theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Google Removals Journey

Google Removals Journey

Author
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
khafka - 14 Mar 24 12:48 PM
punter99 - 14 Mar 24 11:49 AM
khafka - 13 Mar 24 6:34 PM
Mr W - 13 Mar 24 5:02 PM
We may have a very interesting 21st Century problem.
Could 'ChatGPT Effect' become the new 'Google Effect'? ChatGPT - https://chat.openai.com/chat

Khafka, you might be a good test subject. (Or anyone who is still Google-able now to see if it is the case.)
I've just ChatGPT'd my name and it's come up with a response and linking to newspapers.
Now that you've been successful in De-Googling, if you ChatGPT yourself, so to speak, do you still come up?
Everyone else, do you come up in results?
If you type: 'Who is NAME from LOCATION'
You can allow it web access (button at the bottom).

This could then also be the case with each of the ChatGPT-type models, especially if people move away from Googling, such as Elon Musk's Grok and Google's Gemini.

I gave it a wee go although I couldn't seem to see the web access button at the bottom so this might not be accurate.

I tried two variations and got nothing back for either.

When I tried to be a bit more specific and initially just added 'sex' at the end it freaked out and said they're not allowed to do stuff like that - So changed it to 'sex offender' and it doesn't really give much.

It scrapes the net, but only from a fixed point in the past, so presumably if a conviction were still Googleable in Jan 2022, then it would show up, even if the details were removed from Google searches after 2022.

Ah okay, cool.
Well there's the outcome for me anyway. I'm more than happy to try these wee experiments in the hopes that they can hopefully help or inform people.

Thanks for doing this. It'll be interesting to know how many it does affect, because I wonder if this affects the 'right to be forgotten'.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Edited
2 Months Ago by Mr W
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

Could 'ChatGPT Effect' become the new 'Google Effect'? ChatGPT - https://chat.openai.com/chat

Khafka, you might be a good test subject. (Or anyone who is still Google-able now to see if it is the case.)
I've just ChatGPT'd my name and it's come up with a response and linking to newspapers.
Now that you've been successful in De-Googling, if you ChatGPT yourself, so to speak, do you still come up?

This could then also be the case with each of the ChatGPT-type models, especially if people move away from Googling, such as Elon Musk's Grok and Google's Gemini.

I gave it a wee go although I couldn't seem to see the web access button at the bottom so this might not be accurate.

When I tried to be a bit more specific and initially just added 'sex' at the end it freaked out and said they're not allowed to do stuff like that - So changed it to 'sex offender' and it doesn't really give much.

It scrapes the net, but only from a fixed point in the past, so presumably if a conviction were still Googleable in Jan 2022, then it would show up, even if the details were removed from Google searches after 2022.

That's why the "web access" option is interesting because it does have access to the live internet. To test, I just asked it about a share price in Feb 2024 and it was correct.

=====
khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)

Ah okay, cool.
Well there's the outcome for me anyway. I'm more than happy to try these wee experiments in the hopes that they can hopefully help or inform people.

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being

=====
Lineofduty
Lineofduty
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
One angle to try with regards “public interest” is to turn the phrase around. it’s not about the public’s interest - of course they’d always be interested in such info for gossip / stigma - it’s actually about managing risk in the public interest.
You’ve done your time, there’s no SOR or SHPO, therefore in law and also public risk assessment you are no longer deemed to be a risk to the public which the police (PPU) need to manage.
Try that.
khafka
khafka
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 29 Jan 24 9:31 AM

Yes, the ICO has to be worth a try, especially as you effectively have Google on your side. I've mentioned the difference in laws before, but if your conviction would also be spent in England & Wales, that means the spent conviction argument applies across the UK and not just in Scotland.

Who uses Bing? Apparently, Bing has just under 4% of the market share in the UK, so fewer than 1 in 25. I only use it because I use Edge rather than Chrome.

Oh absolutely, I know nobody uses Bing but I'm trying to cover all my bases here, at least with the more 'popular' search engines.

Bing doesn't actually seem to have too many links about me in the search results, only 4 compared to about a dozen with Google.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)

Steadfast - 28 Jan 24 10:46 AM
khafka - 28 Jan 24 10:24 AM
Well in keeping with the journey theme:

Finally heard back from Bing this time and they've told me to bugger off. They'll keep listing the links for "Public interest".

There is no option to appeal it, I'd just have to submit a new request. Given Google have conceded and removed the links I'm wondering if I go to ICO with that knowledge if they could maybe push Bing a bit on it?

Don't give up khafa! Considering the convictions are now spent and Google have accepted this as good enough reason to remove the results - a stab at the ICO could be a good route.
I suppose the 'good thing' here, however, is that nobody actually uses bing! haha
Best of luck.

Yes, the ICO has to be worth a try, especially as you effectively have Google on your side. I've mentioned the difference in laws before, but if your conviction would also be spent in England & Wales, that means the spent conviction argument applies across the UK and not just in Scotland.

Who uses Bing? Apparently, Bing has just under 4% of the market share in the UK, so fewer than 1 in 25. I only use it because I use Edge rather than Chrome.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Steadfast
Steadfast
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)

khafka - 28 Jan 24 10:24 AM
Well in keeping with the journey theme:

Finally heard back from Bing this time and they've told me to bugger off. They'll keep listing the links for "Public interest".

There is no option to appeal it, I'd just have to submit a new request. Given Google have conceded and removed the links I'm wondering if I go to ICO with that knowledge if they could maybe push Bing a bit on it?

Don't give up khafa! Considering the convictions are now spent and Google have accepted this as good enough reason to remove the results - a stab at the ICO could be a good route.
I suppose the 'good thing' here, however, is that nobody actually uses bing! haha
Best of luck.
GO