theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Lets List Countries That Refuse Entry to people with a SOR

Lets List Countries That Refuse Entry to people with a SOR

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
RMUK - 6 Jun 19 3:30 PM
AB2014 - 6 Jun 19 2:53 PM
RMUK - 6 Jun 19 2:45 PM
I am on SOR for 3 years and community supervision order for downloading related offences. I get seen by PPU once every 6 months and my MAPPA social worker monthly.

I have booked to go to Dominican Republic later this year. I have read and read online and I cannot find any sources of a UK Citizen being denied entry to Dominican Republic while on SOR.

My PPU officer seems to think it is a risk but on the other hand he think's it will be fine? His only source of information is "it's always a risk when you travel outside EU as you dont have a right to enter any non-EU country".

I have flat-out asked whether he will issue a Green Notice to Interpol, but I have not yet got a straight answer. In fact, he says that it is outwith his remit and all he does is fill in a form and send it to the "international unit" and it is them who carry out the risk assessment and make the call.

I am very much hoping that as long as a Green Notice is not issued, then I will be fine with Dominican.

I've seen someone on here be refused entry to Mexico, but Mexico are part of the US "Angel Watch"/ "Megan's Law" programme so they notify everyone.

I've attached 2 documents  I found online which explain in detail what the police processes are.

It says if you are travelling to a "high-risk" country in terms of CSE, they may send a green notice regardless of whether you are low risk or not.

Any insight of this destination would be greatly greatly appreciated!

PS. If I get refused, what are the chances that my travel insurance would cover it? Given that it is out of my control?

It might be that nobody who was stopped reported it online when they got back.... Even so, it would all depend on what the police's decision is. If they issue a green notice, they are effectively saying that they think you are going abroad to offend (which is what green notices are for), so you would almost certainly be stopped. Holders of a UK passport don't need a visa, so you wouldn't need to notify them ahead of your arrival. That may or may not influence the police's decision on whether to issue a green notice. Some forces do it after a full risk assessment, while others seem to take the approach that if you're on the SOR it's a risk they don't want to take. In terms of your travel insurance, did they ask about your criminal record when you took out the insurance? If not, is it in the policy documents or their assumptions? If the disclosure question is there, then they would probably avoid the policy, but if it isn't then you might get money, depending on any exclusions in the policy, such as "relating to criminal activity", which is suitably loose wording to give them a get-out.

AB2014, Thanks for the quick reply. I asked the OMU/PPU officer specifically if he or any of his colleagues have knowledge of anyone being refused in Dominican, and he went away and checked and called me about 3 days later, saying he had spoken to the "international unit" and they have checked the gov.uk website and Dominican Embassy website and confirmed there is no need for a Visa and there are no restrictions on someone with criminal convictions entering so therefore I should be fine. Regarding the green notice he basically pleaded ignorant and said it wasn't him who issued the details to interpol, it was above his pay grade!

Regarding the insurance, it's actually with my wife's Nationwide bank account, and when I checked the policy at the time of her taking out the insurance it didn't mention anything about the policy being void if you have convictions, it just said in their privacy policy bit "we are allowed to collect information related to unspent past criminal convictions or offences".  Having checked it again it seems they have updated it and now it also says under exclusions any claim arising from "your unlawful act". They couldn't use that clause could they?

Unfortunately, the answer to that might depend on who can afford the best lawyer....  Angry

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

RMUK
RMUK
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)

AB2014 - 6 Jun 19 2:53 PM
I am on SOR for 3 years and community supervision order for downloading related offences. I get seen by PPU once every 6 months and my MAPPA social worker monthly.

I have booked to go to Dominican Republic later this year. I have read and read online and I cannot find any sources of a UK Citizen being denied entry to Dominican Republic while on SOR.

My PPU officer seems to think it is a risk but on the other hand he think's it will be fine? His only source of information is "it's always a risk when you travel outside EU as you dont have a right to enter any non-EU country".

I have flat-out asked whether he will issue a Green Notice to Interpol, but I have not yet got a straight answer. In fact, he says that it is outwith his remit and all he does is fill in a form and send it to the "international unit" and it is them who carry out the risk assessment and make the call.

I am very much hoping that as long as a Green Notice is not issued, then I will be fine with Dominican.

I've seen someone on here be refused entry to Mexico, but Mexico are part of the US "Angel Watch"/ "Megan's Law" programme so they notify everyone.

I've attached 2 documents  I found online which explain in detail what the police processes are.

It says if you are travelling to a "high-risk" country in terms of CSE, they may send a green notice regardless of whether you are low risk or not.

PS. If I get refused, what are the chances that my travel insurance would cover it? Given that it is out of my control?

It might be that nobody who was stopped reported it online when they got back.... Even so, it would all depend on what the police's decision is. If they issue a green notice, they are effectively saying that they think you are going abroad to offend (which is what green notices are for), so you would almost certainly be stopped. Holders of a UK passport don't need a visa, so you wouldn't need to notify them ahead of your arrival. That may or may not influence the police's decision on whether to issue a green notice. Some forces do it after a full risk assessment, while others seem to take the approach that if you're on the SOR it's a risk they don't want to take. In terms of your travel insurance, did they ask about your criminal record when you took out the insurance? If not, is it in the policy documents or their assumptions? If the disclosure question is there, then they would probably avoid the policy, but if it isn't then you might get money, depending on any exclusions in the policy, such as "relating to criminal activity", which is suitably loose wording to give them a get-out.

AB2014, Thanks for the quick reply. I asked the OMU/PPU officer specifically if he or any of his colleagues have knowledge of anyone being refused in Dominican, and he went away and checked and called me about 3 days later, saying he had spoken to the "international unit" and they have checked the gov.uk website and Dominican Embassy website and confirmed there is no need for a Visa and there are no restrictions on someone with criminal convictions entering so therefore I should be fine. Regarding the green notice he basically pleaded ignorant and said it wasn't him who issued the details to interpol, it was above his pay grade!

Regarding the insurance, it's actually with my wife's Nationwide bank account, and when I checked the policy at the time of her taking out the insurance it didn't mention anything about the policy being void if you have convictions, it just said in their privacy policy bit "we are allowed to collect information related to unspent past criminal convictions or offences".  Having checked it again it seems they have updated it and now it also says under exclusions any claim arising from "your unlawful act". They couldn't use that clause could they?
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

RMUK
RMUK
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)

Attachments
Travelling abroad.pdf (410 views, 190.00 KB)
NCA000292.pdf (459 views, 801.00 KB)
Albut
Albut
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (233 reputation)Supreme Being (233 reputation)Supreme Being (233 reputation)Supreme Being (233 reputation)Supreme Being (233 reputation)Supreme Being (233 reputation)Supreme Being (233 reputation)Supreme Being (233 reputation)Supreme Being (233 reputation)

BenS - 7 Sep 18 10:49 AM
Monkos - 28 Aug 18 6:36 PM

Again, they have to tell you if they are going to do that, and they have to have a legitimate reason to think you are going there to commit a new crime.

Can you provide the source of this information?

As far as I know, and according to multiple sources and personal testimonies, the PPU has absolutely no obligation whatsoever to tell you whether they will add a green notice to your passport. Moreover, it is highly likely that they will not tell you. Stories on here of people asking their PPU flat-out whether they have a green notice have always resulted in the PPU refusing to answer.

If you notify travel to any EU or Schengen country, a SISII alert will always be generated. The PPU has no discretion here. But this is not a huge deal (currently), as you have the basically unconditional right to enter any EU country (the existence of convictions is not valid grounds to refuse an EU citizen entry to an EU country). You might get some tough questions but will then be let through.

But if you notify travel to a non-EU, non-Schengen country, as far as I know it is totally up to the PPU's discretion as to whether or not to issue an Interpol green notice, and they don't have to tell you.

Monkos
Monkos
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

BenS - 7 Sep 18 10:49 AM

Again, they have to tell you if they are going to do that, and they have to have a legitimate reason to think you are going there to commit a new crime.

As far as I know, and according to multiple sources and personal testimonies, the PPU has absolutely no obligation whatsoever to tell you whether they will add a green notice to your passport. Moreover, it is highly likely that they will not tell you. Stories on here of people asking their PPU flat-out whether they have a green notice have always resulted in the PPU refusing to answer.

If you notify travel to any EU or Schengen country, a SISII alert will always be generated. The PPU has no discretion here. But this is not a huge deal (currently), as you have the basically unconditional right to enter any EU country (the existence of convictions is not valid grounds to refuse an EU citizen entry to an EU country). You might get some tough questions but will then be let through.

But if you notify travel to a non-EU, non-Schengen country, as far as I know it is totally up to the PPU's discretion as to whether or not to issue an Interpol green notice, and they don't have to tell you.

As per my other reply, this is from expert lawyers. If you are on the SOR, you should validate everything PPU do with your lawyer to make sure they don't abuse the system.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Edited
6 Years Ago by BenS
Monkos
Monkos
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Yankee - 28 Aug 18 6:18 PM
Monkos - 28 Aug 18 1:10 PM
Harry53 - 19 Feb 18 5:00 PM
(SOR = Sexual offenders register)
I am writing from the UK and I have a 10 year SOR.
One spin off from this is the restriction of travel. So I thought why don't we all build a listings of countries that are quite rightly protecting children from abusers. I will start the list off but please add to it. Some cojuntries are obvious but others like Japan may still ask the question which pose problems. I want to hear from anyone who has in the last year, known of any problems gaining entry to countries, or that have refused entry. 

There seems to be no listing that is up-to-date, so I thought this would be useful.

For example, I was told that Indonesia was ok to visit, but on posting on an expats forum, it seems most likely not. So here goes....countries I am 95% sure will refuse entry to anyone on the SOR:
1  THAILAND
2  INDIA
3  SRI LANKA
4  PHILIPPINES
5  MALAYSIA
6  CAMBODIA
7  INDONESIA
8  VIETNAM
9  SINGAPORE
10 USA
11 AUSTRALIA

Some countries like NEW ZEALAND ask if you have ever been refused entry to a country, which means it is best to apply for a visa and disclose details.

Please add to this list as having experienced being refused entry into the Philippines just 8 weeks after visiting, I feel it is of the utmost importance to do research before booking a flight or holiday. To be turned away is the most stressful and embarrassing experience in my entire life. Do NOT LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU.

Having been to many of those countries while on SOR I can tell you that they have no way of knowing you're on the SOR unless you tell them yourself. The only way you'd be turned away from Philippines for example is if you declared your conviction.

Or your PPU has issued a Green Notice after you notified travel, the Philippines system has been updated and the border agent bothered to scan your passport and it registered a hit against the warnings database...

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

Monkos - 28 Aug 18 1:10 PM
One spin off from this is the restriction of travel. So I thought why don't we all build a listings of countries that are quite rightly protecting children from abusers. I will start the list off but please add to it. Some cojuntries are obvious but others like Japan may still ask the question which pose problems. I want to hear from anyone who has in the last year, known of any problems gaining entry to countries, or that have refused entry. 

There seems to be no listing that is up-to-date, so I thought this would be useful.

For example, I was told that Indonesia was ok to visit, but on posting on an expats forum, it seems most likely not. So here goes....countries I am 95% sure will refuse entry to anyone on the SOR:
1  THAILAND
2  INDIA
3  SRI LANKA
4  PHILIPPINES
5  MALAYSIA
6  CAMBODIA
7  INDONESIA
8  VIETNAM
9  SINGAPORE
10 USA
11 AUSTRALIA

Some countries like NEW ZEALAND ask if you have ever been refused entry to a country, which means it is best to apply for a visa and disclose details.

Please add to this list as having experienced being refused entry into the Philippines just 8 weeks after visiting, I feel it is of the utmost importance to do research before booking a flight or holiday. To be turned away is the most stressful and embarrassing experience in my entire life. Do NOT LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU.

Having been to many of those countries while on SOR I can tell you that they have no way of knowing you're on the SOR unless you tell them yourself. The only way you'd be turned away from Philippines for example is if you declared your conviction.

Or your PPU has issued a Green Notice after you notified travel, the Philippines system has been updated and the border agent bothered to scan your passport and it registered a hit against the warnings database...
Monkos
Monkos
Supreme Being

1  THAILAND
2  INDIA
3  SRI LANKA
4  PHILIPPINES
5  MALAYSIA
6  CAMBODIA
7  INDONESIA
8  VIETNAM
9  SINGAPORE
10 USA
11 AUSTRALIA

GO