theForum

What do you have to do to become as an ex-offender - risk your life and still be haunted by your past.

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic26723.aspx

By JASB - 17 Dec 19 3:23 PM

Hi
This is more to generate another discussion on rehabilitation and what do we have to do to be recognized as an ex-offender.

We have all read about the terrible attack on London bridge and how praise was given to one person who risked his life in saving others.

Personally I was amazed as it is the first time I have seen the wording ex-offender used by the various TV outlets and newspapers. Was it the fact he was risking his life or just the media was forced into saying it because of his actions?

However it didn't take long for the media to use his past offence against him.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/30/london-bridge-attack-prisoner-confronted-terrorist-not-hero/

Therefore we have to ask, if risking your life is not enough what will demonstrate to society / media / government that there is goodness in an ex-offender
I wait to see if he will get a medal for risking his life as many others found in this situation and acting in the same manner have done.

Maybe Unlock can take up the question.

Good luck for today, be compassionate to others no matter their offence, and remember you are an ex-offender, a human being and have a life to live not only for yourself. but also those who love you.
By JASB - 8 Jan 20 2:14 PM

JASB - 17 Dec 19 3:23 PM
Hi
This is more to generate another discussion on rehabilitation and what do we have to do to be recognized as an ex-offender.

We have all read about the terrible attack on London bridge and how praise was given to one person who risked his life in saving others.

Personally I was amazed as it is the first time I have seen the wording ex-offender used by the various TV outlets and newspapers. Was it the fact he was risking his life or just the media was forced into saying it because of his actions?

However it didn't take long for the media to use his past offence against him.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/30/london-bridge-attack-prisoner-confronted-terrorist-not-hero/

Therefore we have to ask, if risking your life is not enough what will demonstrate to society / media / government that there is goodness in an ex-offender
I wait to see if he will get a medal for risking his life as many others found in this situation and acting in the same manner have done.

Maybe Unlock can take up the question.

Good luck for today, be compassionate to others no matter their offence, and remember you are an ex-offender, a human being and have a life to live not only for yourself. but also those who love you.

Hi all,
For those that do not watch Prime Minister's questions today I would like to share the welcome news of a politician - Karl Turner -  raising a question to the PM about Steven and asking the PM to praise for his action.

Mr turner was honest in mentioning steven's past but asked the PM to 
congratulate and pay tribute for his act which saved lives
 , which did get a few - but muffled 
here here
from other MP's.

The PM did congratulate Steven and also others but said it is not up to the government to comment but hoped others would reward him appropriately.

Maybe; though unfortunately I do doubt it, these comments may be thought of whenever MP's discuss that for the majority ex-offenders rehabilitation is a statement of fact and society should be encouraged to believe this truth.