theForum

No Equipment Getting Returned Currently

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic27626.aspx

By khafka - 16 Jun 21 4:23 PM

Well, long time coming but I finally got my stuff back today! I was told they'd be returned within 28 days in December 2019. I get COVID threw a bit of a spanner in the works but that didn't really kick off until about March 2020.

Either way. Finally! I thought I would just update folk if they're still waiting for theirs!
By khafka - 4 May 20 3:18 PM

Hi folks,

I thought I'd post a wee update in regards to getting equipment back as I'm still chasing mine. Please Note - I'm in Scotland so your mileage may vary

For those that don't want to trek through my history, to give you a quick overview and time-frame.

I was arrested in early 2019 and then sentencing in Feb 2020, the police found some indecent images on one of my HDDs but everything else was fine so that should be returned to me. I was advised after sentencing they will notify me within 28 days of how to get my stuff.

After 28 days I received nothing so have been chasing it up with the procurator fiscal but not getting anywhere. I sent an email today to the address they stated (_EnquiryPoint@copfs.gov.uk) requesting for an update on what is happening with my stuff. This is the brief response I got:

Good afternoon,

I can advise that any equipment that is to be returned will be with Police Scotland.

However, it should be noted that Police Scotland have issued instruction that they are not returning any items at this moment in time due to the ongoing health crisis.

Kind Regards

[REDACTED]
Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service
National Enquiry Point

So basically looks like nobody is getting anything back or the foreseeable future.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that police can only hold onto equipment for as long as necessary for the investigation under the PACE act, sadly that doesn't appear to be the case in Scotland.

Most of the equipment I'm not too bothered about. I would quite like my mobile back though considering I've been paying for it for the last 2 years and only really used it for about 5 months.