theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Google Removals Journey

Google Removals Journey

Author
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hey folks,

I thought I'd document my second attempt at trying to get search results about me removed in the hopes it may help someone in the future and give a bit of a realistic overview of what actually happens.

So a quick recap of the offence as it may be relevant for some:
  • Indecent Images Offence
  • 120hrs Community Resolution Order
  • RSO Rehabilitation Program
  • Subject to the notification requirements for 3 years
My 3 years on the registry was the final bit holding it all back from being spent (even though it seems that it would still class as being spent regardless) but either way, with that element no longer in the way it should give them even less to push back on.

I have applied in the past and have been removed due to the very vague "public interest" reason that nobody at Google can seem to define for me. ICO have also been completely useless and in the first instance actually caused more issues by accidentally giving my contact details to a vigilante group. But I digress...

As of today (23/01/2024) I have submitted a fresh request and referenced my previous request from ~4 years ago.

I submitted all the links I could find for up to 10 pages on Google (which I felt would be enough), which in the end result in around 10 links in total.
My main reasoning for the link removal was focused around the offence being spent, the rehabilitation of offenders act stating that I have a legal right to move on with my life as if this offence didn't happen (as suggested by NACRO). As well as the links just being generally no longer in the public interest and how I'm not a famous person of interest etc.

I will continue to update this post as and when updates happen.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

khafka - 23 Jan 24 2:26 PM
Hey folks,

I thought I'd document my second attempt at trying to get search results about me removed in the hopes it may help someone in the future and give a bit of a realistic overview of what actually happens.
My 3 years on the registry was the final bit holding it all back from being spent (even though it seems that it would still class as being spent regardless) but either way, with that element no longer in the way it should give them even less to push back on.

I have applied in the past and have been removed due to the very vague "public interest" reason that nobody at Google can seem to define for me. ICO have also been completely useless and in the first instance actually caused more issues by accidentally giving my contact details to a vigilante group. But I digress...

As of today (23/01/2024) I have submitted a fresh request and referenced my previous request from ~4 years ago.

I submitted all the links I could find for up to 10 pages on Google (which I felt would be enough), which in the end result in around 10 links in total.
My main reasoning for the link removal was focused around the offence being spent, the rehabilitation of offenders act stating that I have a legal right to move on with my life as if this offence didn't happen (as suggested by NACRO). As well as the links just being generally no longer in the public interest and how I'm not a famous person of interest etc.

The only things I would add to that is the the law down here in England is that you have the right to be treated in the same way as someone who doesn't have that conviction. Also, I think I mentioned last time around that their London-centric approach means it might be helpful to include a basic disclosure from Disclosure Scotland, but if you would be off the register even in England then that shouldn't be necessary. Let's all hope it goes well this time. 🤞

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)

AB2014 - 23 Jan 24 2:33 PM
Hey folks,

The only things I would add to that is the the law down here in England is that you have the right to be treated in the same way as someone who doesn't have that conviction. Also, I think I mentioned last time around that their London-centric approach means it might be helpful to include a basic disclosure from Disclosure Scotland, but if you would be off the register even in England then that shouldn't be necessary. Let's all hope it goes well this time. 🤞

Yeah, I honestly keep forgetting about the Scotland/England law differences. As you say, I'm off the register these days so it should be a fairly moot point.

I haven't tackled Bing or Yahoo or anything of those yet. As Google is clearly the most common one I want to get that sorted first and then see about the others.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

khafka - 23 Jan 24 2:39 PM
AB2014 - 23 Jan 24 2:33 PM
Hey folks,

Yeah, I honestly keep forgetting about the Scotland/England law differences. As you say, I'm off the register these days so it should be a fairly moot point.

I haven't tackled Bing or Yahoo or anything of those yet. As Google is clearly the most common one I want to get that sorted first and then see about the others.

I think someone posted on here that they had received better, quicker treatment from other search engines. I don't know if removal by Bing and/or Yahoo would butter any parsnips (🤢) with Google, but applying in that order might help. Of course, it might not.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being

So an update already! Looks like they're after some of my court documents or something. Here is the response.

Hello,
Thanks for reaching out to us.
Regarding the following URLs:

[LIST OF LINK URLS]

We need more information in order to process your request. Please reply to this request and provide documentation confirming the length of the sentence and the years during which it took place. This information will allow us to evaluate if Google’s reference to this content is still relevant and in the public interest.

Without the requested documentation attached to your reply, we cannot take further action on your request.

Regards,

The Google Team

Promising.. maybe? It's a different response than last time.. I'll see if I can find some stuff to send them.

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being

Well that was quick! Looks like success!!!

Hello,

We had a look at these URLs:
[URL LIST]

We'll delist these URLs from search results for queries related to your name. We'll delist them in your country, and from other European versions of Google Search. It may take a few hours for this to happen.
The content itself will still be online, but you can ask the site's webmaster to take it down. You can learn how to contact a site's webmaster on our Help Center.

Actually buzzing now. Been trying for a while to get this.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

khafka - 23 Jan 24 4:57 PM

Hello,

[URL LIST]

We'll delist these URLs from search results for queries related to your name. We'll delist them in your country, and from other European versions of Google Search. It may take a few hours for this to happen.
The content itself will still be online, but you can ask the site's webmaster to take it down. You can learn how to contact a site's webmaster on our Help Center.

That is excellent news! Congratulations: you're no longer an unperson. 🎉🎇🎈🎊 Now you really can live your best life. 😄

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 25 Jan 24 9:03 AM

Hello,

[URL LIST]

That is excellent news! Congratulations: you're no longer an unperson. 🎉🎇🎈🎊 Now you really can live your best life. 😄

Thanks, mate! I keep searching under various things like "first name last city, first name last name crime etc" to try and pick up any stragglers link wise and they don't give any kind of push back on them, I just reply to their email with more links and then a couple of hours later they say they're gone. I'm fortunate that there wasn't really a huge amount to begin with but it's refreshing to punch my name into Google and there be nothing on it about me.

I submitted my Bing request a couple of days ago, still waiting to hear back from them - Their removal form is an absolute shitemare by comparison.

Jamie7718
Jamie7718
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)

khafka - 25 Jan 24 10:43 AM
AB2014 - 25 Jan 24 9:03 AM

Hello,

[URL LIST]

Thanks, mate! I keep searching under various things like "first name last city, first name last name crime etc" to try and pick up any stragglers link wise and they don't give any kind of push back on them, I just reply to their email with more links and then a couple of hours later they say they're gone. I'm fortunate that there wasn't really a huge amount to begin with but it's refreshing to punch my name into Google and there be nothing on it about me.

I submitted my Bing request a couple of days ago, still waiting to hear back from them - Their removal form is an absolute shitemare by comparison.

I thought there used to be a way of chatting with you in a DM. I was going to ask you for the link or address where you actually asked for help from google. I'm not going to need it for another 2 years though Sad
khafka
khafka
Supreme Being

Jamie7718 - 25 Jan 24 1:01 PM

I thought there used to be a way of chatting with you in a DM. I was going to ask you for the link or address where you actually asked for help from google. I'm not going to need it for another 2 years though Sad

If there is a chat feature it's certainly not something I've ever come across!

Regardless, here you go.

Google Removal Information
This is just the overview page to tell you what sort of things they remove and all that.
Google Removal Form
This is the actual removal form if you just want to skip all that.

GO