theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Police saying restraining order lasts longer that it actually does

Police saying restraining order lasts longer that it actually does

Author
BT
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Absolutely - I was told by the police that an order lasted 3 years longer than any of the paperwork I had from court. I queried it again with them & they told me not aggressively, but certainly not politely, that they were right & to ignore anything I had. So I decided to wait until nearer the time before going through my solicitors because from a tentative chat I was quoted around £700 just to review this, & there wasn't a desperate rush to do it til the end of the period.

But in the meantime the police personal changed, & my first contact with the new person was a very polite admittance that they were wrong, & could I pop in to sign the paperwork so they could confirm the correct period.

So, yes it does happen. But in your case, no way would I just ignore their advice. If the area involved is one that is a pain not being able to go near (as in it's on the way to the shops or whatever, rather than somewhere that avoiding is no hardship) politely ask them to confirm where they got the 4 years from, ideally showing you the correspondence as you can check who is wrong here - could be they were given the wrong data from court, the period may have been altered at the last minute or if you have made a mistake, better to find out this way than the hard way. But get something in writing & stamped though
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)

Hi BT,

Thanks for your reply, it's interesting to see the differing attitudes of police staff.

My order causes me some inconvenience with regard to me being self-employed and having some clients being entirely off limits for personal visits due to them living within the banned area. It's not the end of the world but I have had to do some creative lying to explain why I can't do a home visit when it would be more mutually convenient.

I haven't yet replied to the police officer's claim. I think I will take my documents to show them and if they ignore or say it's wrong, I will have a free half-hour session with a solicitor to see where I stand and what the cost would be to pursue it. Although I would prefer to avoid going to court to challenge it due to potential media coverage - I was lucky that my case wasn't covered at all and I would definitely lose business if it was made public.

Thanks again for the reply and sharing your experience and thoughts :-)
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)Supreme Being (43K reputation)

Hello all,

My question kind of didn't fit in any of the forum topics as it's a legal/police matter, but hopefully someone might be able to help.

I got a restraining order after doing something silly after a break-up. It prevents me from going to a certain part of my local area.

The order lasted for 2 years, and this period has now ended.

I mentioned in passing to a police officer I deal with how I was looking forward to having the order taken away and being able to go about my daily life again without worrying about where I can and can't go.

The officer then said that the order is actually for 4 years, not 2. This is wrong, and I have checked all the documentation I got given after getting the sentence, which all says it is for 2 years.

If I ignore the police's advice and go into this area where I was until recently banned from, I'm worried that they will say I'm breaching the order and will be further punished. But the documents clearly say 2 years and that time has now passed. What can I do, has anyone else been in this situation where the police say their records are different from what the judge actually decided?

Many thanks for any tips.
Ben
GO