theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Big changes to SO registration proposed

Big changes to SO registration proposed

Author
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/independent-review-of-police-led-sex-offender-management

Following on from my previous post, about the 'independent' review into policing SO, by a former Chief Constable. I have now read the whole report.

Although the opening paragraphs give the impression that it is the usual SO hating nonsense, this is not a report that the govt wanted to hear. Priti Patel originally asked for it and I think she was hoping it would recommend more punitive restrictions on SO, such as mandatory tagging and polygraph testing of all SO.

But it didn't do that. This report is truly ground breaking and forward thinking, in its suggestions for reform of the SOR.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/derbyshire-government-b2328265.html

Over the next few days, I will go through some of it in more detail, particularly the author's comments about the culture of MOSOVO units. But in the meantime, I would advise everybody on the SOR to read this report. It is only an executive summary, not the whole thing. The full report has been held back. Nevertheless, if the govt were to implement 50% of the recommended changes to the SOR, it would be life changing for many of us.

Now, I know that many people on this forum, will throw up their hands in despair and say that the govt will never change anything, because the haters at the Daily Mail and the Sun will not allow change and the politicians will always listen to them first. I don't believe that.

Reform won't happen, because politicians suddenly begin to care about the welfare of SO, but it could happen, if they recognise that the current system is going to be overwhelmed, unless changes are made.
GO

Threaded View

Threaded View
punter99 - Last Year
JASB - Last Year
JASB - Last Year
punter99 - Last Year
                 + x [quote] [b] punter99 - 9 May 23 11:11 AM [/b]...
JASB - Last Year
                     + x [quote] [b] JASB - 9 May 23 4:51 PM [/b] +...
punter99 - Last Year
                         + x [quote] [b] punter99 - 10 May 23 10:44 AM [/b]...
JASB - Last Year
Mr W - Last Year
punter99 - Last Year
Mr W - Last Year
                     + x [quote] [b] Mr W - 11 May 23 10:59 AM [/b]...
Lineofduty - Last Year
                         + x [quote] [b] Lineofduty - 11 May 23 1:59 PM [/b]...
AB2014 - Last Year
                             + x [quote] [b] AB2014 - 11 May 23 3:38 PM [/b] +...
JASB - Last Year
JASB - Last Year
sainted - 9 Months Ago
punter99 - 9 Months Ago
                 + x [quote] [b] punter99 - 3 Aug 23 10:16 AM [/b]...
AB2014 - 9 Months Ago
Steadfast - 9 Months Ago
punter99 - 9 Months Ago
JASB - 8 Months Ago
punter99 - 8 Months Ago
Mr W - 8 Months Ago
punter99 - 8 Months Ago
Mr W - 8 Months Ago
                     + x [quote] [b] Mr W - 16 Sep 23 1:55 PM [/b] +...
JASB - 8 Months Ago
                         + x [quote] [b] JASB - 17 Sep 23 2:19 PM [/b] +...
Mr W - 8 Months Ago
                             + x [quote] [b] Mr W - 18 Sep 23 3:43 PM [/b] +...
JASB - 8 Months Ago
                                 + x [quote] [b] JASB - 19 Sep 23 8:47 AM [/b] +...
punter99 - 8 Months Ago
                                     + x [quote] [b] punter99 - 19 Sep 23 11:41 AM [/b]...
JASB - 8 Months Ago
                                     + x [quote] [b] punter99 - 19 Sep 23 11:41 AM [/b]...
AB2014 - 8 Months Ago
JASB - 8 Months Ago
JASB - 8 Months Ago