theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Is privately renting while unspent possible?

Is privately renting while unspent possible?

Author
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I'm thinking of moving to a city, eg London or Manchester.
I'm unspent because of a SHPO, I get no financial help from govt/DWP etc, I have some money available if needed upfront.
Is it possible? Or do landlords run a mile with unspent convictions because of insurance? Even if I get a place, will gettin a job be equally as difficult and it's all going to be a waste of money?
I have zero knowledge of how this works, I've heard landlords do DBS checks now?! So treat me as if I know nothing.
Thanks in advance.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

I would give these a read -

https://www.nacro.org.uk/nacro-services/advice/advice-for-individuals/housing/

https://unlock.org.uk/topic/housing-and-living-in-the-uk/

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Thank you, I have looked at those.
It's not going to be easy I know, I was wondering if anyone had experience in recent times, what the current temperature is like on the amount of checks that go on etc

=====
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Mr W - 23 Jun 23 2:07 PM
I'm unspent because of a SHPO, I get no financial help from govt/DWP etc, I have some money available if needed upfront.
Is it possible? Or do landlords run a mile with unspent convictions because of insurance? Even if I get a place, will gettin a job be equally as difficult and it's all going to be a waste of money?
I have zero knowledge of how this works, I've heard landlords do DBS checks now?! So treat me as if I know nothing.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Mr W

Since my release in 2014 I have been renting in 2 different properties. never have I had to undergo a "background check" so fingers crossed for you. PPU were not really bothered either but each area different.

However in 2015 I was going to buy a flat and the "lease agreement" I would have to sign did have a line in it about Crim Recs due to the building insurance; but a solicitor told me that if I rented it out then it would be up to me to enforce but again double check "your tenant agreement.

Having just bought a flat I have been renting, I double checked the lease agreement and not mentioned.

Moral of the story "just check" as everything is different in every ocurance Smile

Good luck and hope goes well.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being

JASB - 8 Jul 23 2:23 PM
Thanks in advance.

Hi Mr W

Since my release in 2014 I have been renting in 2 different properties. never have I had to undergo a "background check" so fingers crossed for you. PPU were not really bothered either but each area different.

However in 2015 I was going to buy a flat and the "lease agreement" I would have to sign did have a line in it about Crim Recs due to the building insurance; but a solicitor told me that if I rented it out then it would be up to me to enforce but again double check "your tenant agreement.

Having just bought a flat I have been renting, I double checked the lease agreement and not mentioned.

Moral of the story "just check" as everything is different in every ocurance Smile

Thanks JASB, that does sound a little more hopeful than what I'd read so far.
The rub is apparently around the insurance the landlord has to pay because I'm unspent and I read that it's on me to be upfront about it. Whether to read between the lines there, I'm not sure. One step at a time, I guess.

=====
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

Mr W - 10 Jul 23 2:28 PM
Thanks in advance.

Hi Mr W

The rub is apparently around the insurance the landlord has to pay because I'm unspent and I read that it's on me to be upfront about it. Whether to read between the lines there, I'm not sure. One step at a time, I guess.

I think it's on the landlord, who is the policyholder, to be upfront about it. You have a responsibility to answer disclosure questions accurately in line with what the landlord has the legal right to see. If they don't ask, it's not your responsibility to insist that they let you disclose to them.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Richie
Richie
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)

Mr W - 10 Jul 23 2:28 PM
Thanks in advance.

Hi Mr W

All the rules around disclosure are that you only need to disclose to insurance companies or landlords if they ask you. If they don't ask you then don't tell them anything they don't need to know.

As you are renting I would just look at a few landlords and letting agents. If they ask about criminal convictions then you have to face up to it but I bet a lot don't. It maybe better going direct to independent landlords than through an agency. An agency is more likely to do checks on you than an independent landlord.

I own a leasehold flat and have never been asked about criminal offences. There is nothing in the lease which says I have to declare any offences so as far as I am concerned I don't have to disclose. I buy my building insurance through the landlord but the question has never been asked. It was however the most panicky part of buying the flat in case someone asked about convictions!
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being

Just a little update on this if anyone else was thinking of doing something similar. 
Someone suggested to ask the StopitNow helpline and I spoke to a helpful lady. They understand the situation we're in without having to explain everything about orders etc.
They suggested AirBnB and keep the police happy by reporting the address as a holiday short/mid term. Then it saves registering with the new force.
Also, some hotels, in London at least from what I've seen, are advertising their rooms as longer stays. The interesting thing about that is the "bills" are included (as you would expect staying in a hotel), so that gets around insurance/bills at least for a short term to mid term. Also they're in better locations than what is affordable to rent.
Thanks also for the idea about the independent landlords, Richie, I've found a site that has independent ones which I'll keep an eye on.
Ideally, this gives more time to build a foundation without taking the plunge in the deep end and "officially move" if you like.
These options make this feel like this idea is a bit more achievable. One step at a time...

=====
Edited
9 Months Ago by Mr W
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

Mr W - 10 Aug 23 5:27 PM
Just a little update on this if anyone else was thinking of doing something similar. 
Someone suggested to ask the StopitNow helpline and I spoke to a helpful lady. They understand the situation we're in without having to explain everything about orders etc.
They suggested AirBnB and keep the police happy by reporting the address as a holiday short/mid term. Then it saves registering with the new force.
Also, some hotels, in London at least from what I've seen, are advertising their rooms as longer stays. The interesting thing about that is the "bills" are included (as you would expect staying in a hotel), so that gets around insurance/bills at least for a short term to mid term. Also they're in better locations than what is affordable to rent.
Thanks also for the idea about the independent landlords, Richie, I've found a site that has independent ones.
Ideally, this gives more time to build a foundation without taking the plunge in the deep end.
These options make this feel like this idea is a bit more achievable. One step at a time...

So what exactly is your plan? Move to the area temporarily to look for work, and get somewhere permanent when you get a job?
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being

punter99 - 11 Aug 23 11:52 AM
Mr W - 10 Aug 23 5:27 PM
Thanks also for the idea about the independent landlords, Richie, I've found a site that has independent ones.
Ideally, this gives more time to build a foundation without taking the plunge in the deep end.

So what exactly is your plan? Move to the area temporarily to look for work, and get somewhere permanent when you get a job?

Pretty much. I can take my freelance work I'm doing now with me, because that can be done from anywhere. Apply and hopefully line up some interviews and then get there and see what happens.
There's hardly any opportunities where I live because it's so rural, so at least I can spend some time in the city seeing more life. I have (supportive) friends there too.
Worst case scenario I end up back here in ruraltown and I take stock. But I'm not going to sit around for five years waiting for this pointless order to end and be a punching bag to a bullying police force, that vile combination is ruining me.

=====
GO