theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Is privately renting while unspent possible?

Is privately renting while unspent possible?

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Mr W - 23 Jun 23 2:07 PM
I'm thinking of moving to a city, eg London or Manchester.
I'm unspent because of a SHPO, I get no financial help from govt/DWP etc, I have some money available if needed upfront.
Is it possible? Or do landlords run a mile with unspent convictions because of insurance? Even if I get a place, will gettin a job be equally as difficult and it's all going to be a waste of money?
I have zero knowledge of how this works, I've heard landlords do DBS checks now?! So treat me as if I know nothing.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Mr W

Since my release in 2014 I have been renting in 2 different properties. never have I had to undergo a "background check" so fingers crossed for you. PPU were not really bothered either but each area different.

However in 2015 I was going to buy a flat and the "lease agreement" I would have to sign did have a line in it about Crim Recs due to the building insurance; but a solicitor told me that if I rented it out then it would be up to me to enforce but again double check "your tenant agreement.

Having just bought a flat I have been renting, I double checked the lease agreement and not mentioned.

Moral of the story "just check" as everything is different in every ocurance Smile

Good luck and hope goes well.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Thank you, I have looked at those.
It's not going to be easy I know, I was wondering if anyone had experience in recent times, what the current temperature is like on the amount of checks that go on etc

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

I would give these a read -

https://www.nacro.org.uk/nacro-services/advice/advice-for-individuals/housing/

https://unlock.org.uk/topic/housing-and-living-in-the-uk/

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

I'm thinking of moving to a city, eg London or Manchester.
I'm unspent because of a SHPO, I get no financial help from govt/DWP etc, I have some money available if needed upfront.
Is it possible? Or do landlords run a mile with unspent convictions because of insurance? Even if I get a place, will gettin a job be equally as difficult and it's all going to be a waste of money?
I have zero knowledge of how this works, I've heard landlords do DBS checks now?! So treat me as if I know nothing.
Thanks in advance.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
GO