theForum

Successful removal from Google

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic32217.aspx

By Who.me - 4 Feb 22 12:05 PM

I was prompted to explore the options for removing Google search results earlier this week, after media stories about my previous conviction prevented me from being appointed to the vice-chairmanship of my trade body, the board of which I already sit on. It was very much a case that it wasn't the spent conviction which was the issue (which is fully declared, even though it doesn't need to be now that it's spent) but the media articles - alas, sadly, I have a pretty uncommon name, and a pretty distinctive appearance, meaning typing my name into Google revealed a full page of negative publicity. The trade body were concerned about the embarrassment this could cause, and the potential commercial implications - quite understandable!

For background, the alleged offence itself was one of dishonesty, and allegedly took place over a decade ago. I was convicted at trial 7 years ago, and given a short suspended sentence with unpaid work requirement, which I completed without question or further issue. The conviction is therefore spent, and has been for some time.

I say allegedly, as I've always maintained my innocence - however I fully accept that whilst I didn't do what I was accused of, there's plenty I DID do wrong in my youth which I was never punished for, so I took it on the chin and moved on with my life. Since conviction I've dedicated my life to trying to make difference in my community, running charitable projects to help those less fortunate, and building a social business which helps provide employment for a large number of local people. I've always been quite upfront about my past, but have asked people to judge me on the person they know now and the work they see me doing, not on what I was accused of so many years ago, and for the most part that's worked out well. Unfortunately however the conviction has still reared it's ugly head from time to time, due to the media coverage and internet search results, and whilst I've always just sucked it up this week I felt I had to try and do something if I was to avoid being a prisoner of my past for the rest of my life.

I found the Unlock article on Google removal, and followed the instructions just a couple of days ago. To my amazement, I received a reply from them within 24hrs confirming they would remove the links, and within a day they'd gone! 

Hopefully now, whilst I'll continue to be honest about my past when it's appropriate as that past has helped to make me who I am today and fuels so much of what I do, I'll also be able to avoid the embarrassment of having that being everybody's first impression of me. As well as my charity and community work, and sitting on the board that I do, I'm also becoming involved with local politics and trying to make a difference there too, but again this has proven a stumbling block as whilst it's not a bar to becoming involved or even running for elected office should I ever decide to do so, it makes having any kind of reasonable debate impossible when those who oppose your views merely throw various Daily Mail articles back in your face!

Massive thanks Unlock, this will make such a difference to my life and, in a roundabout way, to the lives of the people I work to support. 
By AB2014 - 9 Mar 22 1:51 PM

khafka - 9 Mar 22 12:20 PM
I thought I'd just post an update I got today from ICO which might be of use to others thinking of using them.

As mentioned earlier in the thread I sent off an updated case to ICO to get stuff removed from Google. Aside from an automated response confirming receipt of my complaint it has been radio silence for a month.

So today I just went onto the online chat and have been advised there is around a 4 month waiting list for stuff to be picked up. At present they're working on things from the 7th of December last year and they work in date order so I should expect to be contacted around the end of May.

Seems their cases are stacking up quite heavily - When I initially tried this back in 2020 I got a response in about a week.

I suspect that as time goes by, more people realise they can complain to the ICO. Victims of their own publicity? There may well be cases where the complainant is just trying it on, but at least this shows they appear to be looking into complaints properly. That has to be reassuring....