theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Has anyone actually changed their name?

Has anyone actually changed their name?

Author
NigelV2
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I've recently changed my name using a statutory declaration - costing a total of £5. Hardest part is now to rebuild my life.
I want to start looking for a job, but waiting for some paperwork (bills etc.) in my new name - not sure exactly what I need for agencies etc. It is something that I'm unsure about - what do I need for ID etc.
NigelV2
NigelV2
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)

OK, thanks. I'm waiting to sort out my driving licence, so probably put my plans on hold till I can get that sorted.
Hola
Hola
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Recruitment agencies in my experience typically ask for a photo id, ie passport or driving licence as well as a utility bill, council tax etc as proof of residence. They need proof you can work in the UK without a visa. Maybe a birth certificate would do it but I guess that would be in your original name so no use ?
Sepia
Sepia
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (406 reputation)Supreme Being (406 reputation)Supreme Being (406 reputation)Supreme Being (406 reputation)Supreme Being (406 reputation)Supreme Being (406 reputation)Supreme Being (406 reputation)Supreme Being (406 reputation)Supreme Being (406 reputation)

I believe I will soon be charged and prosecuted for a financial crime. I can accept the punishment, which I expect not to be custodial. What absolutely appalls and terrifies me is the press reporting, which I believe will be considerable. I have two questions I would be grateful if anyone can help me with.

Is it possible to change your name by deedpoll prior to being charged so you can be charged under a new name? Would this name only be reported in the press?

My solicitor has suggested he might be able to have a word with court reporters, with whom he has a working relationship, and they may not report the case. How likely is this scenario?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)

BenS - 5 Aug 15 6:55 PM
We see mentioned on here from time to time the suggestion to change your name to get rid of the Google effect and move on with your life.

Has anyone actually gone through with this?

I have a very rare surname (less than 50 people in the UK have it) so am extremely easy to Google. I'm not considering it as I'm doing OK at the moment but just curious as to whether anyone has actually done this and how it felt afterwards.

I changed the spelling of my name from Iain to Ian. Worked wonders as most  people default to Ian anyway.

It cured my Google effect entirely. From position 1 to position 100.

You still find me if you type "Iain X jailed" though. But the remainder of the article is vague enough that I can just lie and say it's my namesake, who lives near me because Iain is a Scottish spelling and Scotland is small.

It even worked. With an American colleague who was no fool

Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)

link - 27 Nov 10 7:09 PM
Sepia, sorry to be the doom mongerer but...

If you change your name they will just refer to you as Mr X, formerly Mr Y etc. What gets reported in the press depends on what information the police release and what gets mentioned in court, solicitors can have a quiet word with the prosecutor to avoid some things being discussed but don't hold your breath that they will, it's very informal and once the cat's out the bag there is nothing you can do about it...

As for your solicitor talking to the press that sounds absurd, they are either pulling your leg or setting you up for a fall, basically your only hope is that there are no court reporters on the day, and that's just down to luck, if there's a particularly juicy trial going on that day you might be lucky... But again don't hold your breath!

They should only discuss things in court relevant to the case, but your defiantly going to tell them your name, date of birth, and address.

My advice having been slapped across the local rag:

1.) Clean up your online profile; deactivate facebook, twitter and delete and personal photos or private information etc.

2.) Get your affairs in order; rent, bills, insurance, etc.

3.) If your going to change name/address do it now and do it quick!

4.) Prepare for the worst, if there are people in your life you need to tell do it before the papers do it for you, no article is ever 100% true and it will no doubt be made out to be worse than it is to sell more papers!

5.) On every court appearance be prepared for sneaky reporters and photographer's... The clever ones keep a distance and snap you with a big fat zoom lens, the a***holes will stick a camera in your face and chase you all over, some kind of disguise is never a bad option; burka, hat, glasses, scarf, an umbrella... A getaway car or taxi waiting outside to jump straight into etc.

I know this probably sounds a bit extreme for a financial crime but it's good advice for anyone facing a higher profile conviction, I know it's a horrible position to be in and I wish I could say today's news is tomorrow's fish and chip paper but the Internet has a habit of dragging up the past.

Yes but if you change your name before being charged, you would not need be 'formerly' anything would you?

GO