theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Petition to change to UK's harsh system of minor offence records data retention

Petition to change to UK's harsh system of minor offence records data...

Author
Bman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
marcovanba - 26 Mar 24 11:44 AM
I agree the current system is nonsense, especially for those looking to relocate

I am in a similar position as my offence wont be stepped down for another 35 years or something ridiculous (2 year suspended sentence) even though the judges comments were favourable etc

the arco system is draconian.... but that's the uk for you

khafka - 26 Mar 24 11:32 AM
What I'd advise is using the UK government petition system as opposed to Change.org.

The reason being that once it reaches a certain amount of signatures the petition has to be discussed in parliament by law. So there's a much higher chance of it being looked at by people that can actually make the change.

As Change.org is a 3rd party organisation the UK parliament is under no obligation to even look at it, let alone discuss it.

If you scroll down you can see the option to start your own: https://petition.parliament.uk/

Hey guys, I am so glad to have people agree with me. I was thinking of using Change.org to see the response first then I will start a petition on the parliament website, the reason being is that the parliament website will only allow the petition to run for 6 months, and if I want to get some real momentum going to get over 100,000 votes, there is a lot to do before we launch a petition on the parliament website. Of course, then it will become a full campaign and it might be too much for me alone but I think this will be better than just throwing a petition on the parliament website and having it shot down by some official response. I will do my absolute best to get this discussed in the parliament.
marcovanba
marcovanba
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)

I agree the current system is nonsense, especially for those looking to relocate

I am in a similar position as my offence wont be stepped down for another 35 years or something ridiculous (2 year suspended sentence) even though the judges comments were favourable etc

the arco system is draconian.... but that's the uk for you

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)

What I'd advise is using the UK government petition system as opposed to Change.org.

The reason being that once it reaches a certain amount of signatures the petition has to be discussed in parliament by law. So there's a much higher chance of it being looked at by people that can actually make the change.

As Change.org is a 3rd party organisation the UK parliament is under no obligation to even look at it, let alone discuss it.

If you scroll down you can see the option to start your own: https://petition.parliament.uk/

Edited
2 Months Ago by khafka
Bman
Bman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)

Hi guys,  a quick story about myself and why I want to do this petition. When I was 19 I received a caution of possession of 0.3g of cannabis residue. At first, I wasn't paying much attention to it until recent years, when I met my fiancé who is American and our plan of moving to America has come to a complete stop. Not only my caution has affected my personal life, it has also made an impact on my career, I have worked from the bottom and became the youngest management in the history of my company and I had a very exciting opportunity to move to the US to support their marketing team however that plan is also currently on hold due to my caution.

The goal of this petition is to change the current system of offense record data retention. 

Support me here:  change.org

With over 12 million people in the UK who held a criminal record in 2022. Many have accepted a police caution in the past after being told by the police that it isn't the same as a criminal conviction and it won't appear on their criminal record, only to find many years later that it appears on their Acro and advanced criminal record checks affecting their ability to work, travel and immigrate.None of us should be judged by the actions of our weakest moments, but rather by the strength we show when and if we're given a second chance. 

Suggestion 
Police services keep the current rule of keeping conviction details on record until the offender turns 100, only for their own record. However, the record will not show on any background check such as DBS, Advanced DNS and Acro police report.

Or

police services should drop the current rule of keeping conviction details on record until the offender turns 100. Those found guilty of shoplifting, drug possession or other minor crimes would be removed from the Police National Computer (PNC) database after 6 - 10 years.

Or

Update the current Acro step-down module on minor crimes and remove "No live trace"/ "No further action" on the Acro police report as it still passively suggests a criminal history, preventing people from moving on with their lives.

Support me here: Change.org

Edited
2 Months Ago by Bman
GO