theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Us travel with conviction

Us travel with conviction

Author
JintyD
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi there.....not sure how serious your offence actually was but doesn't seem so bad. My own offence was committed in the UK - first time offender - but received a year's prison sentence, served three months in prison and three months at home with electronic tag. This was 9 years ago. I applied last year for a visa, had to get a Police Report (for which you have to pay) pay online fee for the Visa which is around £105 then travel to Belfast for interview, saw the Visa Officer there and was told I may not get a visa but they would put it to Homeland Security. I received, a couple of months later, a letter advising me that they were giving me a tourist's visa for a year. Unfortunately we couldn't go to USA due to lack of funds but plan on going next year. You have to go through the same procedure every time you want to visit the USA i.e. apply for the visa online, pay the fee, travel to Belfast or London and then await the outcome. I was told that even although I was granted a visa I could still be turned away at passport control which is extremely worrying. However I will take my chances next year. I've never heard of having to wait 15 years. Although my conviction will be "spent" next year (i.e. 10 years in Scotland) in the eyes of the American authorities it is never actually spent. Hope this helps. You have absolutely nothing to lose by applying. Good luck. :-)
Hansburn
Hansburn
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (464 reputation)Supreme Being (464 reputation)Supreme Being (464 reputation)Supreme Being (464 reputation)Supreme Being (464 reputation)Supreme Being (464 reputation)Supreme Being (464 reputation)Supreme Being (464 reputation)Supreme Being (464 reputation)

Hi looking for some advice.

I was arrested for simple possession including paraphernalia in USA while traveling in 2003 (24 at the time). I went to court and pleaded guiry and was fined.

I wasn't deported. I am now married with children and full time job with no other offenses not even driving.

I have read some posts here of people applying to return to USA after a few years with a similar conviction. I have read online that you have to wait 15 years before applying. Just wabtig to see if anyone could advise me as to whether it would be worth applying now.

My kids are dying to go to Disney and to NYC to visit family who have been over here with us
Bornunlucky
Bornunlucky
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)

Apply well in advance, they make you jump through hoops, its VERY costly too as you have to go to London for 8am and as jintyD says, you have to get police reports etc(which has to be within 6 months of Visa application)
I spent £3k on non refundable tickets and £500 to go London and they refused flat. (3 counts of morale torpetude) they are really zero tolerant,
Disney Paris may be more appealing because the Homeland in USA can send you back at Airport regardless of any London Embassy decision...........its a bit of a risk with the family.
Bornunlucky
Bornunlucky
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)

us have no access to uk police records.
GO