theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Settled and pre-settled status for EU citizens and criminal record

Settled and pre-settled status for EU citizens and criminal record

Author
Miguel
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Deb S - 19 Mar 19 1:57 PM

Hi Miguel

I'm really interested for an update on your application for settled status. How did you get on?

Best wishes

Debbie

Hi, a little update.

I eventually submitted my Settled Status application last week and I've just received confirmation that I have Indefinite Leave to Remain under the EU Settlement Scheme. I did not declare any criminal record, so it appears I didn't have to, otherwise the H.O. would have thrown an exception, as they surely check against the Police database.

Next stage could be UK citizenship, maybe, but I'll have to wait a full year anyway.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Miguel - 10 May 19 8:51 AM

Hi Miguel

I'm really interested for an update on your application for settled status. How did you get on?

Best wishes

Debbie

Hi, a little update.

I eventually submitted my Settled Status application last week and I've just received confirmation that I have Indefinite Leave to Remain under the EU Settlement Scheme. I did not declare any criminal record, so it appears I didn't have to, otherwise the H.O. would have thrown an exception, as they surely check against the Police database.

Next stage could be UK citizenship, maybe, but I'll have to wait a full year anyway.

Congratulations on your success! It's good to know the system actually works.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

Hi Miguel

Best wishes

Debbie

Hi, a little update.

Well done, that must be a relief for you.

On British citizenship, you should take the full year to consider whether you want to elect to be English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish - if you have friends from any of those countries, I'm sure they wil try and convince you theirs is the best!
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

Yankee - 13 May 19 10:17 AM

Hi Miguel

Best wishes

Debbie

Hi, a little update.

On British citizenship, you should take the full year to consider whether you want to elect to be English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish - if you have friends from any of those countries, I'm sure they wil try and convince you theirs is the best!

Hi Miguel - I was only joking.

Many years ago I had an American colleague who was applying for British citizenship and we told him he had to choose one of the four home nations and got everyone in the office to start lobbying him on behalf of their country (the Scotsman got carried away with the bottle of whisky and shortbread biscuits). Great wind up that went on for several days....
Miguel
Miguel
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)

If Scotland was independent, I'd hurry up and claim citizenship right now. I'd walk to Aberdeen barefoot (way more than 500 miles from here!).

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Miguel - 14 May 19 8:35 AM

If Scotland was independent, I'd hurry up and claim citizenship right now. I'd walk to Aberdeen barefoot (way more than 500 miles from here!).

I hear what you're saying. I could claim Scottish citizenship by marriage. Even though I haven't seen my wife for years, we're still married. Sadly, my Irish ancestry is one generation too far back for me to claim. Sad 

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Same here!

The most beautiful part of the UK (one of the most beautiful places in the world), brilliant people and by far the most sensible place politically.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

BenS - 14 May 19 12:50 PM

Same here!

The most beautiful part of the UK (one of the most beautiful places in the world), brilliant people and by far the most sensible place politically.

I've heard it said that New Zealand was created to compensate antipodeans for being so far from Scotland.... Wink 

GO