theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Big changes to SO registration proposed

Big changes to SO registration proposed

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi
I had a reply from my OM today regarding the report, due to the way he phrased his words I do think he did ask higher authorities but basically he stated "they have not been involved as yet."

He is helpful, for instance saved me a trip to amend something on my SOR doc, so have to wait and see.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
punter99 - 19 Sep 23 11:41 AM
JASB - 19 Sep 23 8:47 AM
Mr W - 18 Sep 23 3:43 PM
JASB - 17 Sep 23 2:19 PM
Mr W - 16 Sep 23 1:55 PM
punter99 - 16 Sep 23 10:22 AM
Mr W - 15 Sep 23 3:06 PM
I asked about this on my last visit and they'd heard nothing about it and seemed horrified at the idea of orders being discharged/amended *sigh*.

The people on the frontline will be the last to hear about any changes. It's still with the higher ups.

Fair enough. But that still shows the opinion/thought processes of the front line, they can't handle hearing anything that doesn't comply with their current thinking.
Even when, in this case, the line has come from a very experienced senior copper after some considerable thought. If he isn't listened to, who will they listen to?

Hi
Though I could agree with the sentiment - gained from experience - all we can do is raise the opinion of a "senior and respected" official in the hope that it may start to influence; much like the famous "butterfly effect".

In my discussions I often think that the replying official is either: trying to push my stress controls to see how I will respond and then could have a negative comment to write OR they are just ignorant of the "official review" and doesn't want to show that and trying to gain more info so they can raise it back at the office.

We have to remember I would suggest that "we" probably research more than they do; be that from their lack of time or inclination.

Lets hope it is the former!

I'm sure we do. But this is because it affects all parts of our every day (and future) of our short finite life. To them it may just be a job.
But I will not live my life by these insane labels and rules, in my view dangerous rules re: disclosure, for one second more than I absolutely have to.
And I don't say dangerous in a glib manner either, look at the white hot anger around 'top names' who haven't/haven't yet been found guilty of anything.
Especially when you've got a top senior police officer saying things cannot go on like this and our raising of such is effectively dismissed.

Hi
Your points I have raised with all "supervisors" since my sentencing when questioned about employment and relationships. None could offer a solution but maintained the official stance; some even said they would contact the "prospective" employer. 
In my SOPO discharge application I even raised the point, especially over relationships. Though my words did not say a "declaration" would be avoided, I stressed the fact that "caution" was an initial and natural "defence strategy".
Again the Judge accepted that with understanding.

I've now raised the report with my OM asking questions of their knowledge on it; as in theory it would of discharged my SOR requirement 2 years ago.

Keep safe, compassionate and understanding of others.

It's probably not within the OM's pay grade, but perhaps writing to the chief constable, or to the NPCC, may uncover something that is in the pipeline?

At this stage, as it is still with the Home Office, I'm sure that no information would be available from anywhere else. Individual forces won't offer an opinion on what the Chief Police Officer or the Policing and Crime Commissioner might think. The NPCC might be prepared to say what their considered position is as an organisation, or they might not.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)Supreme Being (97K reputation)

punter99 - 19 Sep 23 11:41 AM
I asked about this on my last visit and they'd heard nothing about it and seemed horrified at the idea of orders being discharged/amended *sigh*.

The people on the frontline will be the last to hear about any changes. It's still with the higher ups.

Fair enough. But that still shows the opinion/thought processes of the front line, they can't handle hearing anything that doesn't comply with their current thinking.
Even when, in this case, the line has come from a very experienced senior copper after some considerable thought. If he isn't listened to, who will they listen to?

Hi
Though I could agree with the sentiment - gained from experience - all we can do is raise the opinion of a "senior and respected" official in the hope that it may start to influence; much like the famous "butterfly effect".

In my discussions I often think that the replying official is either: trying to push my stress controls to see how I will respond and then could have a negative comment to write OR they are just ignorant of the "official review" and doesn't want to show that and trying to gain more info so they can raise it back at the office.

We have to remember I would suggest that "we" probably research more than they do; be that from their lack of time or inclination.

I'm sure we do. But this is because it affects all parts of our every day (and future) of our short finite life. To them it may just be a job.
But I will not live my life by these insane labels and rules, in my view dangerous rules re: disclosure, for one second more than I absolutely have to.
And I don't say dangerous in a glib manner either, look at the white hot anger around 'top names' who haven't/haven't yet been found guilty of anything.
Especially when you've got a top senior police officer saying things cannot go on like this and our raising of such is effectively dismissed.

Hi
Your points I have raised with all "supervisors" since my sentencing when questioned about employment and relationships. None could offer a solution but maintained the official stance; some even said they would contact the "prospective" employer. 
In my SOPO discharge application I even raised the point, especially over relationships. Though my words did not say a "declaration" would be avoided, I stressed the fact that "caution" was an initial and natural "defence strategy".

I've now raised the report with my OM asking questions of their knowledge on it; as in theory it would of discharged my SOR requirement 2 years ago.

It's probably not within the OM's pay grade, but perhaps writing to the chief constable, or to the NPCC, may uncover something that is in the pipeline?

Hi I understand your point but after all my discussions and points I've raised about my SOPO and SOR with current and previous OM I have learnt they will pass the pionts to all parties north of them.

Here's hoping the same happens with this one and I will keep you guys informed.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)

Hi

Hi

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Hi

Hi

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)

Hi

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Edited
7 Months Ago by Mr W
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Hi

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)

=====
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Hi
Many thanks.
I'm having to do my Annual earlier as my daughter has moved home so need to remove her address from the "7 days" bit.
Anyway I am going to ask my OM if they have heard anything. As the "authorities" still haven't canceled out my "relevant date" point (for start of 15 yr count down), the Judge who discharged my SOPO saying he would of discharged my SOR requirement if I had applied, I am hoping all in all this will add creditability to my request.

Anyway thanks take care  

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being

=====
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being

JASB - 15 Sep 23 9:57 AM
punter99 - 6 May 23 11:39 AM
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/independent-review-of-police-led-sex-offender-management

Following on from my previous post, about the 'independent' review into policing SO, by a former Chief Constable. I have now read the whole report.

Although the opening paragraphs give the impression that it is the usual SO hating nonsense, this is not a report that the govt wanted to hear. Priti Patel originally asked for it and I think she was hoping it would recommend more punitive restrictions on SO, such as mandatory tagging and polygraph testing of all SO.

But it didn't do that. This report is truly ground breaking and forward thinking, in its suggestions for reform of the SOR.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/derbyshire-government-b2328265.html

Over the next few days, I will go through some of it in more detail, particularly the author's comments about the culture of MOSOVO units. But in the meantime, I would advise everybody on the SOR to read this report. It is only an executive summary, not the whole thing. The full report has been held back. Nevertheless, if the govt were to implement 50% of the recommended changes to the SOR, it would be life changing for many of us.

Now, I know that many people on this forum, will throw up their hands in despair and say that the govt will never change anything, because the haters at the Daily Mail and the Sun will not allow change and the politicians will always listen to them first. I don't believe that.

Reform won't happen, because politicians suddenly begin to care about the welfare of SO, but it could happen, if they recognise that the current system is going to be overwhelmed, unless changes are made.

Hi

As you started this post I was wondering if you have found / read any updates on the "recommendations"?
I was thinking of trying to contact the author but thought ask you first.

Again thanks for finding this.

I do keep my eyes open, but nothing has been published. Mick Creedon was at a conference in London a few weeks ago, talking about his report, but this hasn't appeared on youtube, so I don't know what he said.

The thing is that the current Home Secretary wanted to expand the register to include domestic abusers, and this report specifically tells her not to do that, so she is probably sitting on it. It's conclusions are not what she wants to hear, just before an election. After the election, I expect something will happen. There may be new guidelines issued to the police for example, in the meantime, but so far I've seen nothing.

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

punter99 - 6 May 23 11:39 AM
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/independent-review-of-police-led-sex-offender-management

Following on from my previous post, about the 'independent' review into policing SO, by a former Chief Constable. I have now read the whole report.

Although the opening paragraphs give the impression that it is the usual SO hating nonsense, this is not a report that the govt wanted to hear. Priti Patel originally asked for it and I think she was hoping it would recommend more punitive restrictions on SO, such as mandatory tagging and polygraph testing of all SO.

But it didn't do that. This report is truly ground breaking and forward thinking, in its suggestions for reform of the SOR.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/derbyshire-government-b2328265.html

Over the next few days, I will go through some of it in more detail, particularly the author's comments about the culture of MOSOVO units. But in the meantime, I would advise everybody on the SOR to read this report. It is only an executive summary, not the whole thing. The full report has been held back. Nevertheless, if the govt were to implement 50% of the recommended changes to the SOR, it would be life changing for many of us.

Now, I know that many people on this forum, will throw up their hands in despair and say that the govt will never change anything, because the haters at the Daily Mail and the Sun will not allow change and the politicians will always listen to them first. I don't believe that.

Reform won't happen, because politicians suddenly begin to care about the welfare of SO, but it could happen, if they recognise that the current system is going to be overwhelmed, unless changes are made.

Hi

As you started this post I was wondering if you have found / read any updates on the "recommendations"?
I was thinking of trying to contact the author but thought ask you first.

Again thanks for finding this.

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being

Steadfast - 14 Aug 23 3:38 PM
I don't understand how the SOR has moved so far from managing risk, to being a punishment in itself.

I remember sitting down with my first allocated Police visitor (who was equally lovely, but terrifying - you would not want to cross her), and she said I can usually tell who will reoffend - I'm pretty close to 100% right. She did say that she would put money on me not doing so and I was to not prove her wrong. She frequently stated that it was a waste of time coming to see me because there were others that "needed watching".

I honestly feel the issue is with basic psychology. people who commit a SO are seen as depraved and un-rehabilitative because that suits the narrative that they are better than them. Look, I know I was in a bad place when I done what I done and I am deeply ashamed of it, and pretty sickened by myself. I watched an ex US prisoner on the internet rant about SO's for quite some time - I felt a huge amount of anger and rage, but realised what he was really doing was trying to say 'I done some pretty terrible things, but at least I am not a SO'.

I am rambling, but what I am trying to say is that the issue is society, we have got away from managing risk because things have become to emotive. We need to manage emotion and deal with real risk to protect those who we need to protect. There are people that no doubt need a weekly (or even a daily) police visit. There are those who need intense psychological support. But equally there are those who don't. My opinion is we need to risk assess, manage resources and keep people safe where needed and get ex-offenders contributing to society again.

What has changed is the internet. In the early days of the SOR, there were relatively few people on it and you could argue they were more dangerous than most of the people on the SOR today, as most would be contact offenders. But the internet both facilitated and in many cases created, a whole new breed of non contact offenders. These are people who would never do anything in 'real life', but who would offend online, because of the anonymity that the internet provides. 

The mentality of the public and the police doesn't recognise any distinction between contact and non contact offenders. Despite the PPU repeatedly saying to me that they are not here to police my thoughts, that is exactly what they are doing.
Steadfast
Steadfast
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

I don't understand how the SOR has moved so far from managing risk, to being a punishment in itself.

I remember sitting down with my first allocated Police visitor (who was equally lovely, but terrifying - you would not want to cross her), and she said I can usually tell who will reoffend - I'm pretty close to 100% right. She did say that she would put money on me not doing so and I was to not prove her wrong. She frequently stated that it was a waste of time coming to see me because there were others that "needed watching".

I honestly feel the issue is with basic psychology. people who commit a SO are seen as depraved and un-rehabilitative because that suits the narrative that they are better than them. Look, I know I was in a bad place when I done what I done and I am deeply ashamed of it, and pretty sickened by myself. I watched an ex US prisoner on the internet rant about SO's for quite some time - I felt a huge amount of anger and rage, but realised what he was really doing was trying to say 'I done some pretty terrible things, but at least I am not a SO'.

I am rambling, but what I am trying to say is that the issue is society, we have got away from managing risk because things have become to emotive. We need to manage emotion and deal with real risk to protect those who we need to protect. There are people that no doubt need a weekly (or even a daily) police visit. There are those who need intense psychological support. But equally there are those who don't. My opinion is we need to risk assess, manage resources and keep people safe where needed and get ex-offenders contributing to society again.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)

punter99 - 3 Aug 23 10:16 AM
sainted - 2 Aug 23 8:56 PM
"Those who have not reoffended and are consistently assessed as low risk for at least three years will be considered for reactive management where they do not receive home visits."

So that'll be another excuse to bang on an SHPO and let the software do the monitoring. ;(
Whatever "reactiive whatever" brings, it won't be to our benefit.

Even if they use monitoring software, that is still a drain on their resources. The software tends to produce lots of false positives, which then have to assessed by a person to see if there is a real risk.

The biggest problem is getting them to agree to reactive management in the first place.

For the time being, reactive management is subject to local policy. If they don't feel over-stretched then why would they change? Also, if there are officers in those areas who see it as a quiet life and much easier than dealing with organised crime, etc. then they might want to make themselves look busy. Others might have that negative attitude where they are happy to make things difficult for you, even though it makes things difficult for themselves at the same time. Too many variables, so a standard approach like that in the Creedon report would help all round. 

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being

sainted - 2 Aug 23 8:56 PM
"Those who have not reoffended and are consistently assessed as low risk for at least three years will be considered for reactive management where they do not receive home visits."

So that'll be another excuse to bang on an SHPO and let the software do the monitoring. ;(

Even if they use monitoring software, that is still a drain on their resources. The software tends to produce lots of false positives, which then have to assessed by a person to see if there is a real risk.

The biggest problem is getting them to agree to reactive management in the first place.
sainted
sainted
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 11 May 23 3:38 PM
Lineofduty - 11 May 23 1:59 PM
Mr W - 11 May 23 10:59 AM

Thanks. I don't see how they can't make visits when there is such a "just in case" mentality. If they took a more supportive role, I would contact them more and any check ins could happen then, but no, as long as they're negative and punitive, then neither party are happy.

Spot on. Couldn't agree more.  As i've said to them on many occasions, they know nothing about my personal history/events leading up to offence/s and if they were more engaging/human then they would get to see the real person and see that the "just in case" is irrelevant for most RSO's (who in the majority in their right mind would want to re-offend and go through that sh*t-show again?). 
Instead they CHOOSE to be like robots:  cold, according to my PPU "respectfully sceptical" (the new buzz phrase for "just in case" dear lord), defensive, overstep their authority, lie to your face and on their Notes and generally rule by fear, threat and intimidation.

I'd be the first to admit that I am one of those who thinks that these initiatives will never lead to change while governments are beholden to the media. However, the game-changer here is that the recommendations are coming from a senior police officer at the request of the Home Secretary. I still think it will take time, and certainly won't be on the timescale suggested in the review, but as it combines operational knowledge with a clear vision of what is needed and also practical. I'm not allowing myself to hope just yet, but this is the first green shoot for me. 🤞

Fully agree with your words.

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Mr W - 10 May 23 4:34 PM
I read the report and wondered whether to post here or not. I made notes as I read it. I've had to pull back on my sarcasm but a little may creep in. #SorryNotSorry Here goes...

“In terms of managing risk and protecting communities, an unequal process, structure and investment is in place.”
I’m glad this is recognised, drug dealers who use children don’t get the same schtick that we do, even though they bring misery on their family, community and directly groom, harm and traumatise that child. I find that utterly bizarre.

“In addition, working with those offenders convicted of a sexual offence should avoid an overly negative, blame-laden and punitive mindset and approach which is not only contrary to the values of this country, but also fails to recognise and support the desired and necessary path to desistance, which brings the danger of forcing offenders back to the negative place that potentially spawned their initial offending, despite the evidence that many of those convicted will not reoffend.”
I’m glad the punitive mindset has been mentioned. One of the factors in offending is feeling of disconnection, punitive measures to stop people engaging in completely legal activities needs to be addressed.

“I am also clear that, with a strategic objective of wherever possible rebuilding and rehabilitating offenders to prevent further offending, the best way to serve and protect victims is to better serve offenders.”

This is right, you’re either taking responsibility of what happens post-sentence or you’re not, the system in my experience has certainly felt half-a-job and not because of volume. The attitude of *some* police make this a lot more difficult than it needs to be.

“Focus should be on reoffending and risk rather than technical, accidental, and/or non-risky breaches of civil orders or notification requirements. Within my full report, I set out the arguments for supporting desistance and successful reintegration into society, but this *will not be possible if offenders are unable to exist without falling foul of overly pedantic breaches*.

‘Overly pedantic breaches’ - music to my ears. Threats and gaslighting with no actual arrests is disgusting behvaiour. Get joining gyms guys, best thing you can do for your mind and body. On a more serious note, trying to explain the pedantry to others often means you get excluded from things, because friends and family start to think "won't invite just in case..." which in turn increases isolation. I did see a story recently about someone in court and jailed over usernames on dating sites or something, it was purely head in hands moment, when you consider the resource and cost going into that case. Interested to see what the 'full report' actually suggests here. 

“The notification scheme has now grown to such an extent that the opportunity cost of maintaining its bureaucracy set against the reality of the benefit is too great.”

True, over the phone works fine. It should be the same for changes, a new username or bank account or whatever. My nearest station is 15 min drive.

“The post-conviction and post-sentence experience should be one of reform, rehabilitation, and mending”
Should be, but it isn’t, so how?

Out of nowhere, the recommendation of audio/video recording visits appears without any explanation or consideration for consent. 

Can anyone here explain what reactive management means? I've not come across that term.
I recommend that all forces should review and where necessary seek to amend or discharge remaining Sexual Harm Prevention Orders to ensure they remain necessary, enforceable and compliant with relevant case law, including ensuring they align with and do not exceed notification periods. This process should start with all those in place for offenders subject to reactive management.
 My interest was piqued here. 
Many of us would be spent by now, but these orders keep us unspent for arbitrary lengths, why does an employer today need to know I got the knock 7 years ago?! A decade of this constant second-guessing is too much.

Overall, without seeing the 'full' report, I can't see much changing in the immediate future and with a potential change in government, we have a sitting duck govt who can't take the credit for anything good. I'd imagine Patel wanted quick fix and big headlines to spout off about, wherever she is now, but she hasn't got anything here.

Hi
you have answered/raised many of the points that came to my mine; thanks you.
Though the "voters reactive view" will be considered I am hoping that the fiscal worries held by the Treasury, and negative view held by those same voters : need more Police, could help decissions favour us.

when you think about "reactive management" think of it along the lines of you planning and organising your life e.g. direct debits to pay elec etc, giving money to your other half on the 1st of each month etc, it is thought about and "actions" completed too ensure life works.

Then you suddenly find out your other half is running away with the local milkman; how do you react at that sudden change in the normal routine of life? You "react" and for instance stop giving her money on the 1st of the month! That is an example of what is called reactive management
In context with us, they see we have a normalish life and so have a soft touch management style with us, BUT change i.e. get them suspious then they revert back to looking at us as a "need".

GO