theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Just back from Canada

Just back from Canada

Author
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
HI John,

It looks like Toronto now have the system, but only for Canadian citizens at this time:

https://www.torontopearson.com/abc/

The machines on the video are the exact same ones they have in Montreal, except citizens of any country can use them.

Vancouver has now followed suit (available for citizens of all countries): https://www.yvr.ca/en/blog/2017/new-border-process-for-arriving-passengers-at-yvr

Hopefully Toronto will bring it in for everyone soon!
Edited
6 Years Ago by BenS
Hola
Hola
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Interested in how you answered the question - have you ever been charged, committed or found guilty of a crime when applying for the ETA to get into Canada ...
Did you say yes and provide details, or just ' risk it ' and say no on the basis of your conviction being spent ? 
I want to visit and have the same dilemma, hence reason for asking
Thanks

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Hola - 2 Apr 18 9:38 AM
Interested in how you answered the question - have you ever been charged, committed or found guilty of a crime when applying for the ETA to get into Canada ...
Did you say yes and provide details, or just ' risk it ' and say no on the basis of your conviction being spent ? 
Thanks

I 'risked it' .......... ;-)
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)

BenS - 2 Apr 18 1:45 PM
Thanks

The Canadians have some information on being 'deemed rehabilitated' online here. You can ask them, although you might want to use a different name and email address, just in case, or you can assess yourself. Of course, if you just deny everything then they probably won't know about your record.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Hola
Hola
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, understand Smile

Normallife
Normallife
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)

AB2014 - 3 Apr 18 11:00 AM
Thanks

The Canadians have some information on being 'deemed rehabilitated' online here. You can ask them, although you might want to use a different name and email address, just in case, or you can assess yourself. Of course, if you just deny everything then they probably won't know about your record.

Need your advice/opinion guys. When I was convicted I naively sent an email to the US and Canadian embassies asking if I'd ever be able to travel to their countries for a holiday. The Canadian embassy replied and said I needed to be deemed rehabilitated. The US embassy didn't reply. My problem now is that I would someday like to travel to these countries but I won't want to declare my conviction. My worry is that they may have saved my details down from the single email I sent over 5 years ago. It included my offence and my first name, and how old I was at the time (didn't give date of birth). The email address I used included my full name but it also had a number with it as well. Do you think it's likely the US and Canadian embassies would have saved those details down onto their system? Or is the email I sent too unreliable? Considering there's probably loads of people with my name. What do you guys think? 
Hola
Hola
Supreme Being

Normallife - 4 Apr 18 12:58 AM
AB2014 - 3 Apr 18 11:00 AM
Thanks

Need your advice/opinion guys. When I was convicted I naively sent an email to the US and Canadian embassies asking if I'd ever be able to travel to their countries for a holiday. The Canadian embassy replied and said I needed to be deemed rehabilitated. The US embassy didn't reply. My problem now is that I would someday like to travel to these countries but I won't want to declare my conviction. My worry is that they may have saved my details down from the single email I sent over 5 years ago. It included my offence and my first name, and how old I was at the time (didn't give date of birth). The email address I used included my full name but it also had a number with it as well. Do you think it's likely the US and Canadian embassies would have saved those details down onto their system? Or is the email I sent too unreliable? Considering there's probably loads of people with my name. What do you guys think? 

I've read of many people who would risk it, esp as it was 5 years ago and you weren't completely crystal on your name.  For US follow the advice again of many and fly via Dublin as you clear customs ( or not ) in Dublin so if you're going to get refused at least you only have a short haul back.
Provided you weren't ever put on an Interpol warning when you travelled you should be fine I'd say

GO