theForum

Google Removals Journey

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic34534.aspx

By khafka - 23 Jan 24 2:26 PM

Hey folks,

I thought I'd document my second attempt at trying to get search results about me removed in the hopes it may help someone in the future and give a bit of a realistic overview of what actually happens.

So a quick recap of the offence as it may be relevant for some:
  • Indecent Images Offence
  • 120hrs Community Resolution Order
  • RSO Rehabilitation Program
  • Subject to the notification requirements for 3 years
My 3 years on the registry was the final bit holding it all back from being spent (even though it seems that it would still class as being spent regardless) but either way, with that element no longer in the way it should give them even less to push back on.

I have applied in the past and have been removed due to the very vague "public interest" reason that nobody at Google can seem to define for me. ICO have also been completely useless and in the first instance actually caused more issues by accidentally giving my contact details to a vigilante group. But I digress...

As of today (23/01/2024) I have submitted a fresh request and referenced my previous request from ~4 years ago.

I submitted all the links I could find for up to 10 pages on Google (which I felt would be enough), which in the end result in around 10 links in total.
My main reasoning for the link removal was focused around the offence being spent, the rehabilitation of offenders act stating that I have a legal right to move on with my life as if this offence didn't happen (as suggested by NACRO). As well as the links just being generally no longer in the public interest and how I'm not a famous person of interest etc.

I will continue to update this post as and when updates happen.
By Mr W - 14 Mar 24 4:09 PM

khafka - 14 Mar 24 12:48 PM
punter99 - 14 Mar 24 11:49 AM
khafka - 13 Mar 24 6:34 PM
Mr W - 13 Mar 24 5:02 PM
We may have a very interesting 21st Century problem.
Could 'ChatGPT Effect' become the new 'Google Effect'? ChatGPT - https://chat.openai.com/chat

Khafka, you might be a good test subject. (Or anyone who is still Google-able now to see if it is the case.)
I've just ChatGPT'd my name and it's come up with a response and linking to newspapers.
Now that you've been successful in De-Googling, if you ChatGPT yourself, so to speak, do you still come up?
Everyone else, do you come up in results?
If you type: 'Who is NAME from LOCATION'
You can allow it web access (button at the bottom).

This could then also be the case with each of the ChatGPT-type models, especially if people move away from Googling, such as Elon Musk's Grok and Google's Gemini.

I gave it a wee go although I couldn't seem to see the web access button at the bottom so this might not be accurate.

I tried two variations and got nothing back for either.

When I tried to be a bit more specific and initially just added 'sex' at the end it freaked out and said they're not allowed to do stuff like that - So changed it to 'sex offender' and it doesn't really give much.

It scrapes the net, but only from a fixed point in the past, so presumably if a conviction were still Googleable in Jan 2022, then it would show up, even if the details were removed from Google searches after 2022.

Ah okay, cool.
Well there's the outcome for me anyway. I'm more than happy to try these wee experiments in the hopes that they can hopefully help or inform people.

Thanks for doing this. It'll be interesting to know how many it does affect, because I wonder if this affects the 'right to be forgotten'.