theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

"I have no brother"

"I have no brother"

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Richie - 8 Apr 23 12:52 PM
punter99 - 5 Apr 23 5:33 PM
The media reaction to this case was very unexpected. A lot of the newspapers who absolutely hate SO, were extremely critical of Philip Schofield, for disowning his brother.

We know that the view of the press, is that SO are inhuman monsters, being pure evil and incapable of rehabilitation, so you would have thought their advice to Philip Schofield, would be to have nothing to do with his brother anymore. But it wasn't.

A lot of the commentators, who regularly call for SO to receive the most brutal punishments possible, came out and said that they would never disown a family member, 'no matter what they had done', because blood is thicker than water etc.

I think it shows how, when an SO is somebody that you know, rather than a stranger, then people do see them differently. In other words, they see the person, rather than just the offence.

If you dehumanise somebody, then it is easier to treat them as a monster, but when they are humanised, it is much more difficult. There is a lesson in there for the media, but will they now learn from this and cover these stories differently in future?

I doubt the media will ever behave any differently. The treatment of SO's by newspapers is absolutely terrible but it is done so people buy newspapers and more commonly now click on articles. 

I wish there was a law so that newspapers could only report the facts of a case rather than using terms such as pervert, sicko etc etc. I think that would help a lot for SO's to be less targeted.

With him disowning his brother this is the initial reaction of some people. Given time he maybe able to come to terms with it.

I was in prison with a lifer who had a famous brother who came to visit and nothing has been reported in the press about it so he may well end up visiting his brother in prison at some point once the initial pain and newspaper articles back down. I doubt any newspaper will report this and if they do will people really be interested? I really do think it was a gut reaction to keep his career intact.

The click bait headlines are there to see all the time. When they were talking about tagging driving licences and passports to track name changes one newspaper run the headline 'Calls for Sex Offenders To Be Tagged' which means something totally different to the article.

Hi
 was a law so that newspapers could only report the facts of a case rather than

I am afraid until the Police and MP's stop using the langauge the newspapers will just use "freedom of speech" or something else.

It is interesting how many people use the term "P" for SO's when actually the age of the victim is out of that age bracket; but its just another "label" used by the uneducated or those seeking to promote their own agenda!!!
Re him visiting his brother I am afraid I feel there is little chance of this as some of my friends would not because they think the media is always sat outside a prison or think the officers will inform the media of the visit.

Time will tell.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Richie
Richie
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
punter99 - 5 Apr 23 5:33 PM
The media reaction to this case was very unexpected. A lot of the newspapers who absolutely hate SO, were extremely critical of Philip Schofield, for disowning his brother.

We know that the view of the press, is that SO are inhuman monsters, being pure evil and incapable of rehabilitation, so you would have thought their advice to Philip Schofield, would be to have nothing to do with his brother anymore. But it wasn't.

A lot of the commentators, who regularly call for SO to receive the most brutal punishments possible, came out and said that they would never disown a family member, 'no matter what they had done', because blood is thicker than water etc.

I think it shows how, when an SO is somebody that you know, rather than a stranger, then people do see them differently. In other words, they see the person, rather than just the offence.

If you dehumanise somebody, then it is easier to treat them as a monster, but when they are humanised, it is much more difficult. There is a lesson in there for the media, but will they now learn from this and cover these stories differently in future?

I doubt the media will ever behave any differently. The treatment of SO's by newspapers is absolutely terrible but it is done so people buy newspapers and more commonly now click on articles. 

I wish there was a law so that newspapers could only report the facts of a case rather than using terms such as pervert, sicko etc etc. I think that would help a lot for SO's to be less targeted.

With him disowning his brother this is the initial reaction of some people. Given time he maybe able to come to terms with it.

I was in prison with a lifer who had a famous brother who came to visit and nothing has been reported in the press about it so he may well end up visiting his brother in prison at some point once the initial pain and newspaper articles back down. I doubt any newspaper will report this and if they do will people really be interested? I really do think it was a gut reaction to keep his career intact.

The click bait headlines are there to see all the time. When they were talking about tagging driving licences and passports to track name changes one newspaper run the headline 'Calls for Sex Offenders To Be Tagged' which means something totally different to the article.

Edited
Last Year by Richie
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi
I do think this is a case that can frequently happen; that is society is confused by what they think and know.
PS thought he would loose his career etc and the media would support him but forgot how fickle the media is who will always look at making themselves the righteous.

Personally he showed his character by the manner he "broke in" to see the Queen's coffin rather than queue like all others.

There is many things he has done and probably will do to try and gain public sympathy so in my opinion the brother should be relieved he has shown his true colors.

My brother after discussing my offence after my arrest was concerned his friends would find out and so have a negative affect on his "social" circle. His wife was worse and didn't want his children to find out.

In the end I told him we should "part" as I didn't want him to be more than a victim than he was by knowing and his wife's reactions.

In the end I would rather have one good friend than have every human being as a friend.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

To be fair, I don't blame Schofield.

I was clear that if friends/family wanted to have a personal chat with me then I would. I wasn't going to do it via email/WhatsApp.

I respect those who wanted nothing more to do with me, and thankful to those who did.
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)

Blue Moon - 5 Apr 23 9:06 PM
Hi Punter

Nice to chat to you again Smile

So with this one i think it's purely for the press. Philip Schofield is such a public figure that it makes an ordinery case a public spectical. His manager probably told him to make that statement so he could keep his image in tact

However i do agree somewhat. I'm very fortunate that my close family is supportive of me however i have always given friends and family the choice. I'll explain my circumstances, tell them that this is something that is never going to happen again, explain how I'm bettering myself and tell them they can either be involved in supporting me or can take a step away and i will be fine with that.

Hope you're keeping well in yourself Mate, nice to see you keeping this forum alive with interesting topics Smile sure it helps keep us all distracted from all the crap we deal with day to day BigGrin 

Thanks and you're right that this is a story for the press to get themselves all upset about. If Philip Schofield had said he was standing by his brother, then no doubt the media would have been criticising him for that too.
Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (888 reputation)Supreme Being (888 reputation)Supreme Being (888 reputation)Supreme Being (888 reputation)Supreme Being (888 reputation)Supreme Being (888 reputation)Supreme Being (888 reputation)Supreme Being (888 reputation)Supreme Being (888 reputation)

Hi Punter

Nice to chat to you again Smile

So with this one i think it's purely for the press. Philip Schofield is such a public figure that it makes an ordinery case a public spectical. His manager probably told him to make that statement so he could keep his image in tact

However i do agree somewhat. I'm very fortunate that my close family is supportive of me however i have always given friends and family the choice. I'll explain my circumstances, tell them that this is something that is never going to happen again, explain how I'm bettering myself and tell them they can either be involved in supporting me or can take a step away and i will be fine with that.

Hope you're keeping well in yourself Mate, nice to see you keeping this forum alive with interesting topics Smile sure it helps keep us all distracted from all the crap we deal with day to day BigGrin 

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)

GO