theForum

Another job, what will they decide??

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic32090.aspx

By Mark15788 - 5 Jan 22 11:07 AM

So, I applied for an administration role in November and went through 2 interviews and was offered the role, great.

They were aware I had a unspent conviction and said they didn’t need any more information as of yet as they would judge on skills, experience, qualifications and my interviews - which they did.

I went through references and occupational health which are all completed and also asked to undertake a basic DBS.

I obviously knew what would show up on there and this has come back electronically and paper based and I’ve forwarded this on.

I also asked them to look at my disclosure statement and a log I had been keeping of everything I have done since conviction.

Just waiting on their decision now. No return of phone call or response to email, so I’m worried this is a bad sign.

I seem to have no problem with applications and interviews, it’s always after been offered the role.

I know it’s the law and that but it’s mad to think that in just over a years time if I had applied for the role and been offered it like now the basic DBS would have nothing on it and I wouldn’t of needed to declare.

Seems like sexual offending is still that major stigma. No one seems to want to give individuals who have committed a sexual offence a chance or consider what progress I have made, what I have achieved since conviction or the fact I have been open and honest throughout and committed no further offences.
By JASB - 13 Jan 22 2:40 PM

Mark15788 - 10 Jan 22 6:33 PM
I received the phone call today and was told the job offer has been withdrawn. She told me she couldn’t give any information as it wasn’t her that made the decision but a panel of staff from head office. She did give me the email address of one of the directors though and I sent her an email. I asked if she could give the reasoning behind the decision and asked if a risk assessment was done and could this be shared. I got back a reply mainly about them following process and their safer recruitment policy, nothing else and nothing about risk assessment. Do you think it’s worth pushing for more information or just leaving it there?

Hi
Sorry to hear that news but the wording sounds "self protective" and I would not expect you to get very much more except that policy does not allow that information to be shared.

You could write back thanking them for their response and ask them to confirm that all information they held concerning your application and reasons for rejection are deleted from "any hardcopy or computerised systems". Whilst any information is held, it is not to be disclosed in any manor or format except for legal reasons. If a disclosure did occur, they would notify you immediately of the individuals(s) disclosing and what was disclosed, the requestee, their authority and reasons for the for disclosure request."

If you wish to be a devil you could also say you wish a confirmation o a yearly basis.

Take care and focused on your self belief.

Remember their reply signals you will not get an offer in the future so put the pressure on them; obviously in a polite manner.