theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Care work

Care work

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (92K reputation)Supreme Being (92K reputation)Supreme Being (92K reputation)Supreme Being (92K reputation)Supreme Being (92K reputation)Supreme Being (92K reputation)Supreme Being (92K reputation)Supreme Being (92K reputation)Supreme Being (92K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Everflex

Welcome to the Forum. You are right with regard the filtering process - in order to be eligible for filtering, there should be no more than one conviction recorded. If there is, then none of the convictions could be filtered. Thus, if you were having an Enhanced DBS check, all four convictions would be disclosed.

I agree with AJW83, your convictions would not exclude you from going into care work, the decision will rest with the employer. Knowing that your convictions will be disclosed, I would suggest that you are upfront and honest about them at interview. An employer will look at the type of convictions, whether they are relevant to the job, the age you were at the time, how long ago they were and whether there are any reasons that might explain why you committed the offences. We speak to many people who are successfully working in the care industry and, despite being anxious about disclosing their convictions, have not found that they have been held back by them.

If you need any further advice, please drop the Helpline an email or give us a ring.

Good luck

Unlock Helpline

Unlock Helpline - confidential peer advice on overcoming the effects of criminal convictions

Call: 01634 247350
Text: 07824 113848
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, Maidstone Community Support Centre, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME6 5AG

For online self-information information, visit hub.unlock.org.uk

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Mirrorman
Mirrorman
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Completely outright exclude you? No, probably not.

Likelihood of you getting a job like that? Zero.
Cutehs2
Cutehs2
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)

I've worked in care the sector before and after my conviction. Just be open and honest BigGrin
Pixie
Pixie
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (636 reputation)Supreme Being (636 reputation)Supreme Being (636 reputation)Supreme Being (636 reputation)Supreme Being (636 reputation)Supreme Being (636 reputation)Supreme Being (636 reputation)Supreme Being (636 reputation)Supreme Being (636 reputation)

Having recently gone through similar myself and finding out that they were only checking for safeguarding I would still go for it as AJW said you have nothing to lose and maybe they might overlook this 20 year old conviction
AJW83
AJW83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

No worries best of luck at the very least it should keep the jobcentre off your back if you are applying work in other areas
AJW83
AJW83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

Excluded maybe the wrong word to say not many jobs with your convictions would be a definite no it all depends on the employer, interviewer, HR that type of thing.

In regards to the convictions I am not not sure the alcohol ones may have been filtered so they might not show the ABH again im not sure depends what class of conviction it comes under for the police.

My advice email or ring the helpline with a breakdown of your convictions and roughly when they took place and ask if they could say if it would likely show on a Enhanced Disclosure, at the very least you will no longer have to disclose on any application other than those exempt from ROA.

I know people from here have got care jobs and considering the length of time since your convictions I think that will really go in your favour.
AJW83
AJW83
Supreme Being

Yeah I think you are right with the filtering, I still wouldnt count it out totally all I will say is if you are out of work you have nothing to lose.
Everflex
Everflex
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)

Hi,

First post here.

I wonder if any of you guys can give me any advice. I have 4 convictions.....none of which I served a custodial sentence for. In fact, they're all related to alcohol abuse and the most serious is for ABH. I think the last one was around 20 years ago. Anyway, I'm out of work at the moment and looking on the job center web site, thee are so many jobs in the care sector. Would my convictions exclude me from gaining employment in this area? I'm aware that there would have to be and enhanced disclosure check. What do you think?
Everflex
Everflex
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)

Thank you all.
Everflex
Everflex
Supreme Being

Thank you AJW83. But regarding the filtering of ABH, I thought that even if it was subject to filtering, the fact that I have another 3 minor convictions would make filtering an impossibility.
GO