theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

UCAS Help

UCAS Help

Author
Bryan
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I'm thinking of going to a 'brick' uni to study Law. Now, do I need to declare convictions since it will only be a degree?

Surely just to study the subject only a Basic could be done?

After all I do Law via the OU and no check was required!

Plan: Get the English LLB then do the 2 years graduate entry for the Scottish LLB. As I have the advantage of a clear Basic in the near future I think I stand a good chance of a decent job. My head in the clouds here?

I will be around 34 on getting the above two. Would also love to get the Msc in Forensic Psychology and Criminology.

Have no idea what job to aim for. I also don't want to cut out jobs as over qualified!! Danger I think of education, could in turn cut jobs out.

Need direction and have no idea. Something needs to change or I will be in a early grave!

My grammar is borderline I was told which holds me back in a way. School was a bad time due to various issues.

Post Edited (Bryan) : 13/09/2011 20:12:03 (GMT+1)

Bryan
Bryan
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

What did you do? Chris do you know the answer?
Bryan
Bryan
Supreme Being

Hi, Thank you for all your replys.

I've made contact with various universities to ask the policy on unspent and spent convictions. Shall post the response in due cource.

I have no intention of working with vulnerable people therefore resulting in a Enhanced check. Nor have I any intrest in doing work that comes under the heading of the Standard check. Having discussed my convictions they would NOT stop me becoming a Lawyer if I desired to be. That based on no re-offending! At the moment no real desire but you never know in a few years. Been three years since I was last in court as the accused and have every desire to maintain that.

As of Januaray 2013 I will have a clean Basic which is of major relief to attain employment in the future. I think and have been told having a Law degree will do me good esp if I have both the Scottish and English LLB.

I have got out my head that ALL well paid jobs intail either a Standard or Enhanced check. Why did I have this set within my head? No idea to be frank!

I've came across the LLB being able to be done online however the Scottish Govt only offer £500.00 towards the cost. So I will need to keep going on the same road ie OU untill I attain the English LLB. That way I can use it to access the Scottish LLB and fingers crossed have saved to do it online.

There is no access cources in the locality provided by the colleges.

If I had stayed at school rather than enter the big bad world at 16 I could have attained Highes aka 'A' Levels. Therefore resulting in the ability to go straight to a brick uni. However the OU is a God send to people like myself.
Bryan
Bryan
Supreme Being

Attached document talks about convictions. It appears to me as my offences did not involve jail or a fine above £1000 I don't need to declare. I can also see no legal ground for the uni to get a Standard check or indeed an Enhanced. The Law Society does ask for a Standard but that is nothing to do with studying for a Law degree.

So for the moment I can see no reason why I should declare spent convictions.

Post Edited (Bryan) : 21/09/2011 22:37:04 (GMT+1)

Hailzes
Hailzes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (408 reputation)Supreme Being (408 reputation)Supreme Being (408 reputation)Supreme Being (408 reputation)Supreme Being (408 reputation)Supreme Being (408 reputation)Supreme Being (408 reputation)Supreme Being (408 reputation)Supreme Being (408 reputation)

Before I started my open Uni degree I applied through UCAS and had to declare my offence. I met with the Dean of my chosen Uni and he was incredibly supportive and helpful. It didn't personally hinder me. My offence is manslaughter and at the time I was still on parole.
Hope that helps
Bonbon
Bonbon
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)

Hi Bryan,

After serving three years for GBH I went to a sixth form college followed by a uni to study law. At no point was my offence an issue. And they never required a CRB check.

Cheers
Bonbon
Bonbon
Bonbon
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)

Hi Andy - yes indeed, quite probably. And certainly when trying to get a training contract it would become very difficult.
GO