theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Lets List Countries That Refuse Entry to people with a SOR

Lets List Countries That Refuse Entry to people with a SOR

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JASB - 19 Jul 19 11:26 AM
Hi
If you have a sex offence and declare you are going to any high risk area then the Police will stop you.

To me it has nothing to do with any evidence "against you" or "for you" it is Britain wanting to be seen as "the world's leader" against sex offenders.
They do not believe in rehabilitation, but do believe in stopping any form of social/quality of life as they believe that increases the percentage chances of you offending else creating a scenario for you to make a mistake and so can be locked up again; where they want to put all offenders but especially sex offenders.

Remember society and the politicians do not believe in rehabilitation of  sex offenders or in the term "Ex-Sex Offender.

The police don't have to believe in rehabilitation because it isn't part of their remit. They are there to prevent and detect crime, as part of safeguarding the public. Officially, probation are there for rehabilitation, so once you have finished your licence period, there is no more rehabilitation. I have said before on other threads that you can be an ex-burglar, ex-drug dealer, but not an ex-sex offender.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi
If you have a sex offence and declare you are going to any high risk area then the Police will stop you.

To me it has nothing to do with any evidence "against you" or "for you" it is Britain wanting to be seen as "the world's leader" against sex offenders.
They do not believe in rehabilitation, but do believe in stopping any form of social/quality of life as they believe that increases the percentage chances of you offending else creating a scenario for you to make a mistake and so can be locked up again; where they want to put all offenders but especially sex offenders.

Remember society and the politicians do not believe in rehabilitation of  sex offenders or in the term "Ex-Sex Offender.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Harry
Harry
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

RMUK - 6 Jun 19 2:45 PM
I am on SOR for 3 years and community supervision order for downloading related offences. I get seen by PPU once every 6 months and my MAPPA social worker monthly.

I have booked to go to Dominican Republic later this year. I have read and read online and I cannot find any sources of a UK Citizen being denied entry to Dominican Republic while on SOR.

My PPU officer seems to think it is a risk but on the other hand he think's it will be fine? His only source of information is "it's always a risk when you travel outside EU as you dont have a right to enter any non-EU country".

I have flat-out asked whether he will issue a Green Notice to Interpol, but I have not yet got a straight answer. In fact, he says that it is outwith his remit and all he does is fill in a form and send it to the "international unit" and it is them who carry out the risk assessment and make the call.

I am very much hoping that as long as a Green Notice is not issued, then I will be fine with Dominican.

I've seen someone on here be refused entry to Mexico, but Mexico are part of the US "Angel Watch"/ "Megan's Law" programme so they notify everyone.

I've attached 2 documents  I found online which explain in detail what the police processes are.

It says if you are travelling to a "high-risk" country in terms of CSE, they may send a green notice regardless of whether you are low risk or not.

Any insight of this destination would be greatly greatly appreciated!

PS. If I get refused, what are the chances that my travel insurance would cover it? Given that it is out of my control?

Please write and let us know what happened
Harry
Harry
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

BenS - 11 Jun 19 8:16 AM
[quote]
It says if you are travelling to a "high-risk" country in terms of CSE, they may send a green notice regardless of whether you are low risk or not.

I have travelled to Thailand while on the SOR. A high-risk country for CSE in anyone's book I think.

I went there for a friend's wedding. I fully notified and told my police person about the circumstances of the trip and where exactly I would be going. It was in a quiet area in the north of Thailand, far from the tourist areas in Bangkok and southern Thailand where dodgy stuff goes on. The officer didn't express any reservations when I told him, filled in the form apparently unconcerned. I didn't bother asking about a green notice as I knew he would not give a straight answer. Got in no problem, so either no green notice or poor IT on their side!

Also, thanks for those two links, they are both excellent, I hadn't come across them before. Very useful, thanks!

I have read that Thailand DOES NOT ask on a landing card about convictions. I would love to travel around Thailand again for a holiday, but scared of being refused.
Harry
Harry
Supreme Being

Monkos - 28 Aug 18 1:10 PM
Harry53 - 19 Feb 18 5:00 PM
(SOR = Sexual offenders register)
I am writing from the UK and I have a 10 year SOR.
One spin off from this is the restriction of travel. So I thought why don't we all build a listings of countries that are quite rightly protecting children from abusers. I will start the list off but please add to it. Some cojuntries are obvious but others like Japan may still ask the question which pose problems. I want to hear from anyone who has in the last year, known of any problems gaining entry to countries, or that have refused entry. 

There seems to be no listing that is up-to-date, so I thought this would be useful.

For example, I was told that Indonesia was ok to visit, but on posting on an expats forum, it seems most likely not. So here goes....countries I am 95% sure will refuse entry to anyone on the SOR:
1  THAILAND
2  INDIA
3  SRI LANKA
4  PHILIPPINES
5  MALAYSIA
6  CAMBODIA
7  INDONESIA
8  VIETNAM
9  SINGAPORE
10 USA
11 AUSTRALIA

Some countries like NEW ZEALAND ask if you have ever been refused entry to a country, which means it is best to apply for a visa and disclose details.

Please add to this list as having experienced being refused entry into the Philippines just 8 weeks after visiting, I feel it is of the utmost importance to do research before booking a flight or holiday. To be turned away is the most stressful and embarrassing experience in my entire life. Do NOT LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU.

Having been to many of those countries while on SOR I can tell you that they have no way of knowing you're on the SOR unless you tell them yourself. The only way you'd be turned away from Philippines for example is if you declared your conviction.
Well I went to the Philippines in 2017 in February, then wanted to return to see my friend and family for a birthday, and I had the biggest shock of my life when just 8 weeks later, I was refused entry. I did not tell them but someone at Interpol or the CPU made sure a Green card was issued. What bugs me is that if they intend to issue a Green card then, for Human rights only, tell the person travelling. I cannot imagine any immigration officer allowing someone in on a Green Card
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

RMUK - 12 Jun 19 1:32 PM
[quote]

I have travelled to Thailand while on the SOR. A high-risk country for CSE in anyone's book I think.

I went there for a friend's wedding. I fully notified and told my police person about the circumstances of the trip and where exactly I would be going. It was in a quiet area in the north of Thailand, far from the tourist areas in Bangkok and southern Thailand where dodgy stuff goes on. The officer didn't express any reservations when I told him, filled in the form apparently unconcerned. I didn't bother asking about a green notice as I knew he would not give a straight answer. Got in no problem, so either no green notice or poor IT on their side!

Also, thanks for those two links, they are both excellent, I hadn't come across them before. Very useful, thanks!

How long ago was this roughly?

RMUK
RMUK
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)

[quote]

How long ago was this roughly?
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

[quote]

Edited
5 Years Ago by BenS
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

RMUK - 6 Jun 19 3:47 PM
AB2014 - 6 Jun 19 3:38 PM
RMUK - 6 Jun 19 3:30 PM
AB2014 - 6 Jun 19 2:53 PM
I am on SOR for 3 years and community supervision order for downloading related offences. I get seen by PPU once every 6 months and my MAPPA social worker monthly.

I have booked to go to Dominican Republic later this year. I have read and read online and I cannot find any sources of a UK Citizen being denied entry to Dominican Republic while on SOR.

My PPU officer seems to think it is a risk but on the other hand he think's it will be fine? His only source of information is "it's always a risk when you travel outside EU as you dont have a right to enter any non-EU country".

I have flat-out asked whether he will issue a Green Notice to Interpol, but I have not yet got a straight answer. In fact, he says that it is outwith his remit and all he does is fill in a form and send it to the "international unit" and it is them who carry out the risk assessment and make the call.

I am very much hoping that as long as a Green Notice is not issued, then I will be fine with Dominican.

I've seen someone on here be refused entry to Mexico, but Mexico are part of the US "Angel Watch"/ "Megan's Law" programme so they notify everyone.

I've attached 2 documents  I found online which explain in detail what the police processes are.

PS. If I get refused, what are the chances that my travel insurance would cover it? Given that it is out of my control?

It might be that nobody who was stopped reported it online when they got back.... Even so, it would all depend on what the police's decision is. If they issue a green notice, they are effectively saying that they think you are going abroad to offend (which is what green notices are for), so you would almost certainly be stopped. Holders of a UK passport don't need a visa, so you wouldn't need to notify them ahead of your arrival. That may or may not influence the police's decision on whether to issue a green notice. Some forces do it after a full risk assessment, while others seem to take the approach that if you're on the SOR it's a risk they don't want to take. In terms of your travel insurance, did they ask about your criminal record when you took out the insurance? If not, is it in the policy documents or their assumptions? If the disclosure question is there, then they would probably avoid the policy, but if it isn't then you might get money, depending on any exclusions in the policy, such as "relating to criminal activity", which is suitably loose wording to give them a get-out.

AB2014, Thanks for the quick reply. I asked the OMU/PPU officer specifically if he or any of his colleagues have knowledge of anyone being refused in Dominican, and he went away and checked and called me about 3 days later, saying he had spoken to the "international unit" and they have checked the gov.uk website and Dominican Embassy website and confirmed there is no need for a Visa and there are no restrictions on someone with criminal convictions entering so therefore I should be fine. Regarding the green notice he basically pleaded ignorant and said it wasn't him who issued the details to interpol, it was above his pay grade!

Regarding the insurance, it's actually with my wife's Nationwide bank account, and when I checked the policy at the time of her taking out the insurance it didn't mention anything about the policy being void if you have convictions, it just said in their privacy policy bit "we are allowed to collect information related to unspent past criminal convictions or offences".  Having checked it again it seems they have updated it and now it also says under exclusions any claim arising from "your unlawful act". They couldn't use that clause could they?

Unfortunately, the answer to that might depend on who can afford the best lawyer....  Angry

True Sad 
Hoping it will not come to that though, and a green notice will not be issued.

I've read that even if a green notice is not issued, they still may send an Interpol "dissemination notice" to the destination country. I wonder how much those are paid attention to though. Last year I went to the DR before I was on the SOR and the agent at the booth didn't even open my passport, just took our landing cards and said on you go! 
I'm guessing though that they must check the flight passenger manifests and that is why the passport check is not thorough.

A diffusion notice is less formal and is actually asking for co-operation rather than warning about someone. What is done depends on what is in the notice and who receives it.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

RMUK
RMUK
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)

AB2014 - 6 Jun 19 3:38 PM
RMUK - 6 Jun 19 3:30 PM
AB2014 - 6 Jun 19 2:53 PM

It might be that nobody who was stopped reported it online when they got back.... Even so, it would all depend on what the police's decision is. If they issue a green notice, they are effectively saying that they think you are going abroad to offend (which is what green notices are for), so you would almost certainly be stopped. Holders of a UK passport don't need a visa, so you wouldn't need to notify them ahead of your arrival. That may or may not influence the police's decision on whether to issue a green notice. Some forces do it after a full risk assessment, while others seem to take the approach that if you're on the SOR it's a risk they don't want to take. In terms of your travel insurance, did they ask about your criminal record when you took out the insurance? If not, is it in the policy documents or their assumptions? If the disclosure question is there, then they would probably avoid the policy, but if it isn't then you might get money, depending on any exclusions in the policy, such as "relating to criminal activity", which is suitably loose wording to give them a get-out.

AB2014, Thanks for the quick reply. I asked the OMU/PPU officer specifically if he or any of his colleagues have knowledge of anyone being refused in Dominican, and he went away and checked and called me about 3 days later, saying he had spoken to the "international unit" and they have checked the gov.uk website and Dominican Embassy website and confirmed there is no need for a Visa and there are no restrictions on someone with criminal convictions entering so therefore I should be fine. Regarding the green notice he basically pleaded ignorant and said it wasn't him who issued the details to interpol, it was above his pay grade!

Regarding the insurance, it's actually with my wife's Nationwide bank account, and when I checked the policy at the time of her taking out the insurance it didn't mention anything about the policy being void if you have convictions, it just said in their privacy policy bit "we are allowed to collect information related to unspent past criminal convictions or offences".  Having checked it again it seems they have updated it and now it also says under exclusions any claim arising from "your unlawful act". They couldn't use that clause could they?

Unfortunately, the answer to that might depend on who can afford the best lawyer....  Angry

True Sad 
Hoping it will not come to that though, and a green notice will not be issued.

I've read that even if a green notice is not issued, they still may send an Interpol "dissemination notice" to the destination country. I wonder how much those are paid attention to though. Last year I went to the DR before I was on the SOR and the agent at the booth didn't even open my passport, just took our landing cards and said on you go! 
I'm guessing though that they must check the flight passenger manifests and that is why the passport check is not thorough.
GO