theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Moral Compasses

Moral Compasses

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
dedalus - 31 Jan 22 2:30 PM
punter99 - 27 Jan 22 2:49 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9995087/NHS-junior-doctor-28-groomed-13-year-old-girl-Kik-spared-prison.html

This story caught my eye, because of the reaction, from people who knew this SO.

"Staff and patients 'all expressed shock' after Farthing was arrested, the court heard, as people thought he had a good 'moral compass'."

"they 'stand by him' because they acknowledge his remorse."

Lawyers mitigating for Farthing, said he had been juggling, working long hours during the pandemic, his wife's health condition and his training.

The reasons given for his offending are not unusual. I've come across plenty of instances, of image offenders using the same explanations. The key difference here, is that he was a doctor. I doubt that a plumber or a carpenter, would have been forgiven, just for showing remorse. It sounds as if he is going to keep his job.

So, does being in a 'caring' profession, indicate that somebody has a better moral compass, than another person doing a different job? Is there ever such a thing as a 'good' SO?

Doctors are always protected in this country, whether they mess up a procedure or commit a serious crime. The GMC is a very powerful union. This lot close rank like there is no tomorrow. I despise them throughly and the case you report proves yet again that they are immune to punishment.

As a point of information, the GMC is not a union, it is the regulatory body for doctors. If you aren't registered with them, you are not legally entitled to practise medicine in England & Wales. The BMA is probably the best-known union for doctors, although there are others as well, but they don't regulate the profession. In terms of barring, even the GMC doesn't regulate that, as it is done by the DBS. If it's an autobar offence, then even the DBS can't stop you being barred.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
punter99 - 28 Jan 22 2:51 PM
JASB - 27 Jan 22 5:23 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9995087/NHS-junior-doctor-28-groomed-13-year-old-girl-Kik-spared-prison.html

This story caught my eye, because of the reaction, from people who knew this SO.

"Staff and patients 'all expressed shock' after Farthing was arrested, the court heard, as people thought he had a good 'moral compass'."

Lawyers mitigating for Farthing, said he had been juggling, working long hours during the pandemic, his wife's health condition and his training.

The reasons given for his offending are not unusual. I've come across plenty of instances, of image offenders using the same explanations. The key difference here, is that he was a doctor. I doubt that a plumber or a carpenter, would have been forgiven, just for showing remorse. It sounds as if he is going to keep his job.

So, does being in a 'caring' profession, indicate that somebody has a better moral compass, than another person doing a different job? Is there ever such a thing as a 'good' SO?

Hi
There is so much I could write but I am sure it would come across by some as jealousy for the leniency shown to him so far. I know and debated with many contributors who suggest "image" offences are different to other sex offences but I believe differently. 

Though I will be at the front of the march to say rehabilitation is achievable It is also important to gain an understanding of the individuals offence scenario and issues that created it, However, I am afraid that "society" would / should not let him retain his position. In short of of the most important attributes a Doctor must show is "trust worthy" This is something that no matter the offence someone with a criminal record is "dammed and deemed untrustworthy" by society.
I am not saying my personal views but if parents got upset when The Sun reported incarcerated  SO's were making cuddly toys do you honestly think parents will not march in mass at the thought of him examining their children?
If "Society" did believe his punishment for viewing of "images" is acceptable because he is a doctor and so he retains his job, what would his "mind" take from that? Could he not be seen to gain pleasure by viewing children who come for an appointment?
I feel sorry that years of training etc will be wasted and hope he can contribute like we all attempt to do. However I assume "society" will just say "you shouldn't of committed the crime, be gone with you"

His offence was not images, it was grooming, which some may argue is more serious. Although since he was speaking to a police decoy, there was no victim, which again, might have had an influence on the sentencing. 

Hi
I appreciate your words but I know of 2 individuals convicted of image offences because they had download pictures from a prostitute forum of females they eventually met. The image charge came because they were under 18yrs of age.
So though I maybe have taken my point to far (for which I would apologise) "interpretation" of laws to gain maximum effect is always a possibility not to be ignored.

Take care

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
dedalus
dedalus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)

Doctors are always protected in this country, whether they mess up a procedure or commit a serious crime. The GMC is a very powerful union. This lot close rank like there is no tomorrow. I despise them throughly and the case you report proves yet again that they are immune to punishment.
Edited
2 Years Ago by dedalus
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

punter99 - 29 Jan 22 11:21 AM
AB2014 - 28 Jan 22 3:16 PM

Hi
There is so much I could write but I am sure it would come across by some as jealousy for the leniency shown to him so far. I know and debated with many contributors who suggest "image" offences are different to other sex offences but I believe differently. 

Though I will be at the front of the march to say rehabilitation is achievable It is also important to gain an understanding of the individuals offence scenario and issues that created it, However, I am afraid that "society" would / should not let him retain his position. In short of of the most important attributes a Doctor must show is "trust worthy" This is something that no matter the offence someone with a criminal record is "dammed and deemed untrustworthy" by society.
I am not saying my personal views but if parents got upset when The Sun reported incarcerated  SO's were making cuddly toys do you honestly think parents will not march in mass at the thought of him examining their children?
If "Society" did believe his punishment for viewing of "images" is acceptable because he is a doctor and so he retains his job, what would his "mind" take from that? Could he not be seen to gain pleasure by viewing children who come for an appointment?
I feel sorry that years of training etc will be wasted and hope he can contribute like we all attempt to do. However I assume "society" will just say "you shouldn't of committed the crime, be gone with you"

His offence was not images, it was grooming, which some may argue is more serious. Although since he was speaking to a police decoy, there was no victim, which again, might have had an influence on the sentencing. 

I'm sure that a lot of mitigation was presented by the defence, and the fact that the intended victim was a police officer could well have been a factor. There were automatic barring offences involved, so he won't be a doctor again. However, the report said he was given a 10-year SHPO, but for 6 months suspended, he should have been given a 7-year SHPO, in line with his 7-year notification period. After all that, he can actually feel hard done-by.

Presumably he could go to court to challenge that discrepancy, assuming he realises that he has been hard done by. Since his solicitor obviously didn't spot it, he may have no idea.

Quite possibly, but then it might have been reported incorrectly. Mind you, when has a UK tabloid ever mis-reported a case involving sexual offences? 🤔🙄

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)

AB2014 - 28 Jan 22 3:16 PM

Hi

I'm sure that a lot of mitigation was presented by the defence, and the fact that the intended victim was a police officer could well have been a factor. There were automatic barring offences involved, so he won't be a doctor again. However, the report said he was given a 10-year SHPO, but for 6 months suspended, he should have been given a 7-year SHPO, in line with his 7-year notification period. After all that, he can actually feel hard done-by.

Presumably he could go to court to challenge that discrepancy, assuming he realises that he has been hard done by. Since his solicitor obviously didn't spot it, he may have no idea.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

Hi

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)

Hi

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Hi

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

Well for a bit of anecdotal evidence from myself, I didn't work in what you'd deem as a caring profession. I worked as a manager in a telecom company when I was arrested/convicted of an images offense.

When I was posted in the local paper and then subsequently on social media I was fired within 24hrs. I had a meeting over the phone with HR to tell my side of the story and what happened. Then 20 minutes later they told me I'm done. Furthermore some of the staff wanted to know my address to make a personal visit to kick my head in which I would later hear from someone that was still somewhat civil towards me from work.

I'm actually surprised in that profession and the charges against him he got to keep his job. I was caught with ~200 images and was banned from working with any vulnerable groups for the rest of my adult life, I assume a doctor would have to pass a PVG for that.

On to your main question though - No, I don't think being in a caring profession denotes a moral compass. People go into different jobs and careers for different reasons.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

His employer might feel motivated to keep him, which is good, but if the DBS bars him, which they will have to consider over that conviction, it will make no difference what they want. If it is an autobar offence, then they won't even have to consider it. Either way, will the GMC allow him to keep his registration?

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being

GO