theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

co-op

co-op

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi forever changes,

Thanks for flagging this. This is pretty poor practice on the Co-op's behalf as they should know better - we're going to see what we can do to sort this.

Chris

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)

just discovered I can't get online quote any more because in assumptions it says "You or anyone living with you have never been convicted of any criminal offence (other than motoring offences) and do not have any prosecutions pending". NEVER!
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)

Hi All

Absolutely right - no need to disclose spent convictions to insurance companies even if they word the question in such a way as to make you feel you should. They have no legal right to know about anything thats spent.

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)

Hi All

I did contact the Co-Op about the points raised by forever changes. They acknowledged that the question was extremely confusing. They confirmed that they were in the process of redesigning their website and would be removing the assumption section and replacing it with some questions around 'unspent' convictions.

Whilst the redesign was being carried out they agreed to add an FAQ with some clear guidance around the ROA.

Sorry - I should have let you have an update.

Deb

marko1973
marko1973
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (232 reputation)Supreme Being (232 reputation)Supreme Being (232 reputation)Supreme Being (232 reputation)Supreme Being (232 reputation)Supreme Being (232 reputation)Supreme Being (232 reputation)Supreme Being (232 reputation)Supreme Being (232 reputation)

Hi unlock,did you contact co op and what was the outcome of the above issue
BT
BT
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)

I thought that too Ben, I thought you don't have to advise of any spent conviction otherwise what's the point in having a conviction spent? I'm sure when using Co-op over the phone for insurance they didn't ask for spent convictions, but that was a couple of years ago & not using them now
doug
doug
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Ben S. I agree with you. Why does having a conviction mean you are more likely to have a motor accident. The answer is it doesn't. However it is a way to mark up someone's premium. As Ben S said being untrustworthy doesn't make you a bad driver and it is not restricted to people with convictions. Obviously insurers need to know about certain convictions and I feel that should be restricted to motoring offences, as if you are a bad driver, then maybe your premiums should be higher. However for example, how does a Theft Shoplifting conviction make you a bad driver. It Doesn't, so why do you have to pay more. I feel insurers should be brought to task over this, particularly from the ombudsman or government. However no one wants to be seen to be soft of people with convictions. It's not about being soft, it's about being fair. That's all I ask is to be treated fairly and I am sure any sensible person would say, that people with convictions are not treated fairly when it comes to obtaining insurance.
CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)

I will not use any insurance company that asks [whether spent or not]. Not all companies do ask. LV do not (any conviction more than 5 years old spent or not) and neither does Aviva so it begs the question why others do. I have heard that some companies sell the info to market research companies who then sell it on to third parties but I am not sure about this. Either way I feel it is wrong for them to discriminate. My conviction has nothing to do with car insurance or house insurance for that matter.

I did anonymously ask Aviva prior to using them and they confirmed that "such information was not relevant to my quote" so therefore they don't ask or want to know (see my previous post). I also confirmed the same over my house insurance which is competitively priced.

If some big insurers can offer insurance without asking then why do others insist on doing so, it can only be discrimination or selling on of information either way I wouldn't use them. I have 2 cars and a house insured with companies who don't discriminate. The ones that do, well that's their loss.

Question for Unlock, why do the big insurers who will offer cover not appear on your list of Insurers, shouldn't you be promoting the likes of LV, More Than and Aviva? LV especially as any criminal offence more than 5 years old is not counted for insurance. Some of the companies on your list wont offer cover for certain offences which I think is highly discriminatory. The very thing unlock is against ?

Post Edited (CC) : 03/03/2016 00:11:58 (GMT+1)

CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)Supreme Being (9.8K reputation)

I would caution against online quotes as they all data share so your telling everyone. Go direct and ask before you get into the quote "before we get into the quote can you offer cover with an historic (non motoring) criminal offence"? I have done this a lot and it works for me.

Not all but some will answer this question before taking you info. Then some cover anyway, LV more than 5 years old doesn't count, More Than, not interested,
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

Aren't they breaking the ROA by discriminating like that? Surely an insurance policy can't be one of the exemption where they can ask about spent convictions? Correct me anyone if I'm wrong.
GO