theForum

Travelling post-notification period

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic25355.aspx

By tedstriker - 14 Aug 18 11:17 AM

Just thought I'd update those here on my experience travelling post-notification period as there doesn't seem to be a lot of info around. Previously I've had the usual experiences coming back into the UK as well as a particularly unpleasant experience last year being marched into a room at Brussels as I completed my exit check onto the Eurostar.

I finished my notification period this year and applied for a new passport. My first experience of travelling was recently. Leaving St Pancras I had no checks or questions from the French border control. My wife was ahead of me and did not see any notifications on the border agent's screen. When leaving Brussels I first passed through the Belgian border control (where I had issues previously) and after a passport scan I went through the same as all the other passengers. I decided to go for the e-passport gate (as we all know these do not work for those with alerts) and it worked perfectly and through I went!

I know this is all anecdotal and your experience may vary. I hope to try both planes and the ferry in coming months. Hope this helps some of you looking for stress free travel post notification.
By BenS - 21 May 19 9:29 AM

forever changes - 18 May 19 8:08 PM

I've only got a few months to go and can't wait to feel liberated free of being singled out and humiliated, did you use the same passport or get another one like the OP? I don't understand how these things work really

Getting a new passport doesn't make a difference, as the alert system is not done based on passport number alone, but on name, date of birth, etc. Otherwise any criminal could simply change their passport to avoid detection.