theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Any success?

Any success?

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Mark15788 - 18 Aug 23 8:50 PM
Has anyone managed to get contents insurance okay once their conviction became spent? (Became spent May 2023). Yes I can now select the box to say that I have no spent convictions. However the question where they usually ask if you have had insurance previously withdrawn, I would need to say yes, because when I initially was convicted in 2018 (became spent May 2023) and therefore was unspent I had to tell my insurance company at the time and they withdrew it from me, so would the insurance company I apply to then want to know why and ultimately find out about my past anyway?

According to Unlock's advice, you didn't have a policy cancelled or refused, as such. They just didn't have a policy to suit your circumstances. They said it's like when Sheila's Wheels only insured women. Also, if you try to get insurance for Northern Ireland anywhere out side Northern Ireland, you won't get it, because the insurers don't have a policy to suit your circumstances. You don't have to disclose spent convictions, or any information that would associate you with spent convictions. Just say no. If you want confirmation, you can always contact their helpline.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Mark15788 - 18 Aug 23 8:50 PM
Has anyone managed to get contents insurance okay once their conviction became spent? (Became spent May 2023). Yes I can now select the box to say that I have no spent convictions. However the question where they usually ask if you have had insurance previously withdrawn, I would need to say yes, because when I initially was convicted in 2018 (became spent May 2023) and therefore was unspent I had to tell my insurance company at the time and they withdrew it from me, so would the insurance company I apply to then want to know why and ultimately find out about my past anyway?

Hi
In ways unfortunatley you are caught in a loop. I'm not sure if correct but trying going through a broker as that does offer some protection maybe.

Personally I have stayed away from it until my "unspent" box can be ignored. However with other insurances (car) I did the above but now wonder how much data is shared behind the scenes lol

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Mo22
Mo22
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)

Hi sorry this is unrelated to your post. How do I make a post? I seem to only see a + sign at the new to forum page to make posts
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Has anyone managed to get contents insurance okay once their conviction became spent? (Became spent May 2023).

Yes I can now select the box to say that I have no spent convictions.

However the question where they usually ask if you have had insurance previously withdrawn, I would need to say yes, because when I initially was convicted in 2018 (became spent May 2023) and therefore was unspent I had to tell my insurance company at the time and they withdrew it from me, so would the insurance company I apply to then want to know why and ultimately find out about my past anyway?
GO