theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Reactive management

Reactive management

Author
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
MA1 - 26 Sep 22 10:31 PM
I have never experienced anything that you guys have and I always see advice on here regarding your PPU and being open and honest with them. Which no doubt is good advice in most situations. 

But if it isn't part of your SHPO why do you need to tell them anything? Isn't it always best to keep your cards close to your chest and not say anything like you would generally do with the police? I'm not advocating for someone to lie but repeatedly it has been said that the SOR is not a punishment. However all of these extra conditions that appear out of thin air and are imposed selectively surely mean that this is the case. 

Yes, there is no obligation to tell the PPU anything at all. The comments on another recent thread, about how the PPU want us to "get out more", but then restrict where we can go and what we can do, highlight how the risk management process is often contradicting itself. The courts in R v Smith were clear, that an SHPO should be easy for the SO to understand and easy for the police to enforce. But since each PPU can add their own interpretation, there are many grey areas, which we discuss regularly on this forum. 

In an ideal world, there would be a simple process to clarify mis-understandings and correct inaccurate information. In the real world, it might require going back to court and getting the judge who issued the SHPO, to clarify its meaning.  

Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
punter99 - 1 Oct 22 11:44 AM
In an ideal world, there would be a simple process to clarify mis-understandings and correct inaccurate information. In the real world, it might require going back to court and getting the judge who issued the SHPO, to clarify its meaning.  

Mine would have been a little tricky to get the same judge to clarify it. It was his last day and after a few cases of sentencing (I wasn't his last case) he retired!
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
AB2014 - 30 Sep 22 3:05 PM
JASB - 30 Sep 22 1:07 PM
However one comment I learnt from my early military days (pre mass computers)
feed something crap and all you will get in return is crap

From my student days, I seem to remember that the engineering equivalent saying is:

Garbage In, Garbage Out

So, if you ever see GIGO anywhere, that's what it means.

Agree there is many forms of stating that; not all are polite Smile

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO