theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Job vacancy with HM Inspectorate of Probation

Job vacancy with HM Inspectorate of Probation

Author
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Mr W - 12 Aug 20 6:29 PM
punter99 - 12 Aug 20 10:45 AM
Mr W - 11 Aug 20 6:23 PM
punter99 - 7 Aug 20 11:20 AM
Deb S - 7 Aug 20 7:50 AM
Hi All

HM Inspectorate of Probation have just posted a new job vacancy that might be of interest:

Service user engagement lead
  • Work with others to develop the best ways to involve those with lived experience in the activities of the Inspectorate.
  • Advise on how the Inspectorate can use lived experience to help inform the way it runs.
  • Help develop and deliver the Inspectorate's Service User Engagement action plan.
  • Work with service users to identify, understand and tackle barriers to them getting involved in inspection programmes.
  • Help develop ways of getting service users involved in inspections and research projects, so that the voice of the service user is a key part of the evidence we collect.
  • Attend inspections and other fieldwork to help coordinate the input of service users and those with lived experience to our inspection activity.
  • Help identify and engage a network of contacts who can provide advice on what works best to engage those with lived experience.
  • Identify good practice, develop it and promote it.
  • Contribute to our effective practice products.
  • Attend external events to help inform this area of work and to promote the work of the Inspectorate and what we do on service user engagement.
More details about the vacancy are on the Inspectorate website - https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmiprobation/about-hmi-probation/jobs/

Good luck with your applications.
Debs

It's a fascinating job role, considering that having a criminal record actually gives you an advantage in the selection process. I was interested to see them say that you have to give employment history for the last 3 years so they can do checks. Speaking as someone who lost their job, because of their conviction, I wonder what extra information those checks are supposed to reveal, given that they already know the candidate is a convicted criminal.

The other thing is that part of the job involves visiting Youth Services and so coming into contact with under 18s. I wonder if that precludes sex offenders from applying, when all other offenders would be acceptable?  Anyway, I've emailed them for clarification.

Did you get a reply, punter?

Ten days left before deadline. I'd imagine coming in cold from the outside to take a lead role is probably a leap too far, it's tricky to have an 'excellent understanding of services' when you're not on the inside of that bubble. I've not given up on the idea yet but I'm fully aware I have more barriers than others with 'probation experience'.

No reply so far. If you are thinking about applying, this will help with the questions.

https://www.interviewgold.com/advice/competency-based-interview-questions-and-answers/

That's massively helpful, thanks. I can talk about stuff out loud but I usually end up missing out all the buzzwords and underselling myself on applications, so this link is helpful.
I think I will go for it for the experience if nothing else, I think it's too far out of my reach, but nothing to lose as such.
Are you not tempted? You seem to have your head screwed on better than I do haha.

I received a reply saying that my offence would not stop me from applying, but that it would probably raise 'a few flags'. They acknowleged that every case is different and I already know there is going to be a risk assessment done for anybody who is successful. I probably will apply, like you say, to get the experience and then see what happens.

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)

punter99 - 12 Aug 20 10:45 AM
Hi All

HM Inspectorate of Probation have just posted a new job vacancy that might be of interest:

• Work with others to develop the best ways to involve those with lived experience in the activities of the Inspectorate.
  • Advise on how the Inspectorate can use lived experience to help inform the way it runs.
  • Help develop and deliver the Inspectorate's Service User Engagement action plan.
  • Work with service users to identify, understand and tackle barriers to them getting involved in inspection programmes.
  • Help develop ways of getting service users involved in inspections and research projects, so that the voice of the service user is a key part of the evidence we collect.
  • Attend inspections and other fieldwork to help coordinate the input of service users and those with lived experience to our inspection activity.
  • Help identify and engage a network of contacts who can provide advice on what works best to engage those with lived experience.
  • Attend external events to help inform this area of work and to promote the work of the Inspectorate and what we do on service user engagement.
More details about the vacancy are on the Inspectorate website - https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmiprobation/about-hmi-probation/jobs/

Debs

It's a fascinating job role, considering that having a criminal record actually gives you an advantage in the selection process. I was interested to see them say that you have to give employment history for the last 3 years so they can do checks. Speaking as someone who lost their job, because of their conviction, I wonder what extra information those checks are supposed to reveal, given that they already know the candidate is a convicted criminal.

The other thing is that part of the job involves visiting Youth Services and so coming into contact with under 18s. I wonder if that precludes sex offenders from applying, when all other offenders would be acceptable?  Anyway, I've emailed them for clarification.

Ten days left before deadline. I'd imagine coming in cold from the outside to take a lead role is probably a leap too far, it's tricky to have an 'excellent understanding of services' when you're not on the inside of that bubble. I've not given up on the idea yet but I'm fully aware I have more barriers than others with 'probation experience'.

No reply so far. If you are thinking about applying, this will help with the questions.

https://www.interviewgold.com/advice/competency-based-interview-questions-and-answers/

That's massively helpful, thanks. I can talk about stuff out loud but I usually end up missing out all the buzzwords and underselling myself on applications, so this link is helpful.
I think I will go for it for the experience if nothing else, I think it's too far out of my reach, but nothing to lose as such.
Are you not tempted? You seem to have your head screwed on better than I do haha.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Mr W
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)

Hi All

£30,989 - £41,095
(Two year loan/secondment/fixed term contract)

Debs

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)

Hi All

£30,989 - £41,095
Closing date - 21st August 2020

Debs

=====
Edited
4 Years Ago by Mr W
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
AB2014 - 11 Aug 20 12:47 PM
JASB - 11 Aug 20 12:32 PM
AB2014 - 11 Aug 20 11:56 AM
jcdmcr - 10 Aug 20 6:00 PM
punter99 - 9 Aug 20 10:47 AM
There are other similar jobs for ex-offenders, here as well.

http://www.uservoice.org/get-involved/vacancies/

Cheers - i'm having a look at that....

One thing that might count against an application is still reporting to probation, as they would probably see that as a conflict of interest. Oh well, no job for me then. Sad

Hi

Whilst on probation I applied for a role in the Brighton PO, back office no client contact. They loved my CV, skills, experience and manner when I had a telephone interview and I even disclosed.

I was asked to attend an interview. When I contacted the day prior to the interview to ensure everything was still OK they told me it had been cancelled due to my have a SO. They even said they had spoke to my PO for his feedback. My PO said his feedback was positive so thought it was due to the clients attending that office. When I reminded him, that it was a non-client facing role he just said talk to them.
On talking to the Brighton office about was it the clients scenario that stop my progress they said it was my PO. When I said the role was non-facing, they just said the joint decision was the risk of meeting them outside the office. The fact attendees to that office would be adults I struggle to understand their real reasons without being syncial.

Good luck to anyone who applies though. 

Probation are quite clear that if you are reporting to probation, they will not employ you, or even let you attend meetings with them on behalf of another organisation. This happened to a guy I was chatting with in reception once while waiting for my appointment, and cost him a job. All this other stuff about whose fault it was sounds like people who don't know what happened trying to say why it wasn't their fault.

Hi

Not doubting your reply, my memory could be ajar on dates as even after my meeting stopped, I talked to my PO about getting his comments for roles I applied for just to be safe. I knew Brighton would speak to him hence another reason talking to him.
I agree on final suggestion though but only being part of reason though.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)

JASB - 11 Aug 20 12:32 PM

One thing that might count against an application is still reporting to probation, as they would probably see that as a conflict of interest. Oh well, no job for me then. Sad

Hi

Whilst on probation I applied for a role in the Brighton PO, back office no client contact. They loved my CV, skills, experience and manner when I had a telephone interview and I even disclosed.

I was asked to attend an interview. When I contacted the day prior to the interview to ensure everything was still OK they told me it had been cancelled due to my have a SO. They even said they had spoke to my PO for his feedback. My PO said his feedback was positive so thought it was due to the clients attending that office. When I reminded him, that it was a non-client facing role he just said talk to them.
On talking to the Brighton office about was it the clients scenario that stop my progress they said it was my PO. When I said the role was non-facing, they just said the joint decision was the risk of meeting them outside the office. The fact attendees to that office would be adults I struggle to understand their real reasons without being syncial.

Probation are quite clear that if you are reporting to probation, they will not employ you, or even let you attend meetings with them on behalf of another organisation. This happened to a guy I was chatting with in reception once while waiting for my appointment, and cost him a job. All this other stuff about whose fault it was sounds like people who don't know what happened trying to say why it wasn't their fault.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Hi

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)

JASB - 11 Aug 20 12:21 PM

Hi

as of just now there are 2 jobs listed but listed in Apr and Nov 2019.
One is for an intern so that eliminates a lot of readers. 
I tired to call the SE office to ask if SO would be consider but they keep cutting the call off?

I called the Midlands number shown and told it is an incorrect number.
I haven't bothered with the rest as I would suggest as with the vacancies, the website is out of date

I've just followed a link to HMIP from Christopher Stacey's Twitter and ended up here. It has a link to the full job description, etc., and also has contact details if you want to talk about the post.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Hi

as of just now there are 2 jobs listed but listed in Apr and Nov 2019.
One is for an intern so that eliminates a lot of readers. 
I tired to call the SE office to ask if SO would be consider but they keep cutting the call off?

I called the Midlands number shown and told it is an incorrect number.
I haven't bothered with the rest as I would suggest as with the vacancies, the website is out of date

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

J J
J J
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being

Agree. Odds are stacked against, but no harm in trying. If we can use our experience along with the skills we have, then why shouldn't we be given a shot?

=====
Edited
4 Years Ago by Mr W
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being

People on here will know, when an employer says they welcome applications from people with convictions, what they usually mean is, anyone with convictions for a non-sexual offence. So I don't blame others for their cynicism. But you cannot filter jobs when they don't give you enugh information.

Nowhere in this particular job description does it say sexual offenders cannot apply. What they say is that they want people with lived experience of being on probation and a criminal conviction won't stop you from being considered, but if successful, you will have to pass a specially designed risk assessment. It isn't clear whether or not sexual offenders, as a group, would be considered too risky and ruled out, or if the assessment would consider that person's risk, as an individual. But what is clear is that they want people with criminal records to apply, because those people have relevant experience.

Because of the way that the application process works, I would expect most offenders will fall at the first hurdle. They will lack the literacy skills required to make a convincing case for themselves, in writing. The job is most likely to go to someone well educated, with a professional background, who has committed a white collar crime, like fraud, rather than to your 'typical' (for want of a better word) offender, who has no academic qualifications, but who does have a lot of life experience, having been in trouble with the law, since their early teens.

Not to be too cynical about it myself, but you know who would make a perfect candidate for the job? It would be someone like US serial killer, Ted Bundy. The key skill required for this particular role, apart from a conviction, is that of communication and Bundy was a great communicator; charming, very engaging, persuasive and good at speaking to people from all levels. Too bad, he was also a psychopath.
Thorswrath
Thorswrath
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

"the other where the employer is aware that the applicants have a sex offence but willing to really i.e. truthly, consider them"

Don't hold your breath buddy

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being

Hi All

£30,989 - £41,095

HM Inspectorate of Probation are looking for a Service User Engagement Lead who can help get the views of service users embedded into their work. Ideally they are looking for someone with personal experience of probation and/or youth justice as a service user.

Debs

Good thinking, can you keep us posted on what they say to you, punter?

=====
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Hi All

£30,989 - £41,095

HM Inspectorate of Probation are looking for a Service User Engagement Lead who can help get the views of service users embedded into their work. Ideally they are looking for someone with personal experience of probation and/or youth justice as a service user.

Debs

Hi
Debs,

I fully support your commitment to helping EX offenders but even with all my years in HR I would not gain me an advantage for this role because of my 1 offence.

Could I possibly suggest that roles are filtered when advertising into a minimum of 2 categories; one for "non Sex offence" applicants and the other where the employer is aware that the applicants have a sex offence but willing to really i.e. truthly, consider them. This could enable you to maintain stats on the discriminatory action against EX sex offenders. 

As i often state 2000 applications including my being "headhunted" by agencies and employers directly, and on declaration rejection. 

I am not being pessimistic just realistic as someone with the SO label has to be.

Please do keep up the great work you and your colleagues do on behalf of us.

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being

Hi All

£30,989 - £41,095

Debs

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)

Hi All

£30,989 - £41,095

The post holder will:

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
GO