theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Travelling post-notification period

Travelling post-notification period

Author
tedstriker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Just thought I'd update those here on my experience travelling post-notification period as there doesn't seem to be a lot of info around. Previously I've had the usual experiences coming back into the UK as well as a particularly unpleasant experience last year being marched into a room at Brussels as I completed my exit check onto the Eurostar.

I finished my notification period this year and applied for a new passport. My first experience of travelling was recently. Leaving St Pancras I had no checks or questions from the French border control. My wife was ahead of me and did not see any notifications on the border agent's screen. When leaving Brussels I first passed through the Belgian border control (where I had issues previously) and after a passport scan I went through the same as all the other passengers. I decided to go for the e-passport gate (as we all know these do not work for those with alerts) and it worked perfectly and through I went!

I know this is all anecdotal and your experience may vary. I hope to try both planes and the ferry in coming months. Hope this helps some of you looking for stress free travel post notification.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Thank you so much for providing your experience. It is really reassuring to those of us approaching the send of the SOR period. Personally I can't help having the feeling that it's too good to be true, that the alert will magically disappear without having to repeatedly beg the police to remove it and without it snagging at least a couple of times at passport control at the beginning. But from your experience none of that happened, so that's great. Glad it all went well and that you were treated like any other traveller!
Edited
6 Years Ago by BenS
Hola
Hola
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

BenS - 16 Aug 18 8:15 AM
Thank you so much for providing your experience. It is really reassuring to those of us approaching the send of the SOR period. Personally I can't help having the feeling that it's too good to be true, that the alert will magically disappear without having to repeatedly beg the police to remove it and without it snagging at least a couple of times at passport control at the beginning. But from your experience none of that happened, so that's great. Glad it all went well and that you were treated like any other traveller!

I had the same experience, automatically went off the register and suddenly the e-gates work, and no issue going anywhere in or out.  All I did was email my PPU to remind then when my time expired

Monkos
Monkos
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

tedstriker - 14 Aug 18 11:17 AM
Just thought I'd update those here on my experience travelling post-notification period as there doesn't seem to be a lot of info around. Previously I've had the usual experiences coming back into the UK as well as a particularly unpleasant experience last year being marched into a room at Brussels as I completed my exit check onto the Eurostar.

I finished my notification period this year and applied for a new passport. My first experience of travelling was recently. Leaving St Pancras I had no checks or questions from the French border control. My wife was ahead of me and did not see any notifications on the border agent's screen. When leaving Brussels I first passed through the Belgian border control (where I had issues previously) and after a passport scan I went through the same as all the other passengers. I decided to go for the e-passport gate (as we all know these do not work for those with alerts) and it worked perfectly and through I went!

I know this is all anecdotal and your experience may vary. I hope to try both planes and the ferry in coming months. Hope this helps some of you looking for stress free travel post notification.

Glad to hear that, also wondering why you were even taken aside at brussels, presumably by the UK passport checker not the Belgian one right? What did they ask? Just the usual 'where have you been have you been anywhere else'?
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Monkos - 28 Aug 18 12:53 PM

Glad to hear that, also wondering why you were even taken aside at brussels, presumably by the UK passport checker not the Belgian one right? What did they ask? Just the usual 'where have you been have you been anywhere else'?

Technically, UK staff should not check you at Brussels, because you have to transit France first, so UK staff get on the train at Lille. I've heard horror stories before about Belgian passport staff at the Eurostar terminal, and not just about this particular issue.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

tedstriker
tedstriker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)

No. It was a Belgian Schengen exit check. I was asked very little. Didn't give any firm details of where i'd been (nor were they asked for). My passport and my partner's passport were taken from us into a separate room and and photocopied I believe. I was then marched to the UK desk where the agent asked me "what did the Belgian gentleman want with you??". Just scan my passport and have a look mate!
Monkos
Monkos
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

tedstriker - 28 Aug 18 5:51 PM

No. It was a Belgian Schengen exit check. I was asked very little. Didn't give any firm details of where i'd been (nor were they asked for). My passport and my partner's passport were taken from us into a separate room and and photocopied I believe. I was then marched to the UK desk where the agent asked me "what did the Belgian gentleman want with you??". Just scan my passport and have a look mate!

Weird. I went to belgium on the eurostar not that long ago and sailed through both sides of the process. As for what the UK desk would see, they'd get nothing more than a flag telling them to ask the extended questions to confirm where you've been, which goes into an email your PPU receive. But they themselves don't get to see the reason for the flag, which could be for half a dozen reasons. I find if you say to them you're subject to notification and that's why it's flagged on their system they get all flustered and don't know what to say because they're not supposed to talk about it.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Monkos
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Hola - 25 Aug 18 9:39 PM
BenS - 16 Aug 18 8:15 AM

I had the same experience, automatically went off the register and suddenly the e-gates work, and no issue going anywhere in or out.  All I did was email my PPU to remind then when my time expired

I've only got a few months to go and can't wait to feel liberated free of being singled out and humiliated, did you use the same passport or get another one like the OP? I don't understand how these things work really

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

forever changes - 18 May 19 8:08 PM

I've only got a few months to go and can't wait to feel liberated free of being singled out and humiliated, did you use the same passport or get another one like the OP? I don't understand how these things work really

Getting a new passport doesn't make a difference, as the alert system is not done based on passport number alone, but on name, date of birth, etc. Otherwise any criminal could simply change their passport to avoid detection.

Edited
5 Years Ago by BenS
GO