theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Insurance success

Insurance success

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
That's brilliant to hear BlueAngel - thank you!

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)

Thanks for the info, remember there are insurers (for personal car insurance at least) who don't consider non-motoring convictions when providing their service (LV / Admiral plus others im sure).
caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)

No they don't. I have just gone through the full quote process to double check.

They ask for non-motoring convictions as follows;

Do you have any motoring offences in the last five years, including fixed penalties, convictions, driver awareness course or disqualifications or have any pending prosecution?

Furthermore, their T&C's state there following:

We may also collect information defined as "sensitive data" within the Data Protection Act 1998. This includes:

Medicalhistory
Claims history
Criminal convictions etc.

However, this is not asked for during the quote process, nor when taking up the insurance. Remember they must specifically ask for the details as the onus is on them to establish all material facts.

Of course, if you know of information contrary to this, please let us know where it is found.
caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being

Recently rejected a re-newal from Admiral myself but didn't see anything regarding convictions. I switched to LV after advise on here and due to the massive price difference...
stupat78
stupat78
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)

Must have changed recently, I went through the process of renewing with them after my car was written off by a 3rd party and they asked about non-motoring convictions. They never asked when I first took out the policy or on subsequent renewals. I renewed but cancelled and went to LV.
stupat78
stupat78
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)Supreme Being (472 reputation)

Admiral ask you to declare convictions.
BlueAngel
BlueAngel
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (518 reputation)Supreme Being (518 reputation)Supreme Being (518 reputation)Supreme Being (518 reputation)Supreme Being (518 reputation)Supreme Being (518 reputation)Supreme Being (518 reputation)Supreme Being (518 reputation)Supreme Being (518 reputation)

Hi there,I am new to this site and want to thank UNLOCK for their excellent information, things I wasnt aware of when I unfortunately was convicted.

I went into a state of panic regarding not having valid insurance as until I came on here I was unaware. I went onto the register of insurers on this site and am so pleased to say I am now legally covered for car and landlord insurance.

Through Adrian Flux and SIS they were so accommodating and non judgmental. I was also expecting high premiums but my car was £80 more and Landlords insurance £49 more.

I've had my down times where I know that my punishment didnt end the day I walked out of a six week custodial sentence. I know we will be punished maybe for life......but this has given me a more positive outlook to think I can be treated normally and without judgement.

Thanks again UNLOCK

Dont give up.... :p
Simon3312
Simon3312
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (194 reputation)Supreme Being (194 reputation)Supreme Being (194 reputation)Supreme Being (194 reputation)Supreme Being (194 reputation)Supreme Being (194 reputation)Supreme Being (194 reputation)Supreme Being (194 reputation)Supreme Being (194 reputation)

After I was convicted I received three quotes for Landlords Insurance. They were all 3 times the previous (pre-conviction) premium! Through Unlock and my therapist I then contacted SIS from the Unlock list and actually achieved a SAVING over last year.

SIS quoted me for their policy within about 3 hours; others took 2-4 days.

Thank you Unlock and SIS.
GO