theForum

Passwords and Facebook

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic32498.aspx

By Mo22 - 28 May 22 6:23 PM

Hi guys. Are you allowed to use Facebook while on a shpo? Also do you have to give the ppu your passwords for like emails etc.
By Dean91 - 30 May 22 7:25 PM

AB2014 - 30 May 22 12:06 PM

As you say, it is Facebook policy rather than law, but if the police tell them, then your account will be closed much faster than if you were an abusive troll.... As xDanx said, if it's not on your SHPO, it's not a breach. You are required to notify your account details, as social media usernames are considered aliases, but there's no requirement to supply passwords. After all, they probably have monitoring software or the right to check other devices, so they will know which sites you have visited and what apps you have on your devices.

If you have an SHPO in force, you are effectively on the SOR anyway (see under "Notification requirements"). As you probably all know, I'm quite a cynic in these matters, and for most offences you can be considered an ex-offender, but generally not for a sexual offence, regardless of the technicalities. As far as I'm concerned, anyone is an ex-offender as soon as they stop offending, just as an ex-smoker is someone who has stopped smoking. However, many people see it more along the lines of drug/alcohol addiction, where you can never be an ex-addict.

For me you have to be cynical when it comes down to the PPU, as they do have a habit of saying one thing, doing another or changing their minds entirely. 
I am fortunate that I have been open about my offences to my family and these are the people I live with, so just as PPU come in pairs, I don't deal with them on my own either; and acts kinda as a way of a witness when they say they did x y z when they never. 

I have met many people who believe just because you are an RSO automatically means you cannot control yourself with children and automatically want to do contact offences which is wrong and by a long stretch. 

I have to agree to the definition of ex offender though, and I think this is a good description. 

My SHPO says I have to disclose passwords to them if asked, but this is because when I got interviewed they wanted my passwords so I refused and pretty much told them to give me a section 49 notice 😂. 

Its worth noting though, if they ask for your passwords and you don't give them they can apply under RIPA to get a Section 49 notice to get them out of you or face up to 2 years inside. 

For me personally, The 2003 act is now becoming vast out of date unfortuantely, the law always plays catch up just like the computer misuse act. :/