theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Trump's court nominee

Trump's court nominee

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
BenS - 26 Sep 18 9:43 AM
Fully agree that he is innocent unless proven otherwise.

But I think these allegations are far more significant than usual because of who he is - Kavanagh is against women's bodily autonomy and Roe v Wade.

He is against women's bodily autonomy, and his alleged actions against the increasing number of accusers reflect that. I'm almost surprised he didn't try to argue that he was acting out of principle and just say "So what?".

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)

BenS - 26 Sep 18 9:43 AM

But I think these allegations are far more significant than usual because of who he is - Kavanagh is against women's bodily autonomy and Roe v Wade.

Which is why he is Trump's pick of course - appealing to the conservative christian heartland of his support..
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)

Yankee - 24 Sep 18 3:56 PM
Interesting to get people's opinions on the current controversy around Trump's nomination for the Supreme Court in the US, Brett Kavanaugh.

Without diminishing his (alleged) actions and their effects on the women involved, being harassed for things that he may have done when he was 17 and over 35 years ago seems very harsh.

Obviously you want your top judges to be of sound character, but I'm sure there is no such thing as a 'whiter than white' person out there.  I remember a fellow student having to expose himself in a pub as  part of a rugby club initiative and he is now a very senior QC ... we all do things when we are younger of which we probably aren't proud with hindsight but should be able to move on after 35 years???

The Americans like to portray themselves as good, God-fearing folk. In the Bible, it says "Judge not, lest you be judged yourself". We should apply the same standards as we would like to have applied to us. As the guy is a judge, he would have to take this sort of stuff into account.... BTW, nothing has been proved against him, so he should currently be treated as innocent, although this is the sort of case the police over here would publicise, in case other victims want to come forward.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)

Interesting to get people's opinions on the current controversy around Trump's nomination for the Supreme Court in the US, Brett Kavanaugh.

Without diminishing his (alleged) actions and their effects on the women involved, being harassed for things that he may have done when he was 17 and over 35 years ago seems very harsh.

Obviously you want your top judges to be of sound character, but I'm sure there is no such thing as a 'whiter than white' person out there.  I remember a fellow student having to expose himself in a pub as  part of a rugby club initiative and he is now a very senior QC ... we all do things when we are younger of which we probably aren't proud with hindsight but should be able to move on after 35 years???
GO