviction was for!