theForum

Job vacancy with HM Inspectorate of Probation

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic28331.aspx

By Deb S - 7 Aug 20 7:50 AM

Hi All

HM Inspectorate of Probation have just posted a new job vacancy that might be of interest:

Service user engagement lead
£30,989 - £41,095
(Two year loan/secondment/fixed term contract)
Closing date - 21st August 2020

HM Inspectorate of Probation are looking for a Service User Engagement Lead who can help get the views of service users embedded into their work. Ideally they are looking for someone with personal experience of probation and/or youth justice as a service user.

The post holder will:
  • Work with others to develop the best ways to involve those with lived experience in the activities of the Inspectorate.
  • Advise on how the Inspectorate can use lived experience to help inform the way it runs.
  • Help develop and deliver the Inspectorate's Service User Engagement action plan.
  • Work with service users to identify, understand and tackle barriers to them getting involved in inspection programmes.
  • Help develop ways of getting service users involved in inspections and research projects, so that the voice of the service user is a key part of the evidence we collect.
  • Attend inspections and other fieldwork to help coordinate the input of service users and those with lived experience to our inspection activity.
  • Help identify and engage a network of contacts who can provide advice on what works best to engage those with lived experience.
  • Identify good practice, develop it and promote it.
  • Contribute to our effective practice products.
  • Attend external events to help inform this area of work and to promote the work of the Inspectorate and what we do on service user engagement.
More details about the vacancy are on the Inspectorate website - https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmiprobation/about-hmi-probation/jobs/

Good luck with your applications.
Debs
By punter99 - 13 Aug 20 10:37 AM

Mr W - 12 Aug 20 6:29 PM
punter99 - 12 Aug 20 10:45 AM
Mr W - 11 Aug 20 6:23 PM
punter99 - 7 Aug 20 11:20 AM
Deb S - 7 Aug 20 7:50 AM
Hi All

HM Inspectorate of Probation have just posted a new job vacancy that might be of interest:

Service user engagement lead
  • Work with others to develop the best ways to involve those with lived experience in the activities of the Inspectorate.
  • Advise on how the Inspectorate can use lived experience to help inform the way it runs.
  • Help develop and deliver the Inspectorate's Service User Engagement action plan.
  • Work with service users to identify, understand and tackle barriers to them getting involved in inspection programmes.
  • Help develop ways of getting service users involved in inspections and research projects, so that the voice of the service user is a key part of the evidence we collect.
  • Attend inspections and other fieldwork to help coordinate the input of service users and those with lived experience to our inspection activity.
  • Help identify and engage a network of contacts who can provide advice on what works best to engage those with lived experience.
  • Identify good practice, develop it and promote it.
  • Contribute to our effective practice products.
  • Attend external events to help inform this area of work and to promote the work of the Inspectorate and what we do on service user engagement.
More details about the vacancy are on the Inspectorate website - https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmiprobation/about-hmi-probation/jobs/

Good luck with your applications.
Debs

It's a fascinating job role, considering that having a criminal record actually gives you an advantage in the selection process. I was interested to see them say that you have to give employment history for the last 3 years so they can do checks. Speaking as someone who lost their job, because of their conviction, I wonder what extra information those checks are supposed to reveal, given that they already know the candidate is a convicted criminal.

The other thing is that part of the job involves visiting Youth Services and so coming into contact with under 18s. I wonder if that precludes sex offenders from applying, when all other offenders would be acceptable?  Anyway, I've emailed them for clarification.

Did you get a reply, punter?

Ten days left before deadline. I'd imagine coming in cold from the outside to take a lead role is probably a leap too far, it's tricky to have an 'excellent understanding of services' when you're not on the inside of that bubble. I've not given up on the idea yet but I'm fully aware I have more barriers than others with 'probation experience'.

No reply so far. If you are thinking about applying, this will help with the questions.

https://www.interviewgold.com/advice/competency-based-interview-questions-and-answers/

That's massively helpful, thanks. I can talk about stuff out loud but I usually end up missing out all the buzzwords and underselling myself on applications, so this link is helpful.
I think I will go for it for the experience if nothing else, I think it's too far out of my reach, but nothing to lose as such.
Are you not tempted? You seem to have your head screwed on better than I do haha.

I received a reply saying that my offence would not stop me from applying, but that it would probably raise 'a few flags'. They acknowleged that every case is different and I already know there is going to be a risk assessment done for anybody who is successful. I probably will apply, like you say, to get the experience and then see what happens.