theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Non EU citizen traveling to US with UK penalty notice and caution

Non EU citizen traveling to US with UK penalty notice and caution

Author
Dani
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I was student in the UK 2 years ago, in a very deep depression, under medication, I was very desperate and thought I worth nothing, i was caught shoplifting and taken to the police station twice, they gave me a penalty notice and then a simple caution. but now I am back on my feet, I found a job with a big american company in morocco and they have decided to send me on a training for two weeks in the US. I don't know what to do, on the visa questionnaire it says 'have you ever been arrested or convicted.. ?'.

is a caution and penalty notice considered as an arrest, shall I tick yes anyways and disclose it ?what are my chances ?..
if I decide not to disclose my record, I red that US embassies do not have access to UK police data, but I am planning to go back to UK too for a visit later, I need to disclose my record to the UK embassy for sure. what if embassies share data, then I ll be in trouble with the US embassy..

please help, I am sleepless ever since my boss told me that I'll be going on training to the US.

thanks
Dani
Dani
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)

thanks a lot for your replies.

Hi Deb S,

The thing is, I am a Tunisian citizen who used to live in the UK for studies, and now moved to morocco 2 years ago for work. I don't have a British passport, and If I want to go to the US I need to apply for non immigrant visa and complete a form called DS-160, in this form there is a question "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action"

my concern is, I can't answer "no" to this question since the British embassy know about my criminal record in the UK. and I think embassies share information, but I don't I don't know to what extent.
please check the link below it says embassies share data. do you know about anyone who has been trough the same situation, please share it with me. thanks in advance

https://lawquestinternational.com/article/immigration-data-shared-between-nations
Dani
Dani
Supreme Being

thanks BenS
so your advise is anything but disclose about my criminal record. you think that with a penalty notice and a caution I have no chance ? I have no other criminal record in my country or morocco...
Dani
Dani
Supreme Being

No they don't ask for a police certificate, I am sure. But yesterday I requested online for an ACRO certificate in case I decide to disclose my CR..

Are you a British citizen, this makes thinks really easy. I need a visa for every single country I need to go to, and if one day I apply for a UK visa again, then I'll have to disclose my CR for sure and if embassies share information I'll be in a double trouble (CR+ lying) .. it's more risky for me given my nationality.. let alone if I find a job in Europe or US in the future.. such a hard decision to make..

really thank you for your advice, it's priceless, I can't tell anyone about this (family or friends) so your advice and words are helping a lot..
GO