theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

New job - but a moral dilemma. What would you do?

New job - but a moral dilemma. What would you do?

Author
RunningMan
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hello
After some big battles (e.g. Google effect problems, being unfairly dismissed from a previous role, being refused access to higher education, getting my SOPO discharged early and fighting to get a clean Basic DBS check), I have finally got an amazing new job. This role is the first step on a new career path, for which I have studied really hard. I was so pleased. I now have a clear DBS and the convictions are spent (it felt so good not having to 'tick the box'). 
However, these days employers add rather sneaky, 'catch-all' clauses like: "The information in this application form is true and complete. I agree that any deliberate omission, falsification or misrepresentation in the application form will be grounds for rejecting this application or subsequent dismissal if employed by the organisation." I want a fresh start, I want to work and contribute to society once again. My convictions are spent; the SOPO is gone and I did nothing wrong that resulted being unfairly dismissed from my previous role. Yet I know if I did mention my SO status, or being dismissed to my now new employer, regardless of whether my convictions are spent or not, they would never have offered me the job in the first place! But what else can I do? Legally I am not in the wrong but technically have I 'deliberately omitted or misrepresented' my situation and so deserve the consequences? Let me know what you think...
RM

Hola
Hola
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

RunningMan - 24 Apr 18 4:20 PM
Hello
After some big battles (e.g. Google effect problems, being unfairly dismissed from a previous role, being refused access to higher education, getting my SOPO discharged early and fighting to get a clean Basic DBS check), I have finally got an amazing new job. This role is the first step on a new career path, for which I have studied really hard. I was so pleased. I now have a clear DBS and the convictions are spent (it felt so good not having to 'tick the box'). 
However, these days employers add rather sneaky, 'catch-all' clauses like: "The information in this application form is true and complete. I agree that any deliberate omission, falsification or misrepresentation in the application form will be grounds for rejecting this application or subsequent dismissal if employed by the organisation." I want a fresh start, I want to work and contribute to society once again. My convictions are spent; the SOPO is gone and I did nothing wrong that resulted being unfairly dismissed from my previous role. Yet I know if I did mention my SO status, or being dismissed to my now new employer, regardless of whether my convictions are spent or not, they would never have offered me the job in the first place! But what else can I do? Legally I am not in the wrong but technically have I 'deliberately omitted or misrepresented' my situation and so deserve the consequences? Let me know what you think...
RM

no brainer just sign and move on, you have all the rationale you state to explain why you did it in the very unlikely event its ever spotted and raised with you
just don't f*ck up again, ie no recidivism and good luck !

Outsourced
Outsourced
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)

Application of the law is the same. If your employer wants to recognise the law on convictions they must equally apply the ROA. The law is not a pick n mix for the ones you like. The GDPA also brings a big stick to ensure that they dont use the application form data for any other use. 
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

Hello
RM

Great news about the career change and new job. Tenacity pays!
Society deems that you pay your dues by way of a sentence and rehabilitation period.  They're paid and you're entitled to move on.
The only 'moral' aspect is if the job was placing you in temptation's way and you weren't totally convinced that you had indeed moved on.  I suspect that isn't the case for either you as a individual or for the role so look forward, make it a success and be an advocate for 'rehabilitation works' as best you can
Derek Arnold
Derek Arnold
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)

Hello
RM

All you can do is act in line with the legislation at the time of the application. If you are not legally required to disclose, then that should be your guide. If anyone tried to live their lives by 'technicalities' we'd be locked in stasis not knowing which technicality to apply to any given situation. You are being honest and truthful, you are NOT omitting something which is required to be disclosed so you are technically doing nothing wrong. Any potential repercussions in the far, distant future will be emotive rather than legal or technical and there is no way you can plan for the emotions of other people.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Diogenese - 30 Apr 18 10:55 AM
Hello
RM

All you can do is act in line with the legislation at the time of the application. If you are not legally required to disclose, then that should be your guide. If anyone tried to live their lives by 'technicalities' we'd be locked in stasis not knowing which technicality to apply to any given situation. You are being honest and truthful, you are NOT omitting something which is required to be disclosed so you are technically doing nothing wrong. Any potential repercussions in the far, distant future will be emotive rather than legal or technical and there is no way you can plan for the emotions of other people.

I agree with all these replies, and I don't see it as a moral dilemma for you. Tell them what they have a right to know, and nothing else. They have the moral dilemma if they want to act on information that they have no right to know.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

jcocteau
jcocteau
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)

[Post removed by moderator 25/09/2020] suspected spam
Edited
4 Years Ago by Moderator
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)

Hello
RM

Would love to know what happened with the original poster, if you're still here RunningMan, how are you getting on? It'd be good to hear about life after orders...

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Mr W - 25 Sep 20 2:33 PM
Hello
RM

Would love to know what happened with the original poster, if you're still here RunningMan, how are you getting on? It'd be good to hear about life after orders...

According to his profile, he hasn't logged in for 2 months, so he might be around. No need for him to log in just to read the Forum, except for certain sections.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

GO