theForum

Is privately renting while unspent possible?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic33998.aspx

By Mr W - 23 Jun 23 2:07 PM

I'm thinking of moving to a city, eg London or Manchester.
I'm unspent because of a SHPO, I get no financial help from govt/DWP etc, I have some money available if needed upfront.
Is it possible? Or do landlords run a mile with unspent convictions because of insurance? Even if I get a place, will gettin a job be equally as difficult and it's all going to be a waste of money?
I have zero knowledge of how this works, I've heard landlords do DBS checks now?! So treat me as if I know nothing.
Thanks in advance.
By AB2014 - 22 Aug 23 9:58 AM

JASB - 19 Aug 23 1:26 PM
Mr W - 12 Aug 23 2:53 PM
Yup, so that tells you that I think they're *so bad*, I'm willing to take that chance. Plus, people on here don't seem to be having the problems I have with overbearing police effectively keeping me isolated.
The StopItNow lady the other day also suggested a complaint but only after I'm free of them. That's extra motivation to make the move a success.
My legal rep has stated his 'concern' in black and white in a letter which I'll give them when they show up next.

Hi

I stayed in one location for a few years on my release; then I moved.

In my opinion, in the same manner as you are concerned with a "new police area practices", they will have the same concerns about you; it is true. 
In my opinion this is because their is a lack of "trust " on the data held centrally. They know the practices of their own area may be suspect so why trust an other area lol

Until recently I have rented and never had to disclose. To be honest I would be more concerned about the rising cost of rent.
Else get a motorhome / caravan and book a weekly meeting to register. They would get to know you very quickly and possible help with overall.

Let us know how you get on. Where I now live we have the "world's most expensive ferry tickets" in regard to cost to miles covered so everywhere has its's downsides

Regsitering weekly might not help, as it doesn't have to be done by PPU. Mine is always done by front desk staff in an interview room. They just ask if the information has changed, I show them my driving licence and bank cards and that's it for another twelve months. Of course, it might be different in other areas.