theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

saying hi

saying hi

Author
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
oldyp - 27 Sep 18 4:04 PM

Thanks, yes a lifetime ago!
Am I correct in thinking that if the DBS check was basic, these offences wouldn't show up, given that none of them is sexual or violent in nature?

Correct. A basic DBS check only shows unspent convictions. Even if the offences were sexual or violent in nature, they would not show up on a basic check if they are spent.
oldyp
oldyp
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

BenS - 28 Sep 18 7:58 AM
oldyp - 27 Sep 18 4:04 PM

Thanks, yes a lifetime ago!
Am I correct in thinking that if the DBS check was basic, these offences wouldn't show up, given that none of them is sexual or violent in nature?

Correct. A basic DBS check only shows unspent convictions. Even if the offences were sexual or violent in nature, they would not show up on a basic check if they are spent.

Thanks, Ben. Very useful info.

Neo Matrix
Neo Matrix
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

Hey Oldyp

Thanks for sharing your story.

Crazy to think that these minor mistakes from your past could jeopardise a career you have been in for so long.

There is not much more i can add from what the guys have already suggested. 

I also have 2x convictions for theft related offences which are due to be spent next month.

Although mine are much more recent than yours i just wanted to say that To date i have not had any problems with employment although i have been in the same job for almost 5 years now.
I gained employment 8 months after being released from prison with 2 unspent convictions i served 4 months of a 15 month sentence.

So its not all doom and gloom. I am hoping that once they have been spent that more opportunities will open for me in terms of gaining better employment as I am currently in an unskilled roll and not for filling my full potential.
I hope you do not experience any issues and because you have got a good connection with your colleague hopefully that will put you in good light.

Keep us updated and all the best.

Neo

oldyp
oldyp
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

GaryTS - 30 Sep 18 9:06 PM
Hey Oldyp

Thanks for sharing your story.

Crazy to think that these minor mistakes from your past could jeopardise a career you have been in for so long.

There is not much more i can add from what the guys have already suggested. 

I also have 2x convictions for theft related offences which are due to be spent next month.

Although mine are much more recent than yours i just wanted to say that To date i have not had any problems with employment although i have been in the same job for almost 5 years now.
I gained employment 8 months after being released from prison with 2 unspent convictions i served 4 months of a 15 month sentence.

So its not all doom and gloom. I am hoping that once they have been spent that more opportunities will open for me in terms of gaining better employment as I am currently in an unskilled roll and not for filling my full potential.
I hope you do not experience any issues and because you have got a good connection with your colleague hopefully that will put you in good light.

Keep us updated and all the best.

Neo

Thanks, Neo
This is the first time in all those years that I have been required to submit a DBS check and I've had quite a few positions in the UK and elsewhere. Ironic that this should come back to bite me as I near the end of my career!
I hope that you manage to get the role you want and deserve, a slip-up from the past really shouldn't carry weight as we grow and become more mature. Either one is a risk or one is not, to me it seems quite clear and those of us with petty or irrelevant offences which bear no relationship with the current person, should have them wiped altogether from the records.
I hope it all works out for you soon.

GO