theForum

Any success?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic34127.aspx

By Mark15788 - 18 Aug 23 8:50 PM

Has anyone managed to get contents insurance okay once their conviction became spent? (Became spent May 2023).

Yes I can now select the box to say that I have no spent convictions.

However the question where they usually ask if you have had insurance previously withdrawn, I would need to say yes, because when I initially was convicted in 2018 (became spent May 2023) and therefore was unspent I had to tell my insurance company at the time and they withdrew it from me, so would the insurance company I apply to then want to know why and ultimately find out about my past anyway?
By AB2014 - 22 Aug 23 9:54 AM

Mark15788 - 18 Aug 23 8:50 PM
Has anyone managed to get contents insurance okay once their conviction became spent? (Became spent May 2023). Yes I can now select the box to say that I have no spent convictions. However the question where they usually ask if you have had insurance previously withdrawn, I would need to say yes, because when I initially was convicted in 2018 (became spent May 2023) and therefore was unspent I had to tell my insurance company at the time and they withdrew it from me, so would the insurance company I apply to then want to know why and ultimately find out about my past anyway?

According to Unlock's advice, you didn't have a policy cancelled or refused, as such. They just didn't have a policy to suit your circumstances. They said it's like when Sheila's Wheels only insured women. Also, if you try to get insurance for Northern Ireland anywhere out side Northern Ireland, you won't get it, because the insurers don't have a policy to suit your circumstances. You don't have to disclose spent convictions, or any information that would associate you with spent convictions. Just say no. If you want confirmation, you can always contact their helpline.