theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

employment

employment

Author
phild
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
i was given a 12 month sentence back in 2011 for sexual assault since then i have been unable to find work i get different advice from police job center papwoth trust and probation (no longer on probation) as to what kind of jobs i can do some say i can work in a shop or a night porter at a hotel some say i cant because under 18s will be there and its best i just go for working nights in a warehouse where there will be no under 18s any one got any ideas what sort of jobs give the best chance
phild
phild
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)Supreme Being (660 reputation)

thanks for all the replys its been a big help
EUlaw
EUlaw
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)

I assume your offence was against under 18's and that's why they would give you the advice of not working in a place that could put you into contact with children. I assume you have a disqualification order that means you cannot work with children but this does not include working in a shop - it is only professions relating to the care, supervision and education of children. As long as you don't have an ASBO (or an equivalent order) that prevents you from working with children beyond that of the disqualification, then you can work in a shop. However, you have to bare in mind that an employer may ask about convictions, and you have to disclose unspent convictions. Even if the employer doesn't act, the police can disclose to the employ if it necessary for the protection of children. Of course, you are under no obligation to tell the police where you work, but they may find out.
rme123
rme123
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)

It might also be worth looking at the list of companies known to employ ex-offenders. Available here:

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/default.aspx?f=33&m=19727
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)

warehouses, retail outlets and stores are pretty much the main keys for jobs which tend to ask for basic criminal checks or no checks.

Sadly no one has made a proper list of named retailers or stores or companies and which policies ie basic or dbs check etc

It can't exist anyhow since each employer is different and so is each job, I know a friend in retail who is a manager for a high street shop no basic or dbs check ever ran he is still at that place for 10 years even.

Remember a jobs a job long as it brings in the money !
GO