theForum

Moral Compasses

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic32177.aspx

By punter99 - 27 Jan 22 2:49 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9995087/NHS-junior-doctor-28-groomed-13-year-old-girl-Kik-spared-prison.html

This story caught my eye, because of the reaction, from people who knew this SO.

"Staff and patients 'all expressed shock' after Farthing was arrested, the court heard, as people thought he had a good 'moral compass'."

"they 'stand by him' because they acknowledge his remorse."

Lawyers mitigating for Farthing, said he had been juggling, working long hours during the pandemic, his wife's health condition and his training.

The reasons given for his offending are not unusual. I've come across plenty of instances, of image offenders using the same explanations. The key difference here, is that he was a doctor. I doubt that a plumber or a carpenter, would have been forgiven, just for showing remorse. It sounds as if he is going to keep his job.

So, does being in a 'caring' profession, indicate that somebody has a better moral compass, than another person doing a different job? Is there ever such a thing as a 'good' SO?
By AB2014 - 31 Jan 22 3:45 PM

dedalus - 31 Jan 22 2:30 PM
punter99 - 27 Jan 22 2:49 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9995087/NHS-junior-doctor-28-groomed-13-year-old-girl-Kik-spared-prison.html

This story caught my eye, because of the reaction, from people who knew this SO.

"Staff and patients 'all expressed shock' after Farthing was arrested, the court heard, as people thought he had a good 'moral compass'."

"they 'stand by him' because they acknowledge his remorse."

Lawyers mitigating for Farthing, said he had been juggling, working long hours during the pandemic, his wife's health condition and his training.

The reasons given for his offending are not unusual. I've come across plenty of instances, of image offenders using the same explanations. The key difference here, is that he was a doctor. I doubt that a plumber or a carpenter, would have been forgiven, just for showing remorse. It sounds as if he is going to keep his job.

So, does being in a 'caring' profession, indicate that somebody has a better moral compass, than another person doing a different job? Is there ever such a thing as a 'good' SO?

Doctors are always protected in this country, whether they mess up a procedure or commit a serious crime. The GMC is a very powerful union. This lot close rank like there is no tomorrow. I despise them throughly and the case you report proves yet again that they are immune to punishment.

As a point of information, the GMC is not a union, it is the regulatory body for doctors. If you aren't registered with them, you are not legally entitled to practise medicine in England & Wales. The BMA is probably the best-known union for doctors, although there are others as well, but they don't regulate the profession. In terms of barring, even the GMC doesn't regulate that, as it is done by the DBS. If it's an autobar offence, then even the DBS can't stop you being barred.